Advice regarding a STEREO only System

gurujee

Hi to All

For quite some time, I am saving for a separate stereo only system for music. Budget is around 70k.

I want to taste the sound of Marantz which I have not yet. I am unable to audition here (at Odisha). I have some confusion and seeking your advice.

I primarily listen to Jazz, Country, Folk, Western Classical, New Age. I am more into smooth laid back sound with weighty midrange, open but not bright vocals and clarity in instrument separation.

Source almost always will be streaming from iphone (Apple Music, Spotify, RadioTunes). I am looking not to have a subwoofer. I have 3 configuration in mind.

1. Marantz PM5005 Amp + Yamaha WXC 50 (as dac and streamer) + Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 = Around 80k
2. Marantz PM6007 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 = Around 75k (Will use SA Bluetooth streamer for now and add an airplay capable streamer later)
3. Marantz NR1200 Amp + Pioneer FS52 Tower & Wharfedale D10 Sub (already have) = Around 60k

Confusion is - Obviously I want to get improvement over the 5.1 HT Setup (in music). But also thinking from some time to declutter my room and just have a 2.1 system for both music and movies but still not want to sacrifice on sound quality. As far as the quality of sound is concerned, how much difference is there between NR1200 and PM6007. I have seen NR1200 with 75 watts can drive tower speakers easily. But will I get a significant better quality sound from Wharfedales 11.2s? Is QAcoustic 3030i a better match with the Marantz?

Budget is constraint, I know. I just want to know what will be a better investment. Thanks in advance.

Hi to All

For quite some time, I am saving for a separate stereo only system for music. Budget is around 70k.

I want to taste the sound of Marantz which I have not yet. I am unable to audition here (at Odisha). I have some confusion and seeking your advice.

I primarily listen to Jazz, Country, Folk, Western Classical, New Age. I am more into smooth laid back sound with weighty midrange, open but not bright vocals and clarity in instrument separation.

Source almost always will be streaming from iphone (Apple Music, Spotify, RadioTunes). I am looking not to have a subwoofer. I have 3 configuration in mind.

1. Marantz PM5005 Amp + Yamaha WXC 50 (as dac and streamer) + Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 = Around 80k
2. Marantz PM6007 Amp + Wharfedale Diamond 11.2 = Around 75k (Will use SA Bluetooth streamer for now and add an airplay capable streamer later)
3. Marantz NR1200 Amp + Pioneer FS52 Tower & Wharfedale D10 Sub (already have) = Around 60k

Confusion is - Obviously I want to get improvement over the 5.1 HT Setup (in music). But also thinking from some time to declutter my room and just have a 2.1 system for both music and movies but still not want to sacrifice on sound quality. As far as the quality of sound is concerned, how much difference is there between NR1200 and PM6007. I have seen NR1200 with 75 watts can drive tower speakers easily. But will I get a significant better quality sound from Wharfedales 11.2s? Is QAcoustic 3030i a better match with the Marantz?

Budget is constraint, I know. I just want to know what will be a better investment. Thanks in advance.
What's your current Amp?

from yur
Hi to All

If these are your final 3 choices then 1 seems like the best of them ..but if you can instead of the Wharfedale diamond get the Fyne Audio F301, their speakers are really good and worth the extra 5-6K . the source is very important and with 2 your sound may be better but since the source is compromised, you may hear it as worse.

I would assume the wharfedale and Q acoustic would be similar but have not heard either so cannot comment but both will go well with most amps !

The PM6007 is an int amp only while the NR1200 is a receiver hence I would expect the former to sound better while the latter is more feature rich.

from yur

If these are your final 3 choices then 1 seems like the best of them ..but if you can instead of the Wharfedale diamond get the Fyne Audio F301, their speakers are really good and worth the extra 5-6K . the source is very important and with 2 your sound may be better but since the source is compromised, you may hear it as worse.

I would assume the wharfedale and Q acoustic would be similar but have not heard either so cannot comment but both will go well with most amps !

The PM6007 is an int amp only while the NR1200 is a receiver hence I would expect the former to sound better while the latter is more feature rich.
Not final but kind of wanting to witness the famous marantz sound. I think source will practically always be streaming. Will jump to Qobuz hq etc once they are officially available here. I think I should minus the option 3 then as currently looking for best sound over features.

Hello, I have the Topping dac and amplifier combo for a second bedroom system. Its around 25K and is very good value and well built. In a nutshell, may I suggest you spend money on the speaker, i.e 50k speaker and 25 k amp and dac. Look for a simple two way speaker with 89 db sensitivity or higher. The Topping is pretty decent amp, and not just for class D. The DAC is good enough for me to use it with my entry level Stax headphone and amp combo, although not ideal. Both the Toppings are available at Headphone zone.

Qacoustics Concept 20 with a suitable Integrated either the Denon 800NE or the Marantz PM7000, it will put a smile to your face moving from an AVR setup, I've been there. Stick with Integrated rather than stereo receivers. The more features they add at this price point is a compromise at something. I would pick an Integrated with only Analog inputs without a DAC as they are built for that specific purpose, but our needs of today without a DAC is difficult and all external DACs are expensive. Focus more on the loudspeaker.

Marantz 600X series is really good for the money. If you go for WXC 50, then go for PM5005 as DAC is taken care of. WXC 50 is really versatile. It's in the market for so long because it is so useful and good. But don't go for its integrated amplifier version, I've heard that, not good.

But I have an advice from experience. Don't combine Marantz and Wharfedale. I have and don't like it. By themselves, both are good but not as a combo. Both are laid-back and with treble roll off. Will have lots of midrange fun, good, though a bit flabby bass, but poor top end. Although the combo is praised in the internet reviews, I feel it's one of those legends people subscribe to without personal experience.

For my 2nd room I have QA 3020i LCR. Goes much better than WA. Tried with PM6005/ PM8006/ NR1609. All sound better than the WA.

There are lots of choices at that point. QA/ Elac/Dali/Mission etc.

Hello, I have the Topping dac and amplifier combo for a second bedroom system. Its around 25K and is very good value and well built. In a nutshell, may I suggest you spend money on the speaker, i.e 50k speaker and 25 k amp and dac. Look for a simple two way speaker with 89 db sensitivity or higher. The Topping is pretty decent amp, and not just for class D. The DAC is good enough for me to use it with my entry level Stax headphone and amp combo, although not ideal. Both the Toppings are available at Headphone zone.
That’s really a good suggestion. I will check the topping offerings. Thank you

Qacoustics Concept 20 with a suitable Integrated either the Denon 800NE or the Marantz PM7000, it will put a smile to your face moving from an AVR setup, I've been there. Stick with Integrated rather than stereo receivers. The more features they add at this price point is a compromise at something. I would pick an Integrated with only Analog inputs without a DAC as they are built for that specific purpose, but our needs of today without a DAC is difficult and all external DACs are expensive. Focus more on the loudspeaker.
That will exceed my budget by almost double. But I want to trust your experience and I have heard concept 20s in many YouTube demos, they have a clean midrange which I like very much. Do you think the low frequency they offer is apt and won’t need a subwoofer?

Marantz 600X series is really good for the money. If you go for WXC 50, then go for PM5005 as DAC is taken care of. WXC 50 is really versatile. It's in the market for so long because it is so useful and good. But don't go for its integrated amplifier version, I've heard that, not good.

But I have an advice from experience. Don't combine Marantz and Wharfedale. I have and don't like it. By themselves, both are good but not as a combo. Both are laid-back and with treble roll off. Will have lots of midrange fun, good, though a bit flabby bass, but poor top end. Although the combo is praised in the internet reviews, I feel it's one of those legends people subscribe to without personal experience.

For my 2nd room I have QA 3020i LCR. Goes much better than WA. Tried with PM6005/ PM8006/ NR1609. All sound better than the WA.

There are lots of choices at that point. QA/ Elac/Dali/Mission etc.
Thank you so much for the elaborated inputs. Really helpful. I also had seen in some other forums that marantz and wharfedale don’t go well together that’s why I have asked about the Qacoustics. Do you think is it better to go for amp and dac as separates like pm5005 with wxc50. Will pm6007 be significantly better as an amp.
If given choice, what would you choose between Elac debut 6.2 and QAcoustic 3030i?

Thank you so much for the elaborated inputs. Really helpful. I also had seen in some other forums that marantz and wharfedale don’t go well together that’s why I have asked about the Qacoustics. Do you think is it better to go for amp and dac as separates like pm5005 with wxc50. Will pm6007 be significantly better as an amp.
If given choice, what would you choose between Elac debut 6.2 and QAcoustic 3030i?
On paper there is a difference between the power of 5005 and 6007, but in real life that amounts to nothing. Both would have similar signatures. I have not heard 5005, but comparing 6005 to 8006, my take is that higher models are more linear and neutral whereas lower models tend to have V shaped presentation and more 'fun', if you may. I doubt you will have noticeable difference between 5005 and 6007.
The main addition of 6007 is the ESS Sabre DAC and all its connectivity options. Now IIRC, WXC 50 also uses the same DAC, has loads of physical connectivity. Plus offers you the advantage of streaming and Bluetooth. The cost of 5005 and WXC 50 is roughly equal to 6007.
Also I am a fan of keeping the digital and analog components separate.

I haven't heard the Elac so can't comment, but also try Dali Spektor in that price range. I've never seen someone unhappy with Dali.

That will exceed my budget by almost double. But I want to trust your experience and I have heard concept 20s in many YouTube demos, they have a clean midrange which I like very much. Do you think the low frequency they offer is apt and won’t need a subwoofer?
Adding a sub, brings in lot of dynamics, making music or movies more pleasant.
My father in law has the Qacoustics Concept 20 with a HK stereo receiver, I personally liked the Yamaha network Receivers though. We went in with the same budget couple of years back and he's really happy listening to them almost everyday. The bass is definitely better than most in that price category. I've never got to own a pair, but since the first time I've auditioned speakers from that brand, they really impress me and I feel are real VFM.

I moved from a PM 6006 to a Denon DRA-800H as I specifically wanted an all in one unit with HDMI and streaming . Marantz NR1200 was my first choice but it was not available then.

If you want a unit that does everything well then go for these receivers i.e. Option 3 else Option 1 is the best with the right speakers. Since most listening will be streaming , Option 2 does not make much sense.

About the sound signature, as @Lizard King said in an earlier in this post about the Marantz line " my take is that higher models are more linear and neutral whereas lower models tend to have V shaped presentation and more 'fun', if you may". ...this was also confirmed by Anil at Hifimart.

Also when I moved from Marantz to Denon the sound was much more neutral but I took care of that with a subwoofer and am quite satisfied for the time being. I quite like the slimline NR1200 but dont know if it would be worth the effort.

Hi to All

Marantz PM6007 + Q 3030i is good match imo. 3030i have strong bass punch and smooth treble response with good amount of detail also nice vocal as its price. Just auditioned for a friend with 6006 amp and its quite impress me. I feel that enough bass to fill mid to small size room. wheres the concept 20 bookshelf have very laid back and lack of bass punch but in this catagory concept 20 need very good amount of amplification to shine. You can also cheack warfadale new 12.2 series bookshelf.. they are new upgraded version of 11.2. they are well reviewed.

Hi to All

Maranta NR 1200 and wharfedales are best combination as you think

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back