Advised not to use Banana plugs

trumee

I was chatting with ProFx guy and he advised not to use any banana plugs. His viewpoint was to use plugs only for elderly people. There is bigger danger of plugs getting pulled out and getting shorted which would kill the AVR.

Took his advise and removed the plugs from floor standers which can get knocked around by kids or cleaning people.

alternatively , one can use Y spade plugs and secure tight.
Its very inconvenient and messy plugging multiple wires at the AVR side which are in very close proximity, at speaker end , one can manage.

I had faced a similar situation, my FS was knocked down by a friend, the banana plug broke into half. But I doubt such situations can cause shorts.
Infact bare wires can cause a short if small strands of pet hair or even human hair somehow end up touching both positive and negative joints, I had faced this too, my house was filled with dog hair strands and had to vacuum everything.

The chances of banana plugs causing short is less than bare wires resulting in the same. However one thing to note is that to make sure that the wires are tightly wound inside the banana plugs and do not become loose and touch another wire.

The problems will not arise with good quality banana plugs where the wire is secured by multiple screws or is of the strain type.
That said, if one is not going to fiddle with the cable often, then bare connection is best as long as it is securely tightened.
Thicker cables will have more strength and will not pull off that easily.

In my 5 channel power amplifier, I have to use 10 plugs. To avoid short circuit I covered the outer body of the plugs with HST. It gives me protection to some extend

In my 5 channel power amplifier, I have to use 10 plugs. To avoid short circuit I covered the outer body of the plugs with HST. It gives me protection to some extend
Actually using sleeves on connector pin ends is a standard practice in industry.

Really.. I know going for cheap plugs will cause problems like breaking and etc. but these are designed for convenience and to keep wires, strands, current flow, efficiency and other mind blowing things in check o_O:p:eek:. Now suddenly we shouldn’t use them!!! No recommended ?? Why don’t they come with innovative ideas like a sleeve that goes up or pulled up when plugged and automatically covers the contacts when removed. Audiophile community is any way used to such snakeoil stuff, and this will at least be a useful one:D..

this is just for fun and thought provoking..i respect everyone’s work and recommendations.

in my personal experience only the cheap banana plugs come out easily, and even then they don't touch each other, also AVR's have short circuit protection built into them. I can testify it to work and i have shorted my avrs a couple of times but all remains well :p

Really.. I know going for cheap plugs will cause problems like breaking and etc. but these are designed for convenience and to keep wires, strands, current flow, efficiency and other mind blowing things in check o_O:p:eek:. Now suddenly we shouldn’t use them!!! No recommended ?? Why don’t they come with innovative ideas like a sleeve that goes up or pulled up when plugged and automatically covers the contacts when removed. Audiophile community is any way used to such snakeoil stuff, and this will at least be a useful one:D..

this is just for fun and thought provoking..i respect everyone’s work and recommendations.
I have cheap 20 rs banana plug and they work fine. I went to a local electrician and had the speaker wire soldered to the banana plugs. Also I would personally disregard any advise from pro fx techniciians or any other dealership techs as my personal opinion is that they are extremely mediocre with limited tech knowledge. It's better to search for knowledge independent technicians in the city although they are extremely difficult to find

I was chatting with ProFx guy and he advised not to use any banana plugs. His viewpoint was to use plugs only for elderly people. There is bigger danger of plugs getting pulled out and getting shorted which would kill the AVR.

Took his advise and removed the plugs from floor standers which can get knocked around by kids or cleaning people.
Now that is the lamest advice i have heard, i m not surprised it has come from Pro FX :D
I have used tons of different brand banana plugs with tons of amps & avrs. It's the best way to get a clean & safe install, dunno what this dude was smoking but for sure it's good stuff..

This doesn't sound like good reason for not to use banana plugs! :rolleyes:

But, In audiophile world it is often suggested to go with bare wires rather than plugs for sound quality. You should clean regularly if you choose to use bare wires.

And everybody is running after the best banana plugs, vey gud piece of information you shared.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back