Advise on Sub-woofer & Tower Speakers

gautampatnaik

Hi FMs

I want to build my stereo set up within Rs. 1.2 Lakh. Couple of year’s back I had purchased Norge Reference Amplifier and Norge Tower Speakers. I enjoyed the two channel music. Of late I have bought Marantz PM5005 and it has changed the way I was listening music. I have paired it with Norge Tower and it sounds great with very clear & punchy bass and clarity, soundstage etc as compared to my earlier amplifier. I paired PM5005 with Polk Audio Tower, the mids are very enhanced but it lacked bass as compared to Norge Towers.

I added Polk Audio PSW 110 subwoofer, it sounds great but I feel i more suits for movies than for music. All my purchases are purely based on line reviews only. Because In Bhubnaewar no such dealer is present for demo.

Kindly advise me on the following

1. Is an expensive sub woofer like Klipsch R 12SW (approx 45 K) will sound really good for its price as compared to Polk Audio PSW 110 or Taga Harmony (all in the rage of 20 to 26 K). I am ok with a sub woofer 35 to 45K if its really make a "value for money" difference or should I settle for a range within 25 to 26 K for Music Only. I need tight bass not boomy.

2. If not much of a difference kindly suggest alternative models

3. For towers, if any FM has had Norge Tower experience and upgraded to higher model tower (with marantz kind amplifier) kindly also advise (within 50 K) if I should move upward.

4. My source is computer and DVD player. Please advise on improving the source quality. I tried with Fiio K3 DAC, but the improvement was not that appreciable.

Thanx

Gautam

for subwoofer in the 35-45K range for a combination of music and movies, look at the Q-Acoustics QB12. I have heard it and it is fantastic for the price.

Hi FMs

I want to build my stereo set up within Rs. 1.2 Lakh. Couple of year’s back I had purchased Norge Reference Amplifier and Norge Tower Speakers. I enjoyed the two channel music. Of late I have bought Marantz PM5005 and it has changed the way I was listening music. I have paired it with Norge Tower and it sounds great with very clear & punchy bass and clarity, soundstage etc as compared to my earlier amplifier. I paired PM5005 with Polk Audio Tower, the mids are very enhanced but it lacked bass as compared to Norge Towers.

I added Polk Audio PSW 110 subwoofer, it sounds great but I feel i more suits for movies than for music. All my purchases are purely based on line reviews only. Because In Bhubnaewar no such dealer is present for demo.

1. Is an expensive sub woofer like Klipsch R 12SW (approx 45 K) will sound really good for its price as compared to Polk Audio PSW 110 or Taga Harmony (all in the rage of 20 to 26 K). I am ok with a sub woofer 35 to 45K if its really make a "value for money" difference or should I settle for a range within 25 to 26 K for Music Only. I need tight bass not boomy.

3. For towers, if any FM has had Norge Tower experience and upgraded to higher model tower (with marantz kind amplifier) kindly also advise (within 50 K) if I should move upward.

4. My source is computer and DVD player. Please advise on improving the source quality. I tried with Fiio K3 DAC, but the improvement was not that appreciable.

Thanx

Gautam

At this budget have a look at Indiq Platinum Achal as your floorstanders , lot of FM's have joined the bandwagon (including me). These are well balanced across the spectrum , have plenty of bass so you can maybe skip the subwoofer altogether if you find the bass sufficient. Another advantage being you get a 15 days full refund window post delivery.

Hi FMs

Thanx

Gautam

Hi

1. To enjoy good music playback, a Sealed sub would work better. Polk HTS 10 and HTS 12 are good, audition if possible or read reviews or see some youtube videos....IMHO PSW 110 is not that great.

2. BIC America, Definitive Technology, Yamaha are some of the other brands you can look at.

3. The Marantz you are using (5005) is the entry level, so if you are looking at any other tower speakers, ensure the Sensitivity levels are higher side so they sound good (above 89db).

4. The DVD player would have its own pre amp and output to the marantz amp, nothing much can be tweaked there. Computer audio out, you can see various players available which will enhance the experience and output.

All the best

Hi FMs

Thanx

Gautam
You must opt for a sealed subwoofer..

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back