Advise needed on Center Channel

srijith

Hi All,

Iam in search for a good center channel speaker not too expensive.

My Setup includes AVR Denon 1312, Booskshelf KEF Q300, Subwoofer KEF C4. Iam finding it hard to hear dialouge with center channel missing.

Since i have KEF Q300 as LF and RH speakers, is it absolutely compulsory that i should only go for Q series KEF center channel which cost around (23000 for KEF Q200C) or can i go with any other not too expensive speaker.

Will there be a vast difference in sound quality if i go with any other brand.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Sree

Yes, you need to go for same brand same series. How much was the front speakers ? Just wondering hows is a center speaker matching bookshelf is so expensive

I am in same dillema almost 7 yrs down the line.
KEF Q300 as front with POLK OWM3 as surround attached to Denon 1713.
KEF Q200c centre costs Rs 30k.. very costly
What are other matching options?
Hall size 200sq feet , but viewing distance fom TV in only around 8to 9 feet...bit small. There is wall behind.

Not 'compulsory', no but definitely recommended to go with the same brand and series. The Q300 are very good speakers, for 30K you got a good deal I think. My advice would be to spend once and be happy, it will be a pinch perhaps but well worth one in my opinion, especially if you keep the same setup for the longer run.

As a quick check, have you tried toeing in the front speakers? Try them almost facing you in your sitting position. That can help with center channel clarity. Also (since it happened to me earlier), check any of the speaker cables is out of phase (just to rule out the possibility). That can eat into the center channel sound. And lastly, does your set up support biwiring? That can help too wit the balance and hence audibility of the dialogues.

If you’ve tried all the above no/low cost solutions and it still doesn’t make a difference, you could still go for the investment in a separate center speaker.

Hi All,

My Setup includes AVR Denon 1312, Booskshelf KEF Q300, Subwoofer KEF C4. Iam finding it hard to hear dialouge with center channel missing.

Since i have KEF Q300 as LF and RH speakers, is it absolutely compulsory that i should only go for Q series KEF center channel which cost around (23000 for KEF Q200C) or can i go with any other not too expensive speaker.

Please advise.

Cheers,
Sree

Hi

The Center speaker and subwoofer are the most important speakers who do most of the work for a movie or concert....the rest of the speakers are passengers who come on occasionally for effects etc.

Ensure you get a center speaker which can deliver maximum frequencies between the 20hz to 20khz spectrum. Usually Center speakers are a 2 two way type.....try to see if you can get a 3 way.....it will deliver better balanced crisp dialogues and performance...based on specs of amp...check impedance and most importantly the sensitivity (SPL), it should be 88db or more.....

We have ample dealers in Mumbai where you can audition and decide the best one that fits in your budget.....go window shopping with your best movie clip / concert which you are familiar with and audition the ones that fit your expectations including budget.

Since we have many dealers...take your time and demand for the best price.....afterall, whatever you decide to buy should keep you happy and please your ears till the next update!

All the best!

Hi All,

Please advise.

Cheers,
Sree
There's no strict rule..
would be better to go with same brand speaker so it will match the sound signature ...

You should be careful choosing other brand speakers ..check wattage ,sound signature ..etc. If possible try bringing other brand center speaker to your home ,check and decide.

I am in same dillema almost 7 yrs down the line.
KEF Q300 as front with POLK OWM3 as surround attached to Denon 1713.
KEF Q200c centre costs Rs 30k.. very costly
What are other matching options?
Hall size 200sq feet , but viewing distance fom TV in only around 8to 9 feet...bit small. There is wall behind.
I have a similar distance from TV with wall behind. I am using a 4.1 setup and my front speakers (Dali Zensor 3 bookshelf) are separated only by the width of the TV (50" Panny). I find that for these distances with a decent pair of fronts I don't feel the need for a separate center channel. The fronts do a very good job of pseudo center.

There is an Emotiva Airmotiv center 3 way speaker for sale in the Forum.....if your AVR can handle 4 ohms....then it makes sense...check the specs in terms of size and placement...all the best

Imagine watching terminator with a different center channel speaker than your kef Q series. When Arnie rides his bike from left to right on the screen, we would start with a Harley Davidson fatboy sound track. By the time the bike reaches the centre of the screen, it would sound like a yamaha. And when he reaches the right corner , it would be a Harley again.

So it is important to have a center channel speaker that is tone matched with your main fronts. So best to save up and buy the kef once and for all, instead of trying different speakers looking for that ideal tone match. All the best :)

Hi All,

Please advise.

Cheers,
Sree
I have Q100 as fronts. Recently got Polk CSi A4 as centre from a friend returning from USA, Happy with it. Wanted to go with q200, but was too expensive here and not easily available in us.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back