Advice needed: Norge2060, should I have it repaired from local repair shop?

Lucky_Luke

This may sound like a silly question, should i have my Norge 2060 amplifier repaired by the local electronics repairman? The amplifier has developed a minor fault, when I turn the volume knob high or low, the left speaker crackles. At times either of the speaker goes silent. The friendly folks at Eastern Electronics have asked me to carry in the amp to their office to have it repaired.

My problem is that I live quite far and will have to lug the heavy amp in the train myself or seek favours from friends to drive me with the amp to EE's office.

It would be more convenient for me to take the amp to the local electronics repair shop. but would it be wise to do that? I hope that the local repair man is able to properly tackle the seemingly minor fault. Its an Indian made amp and all parts would've been procured locally. The local repair shop would be using similar parts if not the same, I assume.

Or would it be better to put in the extra effort to take the amp all the way and have EE's technicians look into the problem? would it make any difference?

I too have the same probs with my marantz pm 30 , that some kind as I can hear some hum at times from the speakers and turning the knobs to either sides solves the thing, but it annoying. I believe it needs some cleaning, but replacement of the knob would be impossible in my case as I don't think I would get a spare of it. Is it safe to let a normal electronics person to work with it?

This may sound like a silly question, should i have my Norge 2060 amplifier repaired by the local electronics repairman? The amplifier has developed a minor fault, when I turn the volume knob high or low, the left speaker crackles. At times either of the speaker goes silent. The friendly folks at Eastern Electronics have asked me to carry in the amp to their office to have it repaired.

My problem is that I live quite far and will have to lug the heavy amp in the train myself or seek favours from friends to drive me with the amp to EE's office.

?

Will the distance really matters for me when i think of the following:
1. Getting amp repaired from the manufacturer itself rather than a local repairman stranger?
2. A peace of mind, that i will have once i get it done through EE, rather than crib later if something goes fault.
3. If any other issues occur after the current issue is resolved?
4. The repute that Mr. Bajaj has that brings confidence in me.
5. Will the EE not be more happy to serve its customer, rather than take it to local repairman?
6. Its our priced possession (after all our hard earned money) and it's our utmost care to take it to the manufacturer to get it done repaired.

Ok now this scenario occurs.
If i stay away from the town of EE then I had to then think of the option of local workshop which would be my first priority.

Choice is always yours!

Well if you have a good repairman/technician that you trust closeby to your residence, take it to him & get it repaired. For all you know it might be a small issue that will be resolved within a short time & costwise. Yes, nothing complex about the Norge amp & parts so you should not have any headache wrt cost in relation to them.

If you do not have any known repairman/technician, then there could be a chance of getting taken for a ride & end up spending more than what EE would have charged.

Based on above, make your decision.

Best Wishes
:)

After months of dilly-dallying I finally decided to take the amp to Eastern Electronics with the help of a few friends. The fault was minor but it was good experience. Mr. Lakshman at EE was very cordial and explained to me how their testing equipment works. I also got to listen to a turntable demo and was very impressed by the quality of music. Mr. Lakshman treated us to demos of different kinds of music and was very obliging. I'm glad that I decided to go all the way to EE to have the fault repaired. The repairs could've been done locally too but I wouldn't have received the warm welcome by Mr. Lakshman and his invitation to sample his music collection :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back