Advice on Vinyl shop in Chennai

I am a relative newbie to vinyl playback and i am throughly enjoying it.
The whole essence of listening to an album in its entirety, in the order the artist intended & the warm natural voices, is a revelation for me.
The sound quality from my modest TT, bests my high-end digital setup easily.

And for a welcome change, the "upgraditis" has been changed to one of buying LPs every month now :D

I've been buying LPs from the US & Singapore, trying to build up a small collection. I am happy with the shops & the high quality mastered English LPs i've found there.
I would love to add Tamil & hindi LPs, for which i turned to amazon & flipkart. Turns out that they only stock Hindi language LPs & not a large collection at that.

I am seeking guidance from FMs - shops/places or sites where i can buy LPs in Chennai, particularly new Tamil LPs like A.R. Rahman.

Dear Mods - Ive searched the forum before posting this thread, and only found 1 other thread from 2009 and no usable info.
You can contact Mr Ravi who has a music shop inside the Poppat Jamal Shop on Mount Road, next to Police Station and Opposite Spencer's Mall. He deals in used LP's, some of them are in mint condition

Athulan

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710I using Tapatalk

found a shop in Adyar junction (basement of standard chartered bank). I picked a few LPs there - hindi and tamil. Although they were dusty not in mint condition - after cleaning they are average. nevertheless work the buy

Quick review on some place I went to on my trip last week to Chennai.

1) Mohan Music in Ritchie Street

Decent collection. Well kept. Mr Sasikumar mentioned that the collection is alway on rotation meaning new titles do come in. Film LPs range from 150 - 500. And some VG ones up to 1000. Picked up a Kannadasan Kathal LP for 500INR.

2) Rythm Music.

Upon the suggestion of Mr Mahesh, I visited the godown and not the shop in Moore Market. I had pre sent list which he sent pictures that he put aside. Went to the godown and my chosen ones were not there... His uncle Ramlu was there and said there was a customer the night before who messed the place up so couldn't find it. nevermind. I went through what he had. of the 20-30 I picked out. 90% were in bad condition. Full of scratches. Asked for the price and he quoted 600 - 1000 INR. For those conditions I'd only pay 100 to 150 - "Moore market dirty vertical piled standard". Picked out only 2 records - Kadalora Kavithaigal and another random one cant recall the name now. both for 1200INR.

I said these aren't worth that much and he said the demand has gone up. I think it's catered to people who like pops and crackles an skips "vintage".

I've paid up to 6000 INR for some pristine ones like Karthik's Amaran, and Nayagan in So I'm not looking for a bargain

He later took my list down and said he'll come by the evening with the selection. Never did. Didn't reply to my messages too.

Definitely worth a visit but the prices are not desirable and the service even less.

#rant

Quick review on some place I went to on my trip last week to Chennai.

1) Mohan Music in Ritchie Street

Decent collection. Well kept. Mr Sasikumar mentioned that the collection is alway on rotation meaning new titles do come in. Film LPs range from 150 - 500. And some VG ones up to 1000. Picked up a Kannadasan Kathal LP for 500INR.

2) Rythm Music.

Upon the suggestion of Mr Mahesh, I visited the godown and not the shop in Moore Market. I had pre sent list which he sent pictures that he put aside. Went to the godown and my chosen ones were not there... His uncle Ramlu was there and said there was a customer the night before who messed the place up so couldn't find it. nevermind. I went through what he had. of the 20-30 I picked out. 90% were in bad condition. Full of scratches. Asked for the price and he quoted 600 - 1000 INR. For those conditions I'd only pay 100 to 150 - "Moore market dirty vertical piled standard". Picked out only 2 records - Kadalora Kavithaigal and another random one cant recall the name now. both for 1200INR.

I said these aren't worth that much and he said the demand has gone up. I think it's catered to people who like pops and crackles an skips "vintage".

I've paid up to 6000 INR for some pristine ones like Karthik's Amaran, and Nayagan in So I'm not looking for a bargain

He later took my list down and said he'll come by the evening with the selection. Never did. Didn't reply to my messages too.

Definitely worth a visit but the prices are not desirable and the service even less.

#rant

Did you tell him that you are coming from Singapore or staying in Singapore. may be the reason for that quote. Else, he normally starts with 250 to 300 rs for a new customer. If you ask for any specific title which he doesn't have, he would say that " yesterday only one customer from Malaysia/Singapore/US took it" . :D.

And Mohan Music, a typical Richie street Trader. He was quoting 750 to 1000 per LP and gave it for 500 when I showed no interest and left the LPs back in the shelf.

Did you tell him that you are coming from Singapore or staying in Singapore. may be the reason for that quote. Else, he normally starts with 250 to 300 rs for a new customer. If you ask for any specific title which he doesn't have, he would say that " yesterday only one customer from Malaysia/Singapore/US took it" . :D.

And Mohan Music, a typical Richie street Trader. He was quoting 750 to 1000 per LP and gave it for 500 when I showed no interest and left the LPs back in the shelf.

Yeah I did. HAHA Tourist price...

There was one Chennai FM( @surendar ), I think who had put up his entire system and audio collection on sale in the forum last year. Not sure, if the collection is still around.

There was one Chennai FM( @surendar ), I think who had put up his entire system and audio collection on sale in the forum last year. Not sure, if the collection is still around.

I do not have any Tamil 12" LP records for sale now. All are sold out. But I have a collection of around 900 Tamil 7" records mostly in near mint condition, which I am looking to sell as a single lot. If any one interested can inbox me. Thanks.

Hi,

Mr. Mathew (aka Babu) from Pammal owns Audio Antique shop. I visit his shop quite often and have seen a decent collection of Tamil LPs but mostly Illayaraja's work. I will share his contact details. Worth checking with him.
Hi,
I would like to visit his shop too. Please pm his contact information

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back