Advice on setting up new stereo system for Music only

ajey

Hello Friends,
I am another of those newbies trying their hand (ear) at hi-fi systems for the first time.
I am looking to set up a 2 speaker (wall mounted bookshelfs prefered) hi-fi system with an amp for my bedroom. The music I prefer to listen to is soft gazals, semi-classical, hindustani type. My budget is ~ 15K INR.
I am planning to use a simple CD/mp3 player to hook up with it. I am also hoping that I can connect my ipod to this using audio out -> RCA type cable. (I am not sure if this even makes any sense)
I have read through many posts in the forum here. I am aware that I will not be able to get a very high end system in this budget, but it is ok, for now.
My current reading suggests to me choices like norge, audiograph (?), sonodyne.
Does any of you know if I can listen to these systems here in Pune?
Are there any other players in this price range that I am missing out on?
I read about pre-owned equipment being a good option. Where can I find those interested in selling, apart from the classifieds in this forum?
Any other guidance, pitfalls I should avoid, or any other suggestions are all welcome.

thanks all in advance for your inputs.

Hello Friends,
I am another of those newbies trying their hand (ear) at hi-fi systems for the first time.
I am looking to set up a 2 speaker (wall mounted bookshelfs prefered) hi-fi system with an amp for my bedroom. The music I prefer to listen to is soft gazals, semi-classical, hindustani type. My budget is ~ 15K INR.
I am planning to use a simple CD/mp3 player to hook up with it. I am also hoping that I can connect my ipod to this using audio out -> RCA type cable. (I am not sure if this even makes any sense)
I have read through many posts in the forum here. I am aware that I will not be able to get a very high end system in this budget, but it is ok, for now.
My current reading suggests to me choices like norge, audiograph (?), sonodyne.
Does any of you know if I can listen to these systems here in Pune?
Are there any other players in this price range that I am missing out on?
I read about pre-owned equipment being a good option. Where can I find those interested in selling, apart from the classifieds in this forum?
Any other guidance, pitfalls I should avoid, or any other suggestions are all welcome.

thanks all in advance for your inputs.

Hi,

For the budget mentioned, you can get a decent system from Craftel (Company: Audiocraft). Please contact Mark (Mobile: 9841023957) for product ranges and the possibility of shipping to Pune.

I am using 100Wx2 RMS amplifier (Model: STA662) and floorstanders (12" woofers) for the price of Rs. 14K one year back. So far the system is going well. You can also view the pictures of the setup in the post "Showcase your audio/video setup".

Check out NORGE.... Good Value

Also, IMHO, each of us, appreciates different attributes when listning to reproduced sound. What may Rock someone's boat, maynot even float yr raft...

Hence please LISTEN to the equipment before buying..

Just my 2 cents

Hi,
Norge is an option. For pre owned gear this forum is a great place to start. Scan the classifieds. There is a guy Ramesh in bangalore.(09844404269) Check if he has a Nad integrated for sale. Pair with a book shelf (now quite a few available for under 10K) and u are set. IMO better sound, and a taste of HIFI on a budget.
Regards

thanks, dinyaar, IndiaEars and neo.
I checked out onkyo on its web site. looks interesting. but there is no price info.
For audiocraft, I am not sure if I will be able to get a listen to that system here in Pune.
I will check with Ramesh in bangalore.
I will try to go to mumbai sometime over next month to check out norge.

If you are from Pune then visit Oceanic Sound and Vision. They have a nice looking, well made , very compact floor stander (very slim , slick, low height) pair on diaplay. Brand I forgot , as it is very new brand , starts with 'Y' ... cost I belive around Rs 10K, beautiful sounding, quite fit for a small room. DO check this pair before finalizing on anything else. I saw it yesterday, give them my reference - SUhas Gokhale .

For amp, I would suggest wait till you find a pre owned NAD, CA etc rather rather than buying any medicore brand . If at all you are in a hurry go for Norge , Pulz, Sonodyne etc. Oceanic will help you getting a Pulz.

Hope this helps.

Buy used stuff or stuff on sale. I paid under 5 grand for my Jamo E700 bookshelves and just under 10 grand for a used Musical Fidelity A1 integrated amp for my secondary system. Neither can be beaten by anything even three-four times its price.

Thanks Suhas and reignofchaos!. As per your adivce, I will try to find something on sale or pre-owned. I am in no hurry as such.
I will also check out oceanic sound and vision. I think I should put norge on hold for the time being.
If you come to know of something on sale, the kind I am looking for, please pass the info to me.

thanks a lot

As neo mentioned elsewhere, do check out the CS-515 from Onkyo. With out speakers it should be well with in 15k; especially since their latest models are out recently.

You can substitute the stock speakers with a pair of Diamond 9.1, Fusion F1 or Bronze BR2 depending up on how much you can spend.

All the best.

Also try the klipsch,i recently auditioned a 2.1 model for a friend(forgot the model name)
It was priced at 10.5 k,and it sounded good for the music.

Vj

As neo mentioned elsewhere, do check out the CS-515 from Onkyo. With out speakers it should be well with in 15k; especially since their latest models are out recently.

Do they sell without speakers? I doubt.
Onkyo 317 is selling for about 18K, while the discontinued model 315 was last priced at 13K.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back