Advice needed to setup HT

Hi All,

After brainstorming a lot for AVR its time now I am supposed to move for speakers.
I had auditioned Polk/PSB/MA/KEF/Klipsch/Wharfedale and below are my personal reviews:

POLK RTi A7/CSX4/FX4/DDWPRO660i + Denon: Nice speaker sets but sounded bit on brighter side to me. Everything was fine though except bass which sounded bummy to me.

POLK RTi A9/CSX6/FX6/DDWPRO660i + Denon: Much better than A7. Still I consider it bit bright compared to other sounds from other brands. If budget permits, surely this set is in my list.

PSB Image T5/C5/S5/SUB200 + NAD: Best of class around what I had heard. Crisp, crystal & clear. All ranges are clear and sweet to ears. Though bit costly as per this segment is considered. I need to listen them in another session to make sure that they doesn't fatigue ears. These sets are good for music as well as HT. They come on my list.

KEF Q700/200/800Ds/400b + Denon: Musical speakers for peoples who consider music as their first choice over HT. Much warmer and crisp and clear ranges. Some people might not find them great as they are warmer in sound and we guys are not used to listen much warmer sound for long duration (this is my perceptions) Though these sets need to be paired with subs as they lack bass punch. I might recommend them for serious music listening. I didn't got chance to audit Q900 or else would be able to describe this set much better with their performance. Though they come on my list I need to listen them once again to understand whether they suit my needs

MA RX6/RX C/BX/SV12NSD & GX50 + Denon/Pioneer: Good speakers that can be considered for HT as well as music. GX50 comes with ribbon tweeter which makes you feel difference for highs. As this set was paired with SVS subs, most of my concentration was drawn towards the punch of subs during demo of HT. I was sold for these subs. In fact during audition I was just thinking about sub effect:rolleyes: Anyways both of these speaker series are serious contenders and can be compared with PSB and KEF for serious music. Currently they are out of my list as they are bit costlier not fitting my budget.

Wharfedale and Klipsch+Denon/Marantz: I won't be able to describe them much better as I was not able to hear them for more than 7-9 mins. They were just not sounding right at given moment. So currently not considering them but might try to hear them again in case they change my reviews.

As per now A9/PSB5 & KEFQ700 drops on my list. All these speakers are excellent and I like them. Problem is that I am not able to concentrate on any one of them. They are very different from each other and do best in their series/category. Can owners of these brands help me in understanding their +points. Actually I had auditioned these speaker sets for half an hour or so, so currently I am confused how these speakers might actually be to my ears when I would try to listen them for long hours?

TIA

Regards
Bhavin

For a HT <=150Sqft, you don't need big towers.... Only if you want to strike a balance between stereo & movie go for the FS... Else BS/satellites can do a wonderful job with a good sub for movies... Don't just get carried away with the imposing looks :)

British speakers sound best when partnered with british amps..... (Wharfedale, mission, tannoy, MA with Arcam, Cambrdige audio)....

Strange that you didn't like Wharfedale.... It is the favourite of many & the forum too... May be something to do with partnering amplifier...

Consider Sonodyne Avant series 150 BS, LCR250... For HT purpose they can do a brilliant job...& they will not cost a bomb :eek:hyeah:

Yes I guess you are right that I got bit carried away with specs mentioned on sites and review. Though I just wanted to get best pairs which I can consider as future proof as I don't want to do any investment in A/V for coming 5-6 years.

Also I think that once I have good pair my taste might change and I might get start listening music on daily basis or whenever I get free. Hence I look out for pairs which are good with music as well as movies.

I needed to understand from owners of brands like KEF/PSB/POLK to understand how sweet and soft sound these speakers sets can produce.

I hope guys out there to help me out. My budget max for speakers cant be exceeded 1.8L

Thanks

Yes I guess you are right that I got bit carried away with specs mentioned on sites and review. Though I just wanted to get best pairs which I can consider as future proof as I don't want to do any investment in A/V for coming 5-6 years.

Also I think that once I have good pair my taste might change and I might get start listening music on daily basis or whenever I get free. Hence I look out for pairs which are good with music as well as movies.

I needed to understand from owners of brands like KEF/PSB/POLK to understand how sweet and soft sound these speakers sets can produce.

I hope guys out there to help me out. My budget max for speakers cant be exceeded 1.8L

Thanks

Great.. So you can look @ BS speakers... (or) FS

how sweet & soft sound depends on how you match your speaker with amplifier...

Speakers with silk dome tweeters (Read Majority of them) are generally on the warmer side & tend to be fractionally/occasionally bright....

Speakers with metal tweeters need careful matching with amplifiers... If they are not matched correctly, it might start sounding very harsh...

So what opinion is about PSB Image series. I think it has titanium tweeters. It was paired with NAD so I think it was sweet to my ears. If same speakers are paired with denon or marantz they might show me totally different sound details.

Boss seriously I am choked with choice here. I am un-neccesarily increasing my budget after speakers. I think I will drop down on PolkA9/KEFQ700 or PSB Image T5 and close the deal.

Can someone help me to understand where I can get demo for BENQ or Epson projectors in Delhi-NCR. Need to finalize them as well.

Just want to pick right kind of speakers. Regarding AVR....hmmm I might get them imported from US as I am gettingg good deals there :)

So what opinion is about PSB Image series. I think it has titanium tweeters. It was paired with NAD so I think it was sweet to my ears. If same speakers are paired with denon or marantz they might show me totally different sound details.

Boss seriously I am choked with choice here. I am un-neccesarily increasing my budget after speakers. I think I will drop down on PolkA9/KEFQ700 or PSB Image T5 and close the deal.

Can someone help me to understand where I can get demo for BENQ or Epson projectors in Delhi-NCR. Need to finalize them as well.

Just want to pick right kind of speakers. Regarding AVR....hmmm I might get them imported from US as I am gettingg good deals there :)

Titanium is also a metal tweeter... If you liked the combo & if it is sweet sounding, go for it.... BTW there is general opinion that NAD + PSB is a very good combo Juz like Wharfedale + Marantz...

Could you let us know which AVR you have shortlisted (if any...)

Hmmmm I had came down to Denon 3313CI or will switch to X4000. In case of Marantz I will opt for 5007 or 6007. But in my mind I prefer to go with 3313 as it has all the required features...

I had deleted Onkyo from my list as I had heard lots of issues with its HDMI board and other circuitary in different forums.

Advice from you guys would be great help.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back