Ain't warped no more!

Hi guys!
Just thought i'd share this little corrective DIY experiment. And no I ain't talking 'bout me head!

I'm talking about the problem that affects every vinyl collector at some point of time - warped records.

It usually happens this way - the wife leaves a blind open to sunlight -making the poor lp turn to sunbathing instead of the turntable!

Punny stuff aside, if its a 'common' title, one simply scours the net, or the old mumbai (or wherever) pavements and simply replaces it...

But, what if its a hard to replace title like Miles' Birth of the Cool? :mad:

Worse! What if its sunbath has turned it into a very very warped leaf out of rare Jazz history, like so....

View attachment 1996

Then what you gotta do is simply glare at the wife. Reach into her wadrobe (at this point maintain the stare, don't lose eye-contact) and pull out her hair dryer. Then turn around in a huff and stride down to your work desk... (At this point if you wanna use your dining table, do so, coz she'd be sufficiently cowed down to not grumble about using the living room, until after you've done the corrective procedure!)

Now, what you gotta do is keep some heavy books (encyclopeadia*, dictionaries*, etc) handy.

Start blowing hot air from the dryer onto the afflicted areas for about 3-5 mins... Then, quickly put the heavy books on to the area (ensure that the surface below is flat as well, and ensure that the table and book surfaces are dust free or else the dust will embed itself permanently into the grooves...)

Keep the books on top like pic 2 for about 10 mins. Remove and check. The warp should have gone! If not, repeat process once more!

View attachment 1997

Now, this procedure does not correct the warp by a 100%. But in such a scenario, I for one, am happy with even the 95-98% correction (see below), as at least I can live with the LP until I find another clean copy! :yahoo:

View attachment 1998

*Yes they were actually available in paper instead of CD-ROMs at one time!:lol:

thanks Malvai...
To share this Info...really a help to me,
actually a while back I put One of my LP (The best of Ray Conniff) on my car's rear seat and parked it, when came back home and took out the record to play it, i was shocked to see it...was completely wrapped...
but then tried what you suggested here and its now in quite playable condition...:yahoo:
thanks once again.

thanks Malvai...
To share this Info...really a help to me,
actually a while back I put One of my LP (The best of Ray Conniff) on my car's rear seat and parked it, when came back home and took out the record to play it, i was shocked to see it...was completely wrapped...
but then tried what you suggested here and its now in quite playable condition...:yahoo:
thanks once again.

You're very welcome bro!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back