Advice for 2.1 stereo system

Knightrider

Hi all members, I am new here.
Seeking your guidance and expert advise regarding - New 2.1 stereo system.

I am complete noob in this field. currently using F&D 6000 (5.1) speaker system connected to my PC for music, movies and games. Until 5years ago was using Sony HTiB (5.1), which din't sounded as good as Sony stereo HTiB we had before that. That lead me to search for better sound experience. Over the years i have learnt a lot of basics from this forum.

After a long painful wait have saved some fund for new set up to enter audiophile world and start journey for audio nirvana. :)

Budget - 1 Lac ( can be expanded to 10-20k)

Listening tastes - Bollywood Music (80's 90's melodies, ghazals, current gen movies songs) occasionally English songs - mainly ragae and songs with good music.

Currently plan to buy 2.1 stereo system, later on buy multichannel set up for movies and integrate it with the 2.1 stereo set up.

Listening area - LxBxH = 16x14x9.5 (feet).
Distance between TV and Couch = 13 feet.
Floor - Marble
Ceiling - False Ceiling made of Gyroproc gypsum board.

Requesting you to advise which Speakers and Stereo receiver to buy for 1 Lac.

My current source for playback is Digital files on PC, (Flac/Wav/MP3).
It will also serve as audio source for movies till i get multichannel setup in future. Do not intend to use BD Player/turntable at present, maybe in future.

Receiver/Dac should have provision to add subwoofer in future.

Looking for good sound quality for the buck.

There are no Shops/Showrooms etc here for aution of any of the brands.
there is only one Yamaha dealer here, but doesn't have anything for audition. So only option left is to buy online.

Please advise brand/product/model no.s with approx price.

Sorry for long post and thanks for your inputs/advise. :)

Hi all members, I am new here.
Seeking your guidance and expert advise regarding - New 2.1 stereo system.

After a long painful wait have saved some fund for new set up to enter audiophile world and start journey for audio nirvana. :)

Budget - 1 Lac ( can be expanded to 10-20k)

Wc to HFV.. That is a good budget to begin with..

Currently plan to buy 2.1 stereo system, later on buy multichannel set up for movies and integrate it with the 2.1 stereo set up.

Best is to get an mutlichannel receiver (AVR) that will double the duty for stereo & movies..

Listening area - LxBxH = 16x14x9.5 (feet).
Distance between TV and Couch = 13 feet.
Floor - Marble
Ceiling - False Ceiling made of Gyroproc gypsum board.

Requesting you to advise which Speakers and Stereo receiver to buy for 1 Lac.

Good room size.. Start with an AVR + 3.1 (or) 3.2 system, which will satisfy you needs of both stereo & movies.. 3 refers to Front Left, Center & Right speakers, .1/2 refers to single or dual subs..

My current source for playback is Digital files on PC, (Flac/Wav/MP3).
It will also serve as audio source for movies till i get multichannel setup in future. Do not intend to use BD Player/turntable at present, maybe in future.

Does your PC has HDMI out? if not consider adding a simple graphics card, which can do the duty of sending the signals to AVR..

Receiver/Dac should have provision to add subwoofer in future.

Looking for good sound quality for the buck.

All AVR has single/dual subwoofer's..

There are no Shops/Showrooms etc here for aution of any of the brands. there is only one Yamaha dealer here, but doesn't have anything for audition. So only option left is to buy online.

Please advise brand/product/model no.s with approx price.

Sorry for long post and thanks for your inputs/advise. :)

hifimart.com would be a better place to buy online...

Elangoas Sir, Thanks for prompt and detailed reply and advise.

A few queries :-

I have read in forum that dedicated Stereo setup is much better than Multichannel receiver for music.
Thathswhy thought of having stereo setup first as my uses are 80 % - music, 20% - movies. So want to have a decent stereo setup first.

Yes, (HDMI) - My PC's motherboard has HDMI out, also have ATI Radeon R9 GPU has HDMI out too.
Do stereo receivers have HDMI inputs ?

Sir, which brand receiver and speakers would suit my music taste (Indian Music) ?

You're pretty much clearer on your requirements, for 20% movies usage multichannel receiver will be useless. 2.1 is fairly good setup for movies as well and getting a good Stereo amplifier with dedicated subwoofer out should be your priority.

1.2L is a good budget for a 2.1 setup and there hasn't been very great advances in technology so a powerful vintage amp with a dedicated DAC ( your source is mostly digital so a dedicated DAC is advisable in your setup). Either way you should look for options for various digital input capabilities in your integrated amp if you're not going for a dedicated DAC.

Most easily appreciable sound quality and signature depends upon the Speakers, so allocating more than 60% of the budget to speakers is advisable, since you're considering a subwoofer as well, your 75% budget should be allocated to speakers plus subwoofer. Your room is midsized and you are adding a dedicated subwoofer, so a powerful bookshelf speakers should be a good deal or you could look for Floor standers as well.

Amps : You should look for Yamaha AS501, Onkyo A9030, CA 651a, Nad 326 with a dedicated subwoofer out can be considered. All will be between 25 - 45 in budget and you can consider used amps as well mainly because of the VFM factor.

Bookshelf : between 40-60k budget Kef Q300, Dynaudio M20, Tannoy Revolution dc6, Klipsch RB-81 II should be considered. Dali zensor 3, Polk RTI a3, Wharfedale 225 are other cheaper options.

Subwoofer : Polk DSW series 550 is one of the preferred for music at 32k approx. Velodyne, Taga SW 10, Dali are other options in this range.

DAC: Modi Multibit seems to be a VFM choice at 23k in current scenario.

Keep a budget for speakers cable as well, audition and decide what suits you before buying. Check local olx or hifiads.com, forum classified for good used gear at VFM price. There's a dali zensor 3 and CA 651a in the classified ads section check out.

Keep us updated with your audition and buying journey so other FMs can chip in with valuable suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DrKrack thanks for you input and and detailed suggestion.

Out of the speakers you suggested I Liked the sound of (1) Wharfadle 225, (2) Dali Zensor 3, (3) KEF Q300 - in descending order.

Tannoy Revolution dc6 is discontinued (info from websites), and rest other sounded too bright for me ( too much high frequency and felt were lacking mids ).

I like mids and punchy bass, not boomy bass.

Thinking of allocating the budgert (1.2L) for Speakers + Amp + DAC (if necessary for playback from PC) for now, to get best possible audio gear and add subwoofer later by saving money for it later.

1)Is it a better approach for better SQ ?
2) Which one is better for stereo - BS or FS ?
3) A noob query - Amp can't be connected directly with PC for audio ?

Don't want to upgrade frequently so trying to buy the best possible components for my budget right now and keep adding components later with saving monies step by step .

Don't want to upgrade frequently so trying to buy the best possible components for my budget right now and keep adding components later with saving monies step by step .

Bookshelf is a misnomer. Call them stand-mounts. If you are inclined towards stand-mounts, I would suggest setting 10/15k for speaker stands.
There is no better, especially when you are considering a sub to go with.
And get a large enough rug to cover floor marble reflections. a bit of attention to speaker placement and taking care of early reflections can make or break a system.

tuff, thanks for your input.

Yor are absolutely right about the nomenclature. Everyone recommends standmounts for them and should be called such too.

Will place rug as advised, thanks for the pro tip. What size rug should i use?

Now "BS+ Stands = approx 50-75k, for the price point would Bookshelfs/Standmounts would provide better sound or Floorstanders ?

Elangoas Sir, Thanks for prompt and detailed reply and advise.

A few queries :-

I have read in forum that dedicated Stereo setup is much better than Multichannel receiver for music.

Thaths why thought of having stereo setup first as my uses are 80 % - music, 20% - movies. So want to have a decent stereo setup first.

Yes, (HDMI) - My PC's motherboard has HDMI out, also have ATI Radeon R9 GPU has HDMI out too.
Do stereo receivers have HDMI inputs ?

Don't worry abt stereo amps being better than AVR (or) Vice versa.. If you are looking to add subwoofer with stereo amp, they don't have bass management, which the AVR has.. AVR also have Digital room correction which can help to optimize sound based on your room response which the stereo amp's don't have..

and lastly, you get the benefit of HDMI connectivity and switching between sources..

Sir, which brand receiver and speakers would suit my music taste (Indian Music) ?

I would suggest Denon AVR x 1300 which will suit all your needs.

As with speakers, don't get carried away by brand popularity (or) get drowned by looks..

Don't spend on speakers until & unless you know what you are after.. So spend less..

I would suggest Taga Harmony.. They have great offering at affordable prices..

DrKrack thanks for you input and and detailed suggestion.

Out of the speakers you suggested I Liked the sound of (1) Wharfadle 225, (2) Dali Zensor 3, (3) KEF Q300 - in descending order.

Tannoy Revolution dc6 is discontinued (info from websites), and rest other sounded too bright for me ( too much high frequency and felt were lacking mids ).

I like mids and punchy bass, not boomy bass.

Thinking of allocating the budgert (1.2L) for Speakers + Amp + DAC (if necessary for playback from PC) for now, to get best possible audio gear and add subwoofer later by saving money for it later.

If you postpone the Subwoofer purchase then FS (floor standers) is a much better option than BSs. BSs vs FS mostly depends upon room size (FS preferably for larger rooms >300sft, but you can use either for your room size) and improved LF response, but lot of it is subjective.

Paradigm Monitor V9
Polk RTI a7
Wharfedale 240
Dali Zensor 7
Kef Q700 these FS can be considered, Combined with the amps as mentioned above should be auditioned. Lot of it is subjective so listen and decide, for instance my preference of BSs will be exactly in the reverse order of what you've mentioned.

Coming to your querries, amp can be directly connected to PC, but people with digital media prefer adding a dedicated DAC in between instead of the on board DAC on the amplifier (me included).

If you are looking for a good AVR consider Marantz 1606 on hifimart.com which will be better for both music and movies.

Another option if I'm not confusing you would be, check out (Google) the rethm bhaava (1.25Lakh) series ; it'll increase your budget by another 30k to accommodate a amp , but it'll be a great 2.2 config for many years of usage.

Last edited:
Elangos Sir, From what i have read in forums, Denon's sound is more suitable for movies. Marantz, Yamaha etc are more suitable for music. Is it so ?

Digital Room correction - thats an imp feature, more so for a noob like me, will keep this in mind.

Looks like I'll have to plan a trip to Kolkata for audition of different combos. Can you please suggest few combos (amp + speaker) that will pair well together. So that I could audition them in shortest possible period of time.

If you are looking for stereo amps do also look at Cambridge audio, NAD , Arcam amps. Audition is a must for buying as it boils down to your own personal taste. Then availability wise Yamaha,Denon,Marantz all do fine IMHO.As for computer playback, make sure it has USB inputs.

DrKrack Sir,

My aim is to have seperate Systems for music and movies. And when i have multichannel system too - intend to integrate stereo system speakers in multichannel setup. Want to have best possible gear as per my affordability from time to time. Thatswhy starting from Stereo setup so that I can atleast have 1 satisfactory setup for now. Will keep on saving for multichannel setup as it would require atleast 3-4 times more money (personal view).

Read about Rethm speakers, appears to be very good. Will definately consider them in the next stage (when I'll have additional funds for such investment)

Query :-

1) Will a 50-70K AVR sound as good as a Stereo Amp of same amount for MUSIC ?
2) What will be approx SQ difference between NAD and Yamaha/Marantz Stereo amps?
3) Please suggest few combos for Stereo and movies seperately.

Will plan a visit to Kolkata for auditions in next few days.

Now "BS+ Stands = approx 50-75k, for the price point would Bookshelfs/Standmounts would provide better sound or Floorstanders ?

50 - 75K is a lot of money, IMO..

You can get a good 5.0 system for <50K

Here is an Ex..

https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-platinum-one-bookshelf-speaker-pair.html?search=Taga

+

https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-platinum-c-40pr-center-speaker.html?search=Taga

+

https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmo...peaker-surround-speaker-pair.html?search=Taga

Elangos Sir, From what i have read in forums, Denon's sound is more suitable for movies. Marantz, Yamaha etc are more suitable for music. Is it so ?

I have used Onkyo AVR for stereo for a decade, a Marantz AVR for a good time, have listened to Yamaha AVR & Pioneer AVR many times...Allmost all of the AVR with the same speaker.. Just started using Denon AVR and already loving it..

Of all the above, i like Onkyo/Denon AVR for both stereo & movies.. It is just my preference..

Digital Room correction - thats an imp feature, more so for a noob like me, will keep this in mind.

Good to have feature in an AVR.. You have the flexibility of trying few things..

Looks like I'll have to plan a trip to Kolkata for audition of different combos. Can you please suggest few combos (amp + speaker) that will pair well together. So that I could audition them in shortest possible period of time.

This can be tricky.. But "Marantz + Dali/Wharfedale" is the favorite of the forum..

Keep your options open.. Just audition as many combos as possible and pick from the ones that u liked..

tuff Sir

Will audition as many as I can find available. Arcam seems to be out of my budget, but will still audition.

But the thing is auditions are for short periods and acoustics of audition room and my room will differ, also I don't think my ears will be able to grasp all the differences at this early stage.
Hence, seeking advise from all the experienced member to be able to know what to look out for.

Pls Suggest which brand/s of speakers will match with NAD/Yamaha/Marantz.

Elangos Sir

Will follow your advise and Audition both i.e Stereo amps and AVRs with suggeted speakers. Planned to be done with it in less than a week. But it seems will have to wait longer to audition and decide.

Please advise what technicalities etc to look out for while auditioning, other than personal taste.

DrKrack Sir,

My aim is to have seperate Systems for music and movies. And when i have multichannel system too - intend to integrate stereo system speakers in multichannel setup. Want to have best possible gear as per my affordability from time to time. Thatswhy starting from Stereo setup so that I can atleast have 1 satisfactory setup for now. Will keep on saving for multichannel setup as it would require atleast 3-4 times more money (personal view).

Read about Rethm speakers, appears to be very good. Will definately consider them in the next stage (when I'll have additional funds for such investment)

Query :-

1) Will a 50-70K AVR sound as good as a Stereo Amp of same amount for MUSIC ?
2) What will be approx SQ difference between NAD and Yamaha/Marantz Stereo amps?
3) Please suggest few combos for Stereo and movies seperately.

Will plan a visit to Kolkata for auditions in next few days.

I don't know about others, but I surely dislike anyone addressing me as "Sir", its a part of our colonial mindset, now 70 yrs post independence the earlier we stop the better it is.. We are all learning here by sharing each other's thoughts and experiences, so don't worry about adding adjectives.

The stereo amp is much better for stereo music over AVR in my honest opinion, if you are planning for separate setup for movies and music don't bother about buying AVR for music. Somehow the performance of basic stereo amp is hard to beat by AVR irrespective of the bells and whistles it incorporates. Your focus should be on getting a best possible speakers in your budget and good quality amplifier to match it.

The Marantz /Dali, Yamaha/wharfedale, Denon /Polk are well known combinations and I'd prefer Denon_Polk combo especially for movies. The Taga set with a denon Avr should be a good option for movies as well.

Nad, CA, Onkyo, Yamaha and Arcam all are relatively matured in the stereo amp offerings and other than Individual preference you hardly go drastically wrong with buying any of the above amps, the better SQ is a subjective assumption nothing much. So listen and decide, decide on speakers first and add the compatible amp to go with. Arcam and Naim would make a good integrated amplifiers but buying them reduces your budget allocation for speakers so take your call. Dedicated DAC is not a must, but if budget permits why not? Finally don't read too much into internet reviews and listen for yourself and decide.

DrKrack

For me its abt giving regard to like we all do to teacher/ guide etc, no colonial hangover here. But point taken, will refrain from it.

Arcam and Naim Amps will blow my budget. From all i have learnt from extensive reading of forums - Speakers are the only components which last longest and are most imp link in the chain, rest can be upgraded as and when budget allows. So focus is to get the best possible speakers first and an amp for now in my limited budget (1.2L).
1) Is the the right approach?

2) Will floorstanders like Dali Z5/7, wharfadle 230/240 etc would be suitable for my room 16x14 feet as compared to bookshelfs.

Asking cz BS speakers will require stands and and frequent movements in the room will be headache to keep them from tipping over, also the combined cost will bring it closer to floorstanding (+5-15k).

3) Which kind is best suited for listening at low vol with max details i.e BS vs FS.

DrKrack

So focus is to get the best possible speakers first and an amp for now in my limited budget (1.2L).
1) Is the the right approach?

2) Will floorstanders like Dali Z5/7, wharfadle 230/240 etc would be suitable for my room 16x14 feet as compared to bookshelfs.

Asking cz BS speakers will require stands and and frequent movements in the room will be headache to keep them from tipping over, also the combined cost will bring it closer to floorstanding (+5-15k).

3) Which kind is best suited for listening at low vol with max details i.e BS vs FS.

I believe you are already well sorted with your requirements. I will just try to add a few bits.

1. Yes get the best possible speakers you can afford.
2. Bookshelves with a nice sub will any day be better than a pair of floor standers.
3. Difficult to say, depends on other factors including your room. Again, I would go with a pair of bookshelves. If you are going for towers, see that they have sufficient Bass to help you skip the Sub altogether.

If you are going with a Sub, then get a Sub that has Speaker Level Inputs as well as outputs. An amp with Speaker Outs A and B should be preferred. These are only from the point of convenience while wiring up the system.

MaSh

I believe you are already well sorted with your requirements. I will just try to add a few bits.

2. Bookshelves with a nice sub will any day be better than a pair of floor standers.

3. Difficult to say, depends on other factors including your room. Again, I would go with a pair of bookshelves. If you are going for towers, see that they have sufficient Bass to help you skip the Sub altogether.

If you are going with a Sub, then get a Sub that has Speaker Level Inputs as well as outputs. An amp with Speaker Outs A and B should be preferred. These are only from the point of convenience while wiring up the system.

MaSh

Today heard B&W 683 s2 and 685 s2 on youtube, liked them more than Wharfadle Diamond and Dali Zensor. But it will take my entire budget just for B&W speakers :sad:

Anything in between Dali Zensor and B&W (price wise) ?

Which will be better among - BS+Sub vs FS+Sub ?

What factors? Please elaborate.

Does NAD 326 and 356 / Marantz Pm 6006, 7005 have preouts/ Speakers Outs A and B ?

* Is it safe to buy Audio equipments from ebay India @ will I get Official warranty from service centres if its mentioned on Ebay product page?

Last edited:

MaSh

Sorry i have to disagree with the sweeping statement "Bookshelves with a nice sub will any day be better than a pair of floor standers". You would have to add a sub too to the FS pair to compare them equally and from my personal exp, an FS easily beats hands down a bookshelf.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back