Advise on the Technics DD SL-Q300 Turntable

Record Player

Dear Members - Need some expert advise on the Direct Drive Technics SL-Q300 Turntable. A friend of mine is planning to give away his old SL Q300 TT.

The Stylus and Cartridge needs to be replaced. The tonearm and motor are in working condition.

What is the approxiame cost to replace the Stylus and Cartridge? Do you think this is a good acquisition? How is this model compared to the other models of Technics TTs (SL23, SL1200 Etc).

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

this is one of Technics' most mass market turntables.... it will be cheaper to go for a used 1300, 1600, 1700, 1800 etc...

they have a better build, a better arm and hence you can put better cartridges and up the performance...

The Technics SL Q300 is on the low end spectrum of Technics direct drive turntable offerings and was commonly packaged with the mass-market Technics racks. The tonearm is very basic and uses a p-mount cart. The platter too is very ordinary. With p-mount carts, your options are limited. Tracking can be a bit dodgy with the straight arm as well. As malvai has suggested, the Technics SL 1xxx series and SL 3xxx series direct drives with s-shaped tonearms and standard technics headshell would be a better bet. However if your friend is giving his TT away to you (assume its free of cost), you could use an el-cheapo Audio Technics AT93 cart for morderate to listenable results.

Dear Members - Need some expert advise on the Direct Drive Technics SL-Q300 Turntable. A friend of mine is planning to give away his old SL Q300 TT.

The Stylus and Cartridge needs to be replaced. The tonearm and motor are in working condition.

What is the approxiame cost to replace the Stylus and Cartridge? Do you think this is a good acquisition? How is this model compared to the other models of Technics TTs (SL23, SL1200 Etc).

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

I have a Technics SL-QD2, clearly another mass-market straight-arm P-mount model. While I'm sure better results can be obtained with other Technics TTs as already mentioned by forummers, I find that the Ortofon OMP-10 suits my needs quite well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back