Advice on entry level system via PC source

NoVoices

dear Members,
First of all, thank you for those who have started this forum. It would be /is quite a nightmare to decide which product(s) to go for in this market and conditions.

I'm on a look out for entry level audio system for around 50k.

I live around Central India region so my shopping choices could be /are very limited, not brands but seller, an authorized retailer.

Source : onboard Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24bit 7.1-channel audio chip,
The selection of ports for the onboard audio consists of five 3.5mm audio jacks and one has to be reconfigured from line in to the second set of surrounds for 7.1-channel functionality. There is also an optical S/PDIF output and a separate coaxial S/PDIF output.

Creative sound Blaster Live 24-bit onboard audio
- 24-bit / 96KHz audio quality
- 100db SNR clarity
- Up to 7.1 CH Surround Sound, Dolby Digital ready

Some suggested by the retailer,
Marantz SR 4002 42000/- w/ 3 yr's warranty

USE:
Music 50%
Games 30%
Movies 20%

Speakers not decided. I think a 2.1 should be better than 5.1 in this budget?
Pls suggest

Hi NoVoices. Welcome to the forum. How much are you planning to spend on the entire venture and more importantly which city are you from?

With the limited information given, I'd suggest pick up a good stereo amp and a pair of floorstands, shoud find good ones in your budget, check out the 2nds route also.

You may gradually add the rest of the components and an AVR with Pre-Outs for a full HT setup.

@ reignofchaos,
The maximum budget is 50,000 INR. I can purchase from Nagpur's retailer.

@unleash_me
Amp or Receiver? The retailer told me that a receiver would be a better, kinda future proof buy.?

im a N00b in this subject if threre are any links, i'be thankful ;-)

If I were you I'd have picked up the HiFi amp. But in your case, its a mixed bag of priorities. For you movies and games are as important as music. In which case, go with the Marantz, they are really musical and fits the bill easily.

I would check out the Denon 1909 as well, heard a lot about it, yet to have a demo; looks like it is well equipped to dethrone the reigning Onkyo.

Denon AVR-1909 review - whathifi.com

Take your time and get as many auditions as possible-preferably at your home- before reaching for the wallet.

Best Regards.

dear Members,
First of all, thank you for those who have started this forum. It would be /is quite a nightmare to decide which product(s) to go for in this market and conditions.

USE:
Music 50%
Games 30%
Movies 20%

A question before I suggest something. What is the display you are using or going to use? Since you are looking at spending 30% of your time on games, it may make sense to make your PC with a large (say 22inch) monitor as the central unit. You can also look at using a powered sub/sat system with inputs from the PC to give you surround sound around your PC to listen to music and watch movies.

This will a purely personal affair and your family members may not be able to enjoy the system with you. Music and games are generally personal affairs, while movies are not. But you have given only 20% to movies.

There are some excellent sub/sat systems available from companies such as Boston, Anthony Gallo, Logitech, Creative, JBL, and India's own Lithos Acoustic. This will save you money on the amp, allowing you to go in for a full fledged HT system at a later date.

If you are not much interested in 5.1, even the AudioEngine 2 will do. These are excellent speakers.

Hi Venkat
Please dont mind, just a small correction.
I think Lithos does not make any active sub/sat system. So in case of Lithos an amp purchase will be neceassry.

Hi Venkat
Please dont mind, just a small correction.
I think Lithos does not make any active sub/sat system. So in case of Lithos an amp purchase will be neceassry.

You are right. NoVoices, please leave out Lithos Acoustic. Thanks Rikhav.

Cheers

I think i will be going for the 4002s.
how is the price of 42000/- for it?

For speakers, some,..,
PolkAudio R15,

subs not yet gone over

That is ridiculously overpriced. SR4002 should not cost more than 30 odd with warranty. The marantz and HK AVRs are probably the most musical of the lot out there. I'd prefer these two to any of the other brands. Try and look for some other dealers or maybe contact a dealer in bombay who's willing to ship it to you.

What is the display you are using or going to use?

i use a 24'

family members may not be able to enjoy the system with you.

For some period it will be personal, after that it will be shipped to the room with the TV

There are some excellent sub/sat systems available from companies such as..this will save you money on the amp, allowing you to go in for a full fledged HT system at a later date.

Could you mention some models?

If you are not much interested in 5.1, even the AudioEngine 2 will do. These are excellent speakers.

I am interested in 5.1 but I thought "better get a high end 2.1 than a entry level 5.1" ?

@reignofchaos,
I think I'll have to have a "chat" with him. I do have contacts in Bombay, but a close by shop would come in handy,..?

Last edited:
how are the KEF IQ3?

KEF is a good brand. Their sub/sat (KHT) systems were ruling the market for a long time.

The IQ3 was chosen as the European Speaker of the year for the years 2005-2006 by EISA. This is not a easy task. I think KEF have been working on their Q series and improving it every year.

Here is what EISA has to say about the IQ3

KEFs Uni-Q concentric drive-units continue to evolve in the new iQ Series. And the iQ3 model ideal for bookshelf or stand mounting is an excellent first buy for price-conscious customers in search of high-quality listening. The new magnetically-shielded 160mm driver features a die-cast basket, which with help from a front-firing bass-reflex port and carefully profiled cabinet, allows the iQ3 to deliver weight, detail and dynamics. This KEF enclosure shows you don't need a big box or a big budget to enjoy real musical pleasure.

UNQUOTE.

Personally I have heard the KEF many times, and they consistently sound good. If you have auditioned the IQ3 and like the sound, go for it.

Cheers

Marantz SR4002 and KEF iQ3.

Should the whole affair cost around 60 large?

I see that the Marantz is quoted at US$550 and the KEFs at US$350. At a conversion rate of 1 USD = 60 INR, this works out to 54,000Rs. If you like the items, and are ready to buy, bargain hard with the dealer and get the best prices you can. I would say anything between 50 to 55K should be OK.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back