advice for 30-35k for an HT.... plzz am a noob

Banjara_ankur

For starters, as described earlier, am totally a noob when it comes to all this geeky stuff (considering, i really didnt knew the importance of AVRs till 2weeks back) (tho i considered myself better than amateurs when it comes to IT knowledge base)

Am living in kolkata, having bedroom dimensions of 14ft*14ft
with a budget of around 40k i hunted around if something good fits my budget
but,very little fits in (ofcourse BOSE definately not considered)

checkd with JBL showrom: they suggested
1) JBL cinesystem300 (40k) - includes 5.1 with HK avr 134
2) JBL SCS 140 BK with same avr for 30k

also went to sonodyne: nothing thr fits my budget except pqube and soundbar

having said that
i wanted a 5.1 system for my bedroom
music:movies = 65:35
inputs wud be one DTH, ps3, also macbook/ipod touch (if want to)

had almost selected JBL SCS 140bk package
but then reading your posts really want to go for Denon 1312/1612 (or pioneer-people say its nice, i realy dont have any idea)

is thr very significant difference between hk avr 134 and denon 1312/1612

also if i were to go for denon, can u also plz suggest me good speakers to with it

any help wud be really grateful

Regards

p.s. people talk here bout discounts, do showrooms of jbl/sonodyne etc really go for bargaining

You my friend are the perfect candidate for an Onkyo HTS 3500 for INR 25-27k
It has everything you need and more. Invest the extra 5-10k remaining into a blu-ray player like sony bdp 380 for INR 5990-6990.

i_main.jpg

It should be fairly easy to locate a dealer for onkyo in Calcutta.

For starters, as described earlier, am totally a noob when it comes to all this geeky stuff (considering, i really didnt knew the importance of AVRs till 2weeks back) (tho i considered myself better than amateurs when it comes to IT knowledge base)

Am living in kolkata, having bedroom dimensions of 14ft*14ft
with a budget of around 40k i hunted around if something good fits my budget
but,very little fits in (ofcourse BOSE definately not considered)

checkd with JBL showrom: they suggested
1) JBL cinesystem300 (40k) - includes 5.1 with HK avr 134
2) JBL SCS 140 BK with same avr for 30k

also went to sonodyne: nothing thr fits my budget except pqube and soundbar

having said that
i wanted a 5.1 system for my bedroom
music:movies = 65:35
inputs wud be one DTH, ps3, also macbook/ipod touch (if want to)

had almost selected JBL SCS 140bk package
but then reading your posts really want to go for Denon 1312/1612 (or pioneer-people say its nice, i realy dont have any idea)

is thr very significant difference between hk avr 134 and denon 1312/1612

also if i were to go for denon, can u also plz suggest me good speakers to with it

any help wud be really grateful

Regards

p.s. people talk here bout discounts, do showrooms of jbl/sonodyne etc really go for bargaining

Hi,

You seem to be a bit confused......Let me try to simplify things so that you might be able to make the best choice. Since you mention it, please do not think of BOSE being a top reference level audio system. You can get much better systems for the same price.

You say you have a pref of movies and music. Let me break that up separately. In you limited budget it might be hard to do equal justice to both but I am going to show you both and then you can take the decision.

OPTION 1
MUSIC : Integrated Stereo amp + bookshelf speakers
This is the ideal setup if you want to get into some serious music listening. The audio will be superior to similar priced HT systems listed below. You will also be able to listen to movies but only with 2 speakers, the surround speakers with the heavy bass from the subwoofer will be absent.

OPTION 2
Entry level AVR + 2 bookshelf speakers
This gives you an opportunity to pair 2 really good BS with an entry level HT AVR. You have the option of always adding more speakers later and eventually build a full 5.1 system with good quality speakers.

OPTION 3
Entry level AVR + 5.1 Satellite speaker system
This is you basic entry level 5.1 HT system. The speakers will be very basic to fit the budget, hence the audio will be good for the price but not as good as the above systems.

OPTION 4
HTIB : Onkyo HT-S3500
This is the BEST option available for people on a tight budget. It gives you the best value for money and is a great basic 5.1 system. I have listed this last as only if you are unable to go with the above, then you can consider this.

Depending on what option you select, there are various AVR's / Speakers available across all price ranges. Since you also have a preference for music, I would suggest a Marantz AVR.

Hope this clarifies and explains you all the available options you have. Of course if you want to go with the Onkyp HT-S3500, then that is the only option at that price. But if you are looking at other options, then you need to demo as many systems and then finally decide what sounds good to you.

JBL + HK AVRs : they tend to sound a bit on the brighter side more suitable for movies than music.

You are in the same boat as mine

Started with budget of 30k and after listening to some better setups (entry level avr and speakers), have increased budget to buy a really good system. Havent bought till date. People like aakashr, rsud helping me out in my purchase process

Few more packages that u can audition are
1. Yamaha 296 - 35k mrp
2. Denon 1312XP - 32k mrp
3. onkyo309/denon1312 + matching speakers

Dealers do give discount in the range of 10 to 20 pc on different packages

BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Hey Thanks corelement,
(pretty prompt response i must say, God...!!!!, am loving this forum/site every second)
okey... Onlyo - Ht S3500 looks pretty promising...
it now occupies a major part of my brain, would definately try to check it out

u bet A.Gupta, really am impressed that even india has such a well developed forum...
and yup people like akashr and others really help out

Mr. Aakashr, really thanks for laying out the cards straight at me, now i really know how to move about,
now have to decide between 2 available options
Ur Option 2: Decent AVR, plus 2/2.1 speaker system for gradual upgradation.. or
ur Option 4: Onkyo Ht S3500 , This really has caught my eye for now

And just a thought, if i were to play music wireleesly what are my options.Naturally the one avr of denon with this technology is way over my budget.So i am thinking,i can surely use ps3/xbox 360 as an alternative to that na, coupled with an inhome wireless router.. do have to put my router in the bedroom physically connected with the gaming console. or there is some walk through. (not imeediately necessary, can expend a few more in near future for this)

You my friend are the perfect candidate for an Onkyo HTS 3500 for INR 25-27k
It has everything you need and more. Invest the extra 5-10k remaining into a blu-ray player like sony bdp 380 for INR 5990-6990.

i_main.jpg

It should be fairly easy to locate a dealer for onkyo in Calcutta.

Hey thanks...
just checked out Onkyo HTS 3400 (the store manager said 3500 has not yet launched in India :sad:, really thought the front usb function wud be usefull, also he said that there's no confirmation either about when i should expect it)
but nevertheless, my amateur ears still kinda liked the overall effect of HTS 3400, verry nice, he quoted me 28K for it,should i really bargain on that

:eek:

u bet A.Gupta, really am impressed that even india has such a well developed forum...
and yup people like akashr and others really help out

Mr. Aakashr, really thanks for laying out the cards straight at me, now i really know how to move about,
now have to decide between 2 available options
Ur Option 2: Decent AVR, plus 2/2.1 speaker system for gradual upgradation.. or
ur Option 4: Onkyo Ht S3500 , This really has caught my eye for now

I have put option 4 last as this only makes sense if you are on a really tight budget. Option 4 is a good entry level system but nevertheless can't be compared with other options which will give you better sound.

If you go with Option 2..........that will eventually enable you to build s system more superior than the onkyo HT-S3500, so choose wisely. Also the HT-S3400 has now been replaced with the new 3500, so please check with your local dealer.

I have put option 4 last as this only makes sense if you are on a really tight budget. Option 4 is a good entry level system but nevertheless can't be compared with other options which will give you better sound.

If you go with Option 2..........that will eventually enable you to build s system more superior than the onkyo HT-S3500, so choose wisely. Also the HT-S3400 has now been replaced with the new 3500, so please check with your local dealer.

yup, am in regular contacts with the dealer, still no news on 3500.
as for the options, its for my big brothers room, and i seriously doubt he's gonna have that kinda patience to again change something in his system once it is in place. would be there for decades

but yup, such research sure gonna help me when it my turn, say 6months from now, wud start right away investing in gradual building up of :) Hts

Guys, is Onkyo S5500 good? And much better than S3500? I guess we get 2 more speakers, better front speakers and upconversion, apart from Audyssey 2EQ room acoustic correction system (which I don't know much about).

I'm getting both 3500 and 5500 at good rates in the US ($250 and $450 respectively). Which one should I buy?

thanks

hey thanks dude, fixed onkyo 3400 @27.5k (he said 3500 is still months away, atleast here in kolkata) taking delivery today.... fingers crossed :)

hey thanks dude, fixed onkyo 3400 @27.5k (he said 3500 is still months away, atleast here in kolkata) taking delivery today.... fingers crossed :)

Onkyo HT-S3500 is available in the market, many forum members have already bought it. Please check with the dealer or call ONKYO for more support. You can get the 3500 for the same price.................why settle for 3400 which is an older model and now discontinued.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back