Ain't warped no more!

@ G (Shaizada),
With reference to above note from Manav (Malvai), did you notice ..when ever his excellency 'speaketh' the word 'wife' always pops up ??
And then you blame me to confer the 'DB - Divorce Bringer' tag onto you. :lol:

But i do agree in the end to one of your sayings - "divorce shall bring pain, which music can heal" LMAO

@ everyone,
Thanks to have pitched in. This is quite a 'musically hilarious' and educative discussion. Was quite a stress reliever while i read n smiled along yesterday night before sleeping. And then the last note from Malvai on Shaizada's one of many 'humble' suggestions got me into splits. :D

Wonder why this is so :rolleyes:

@ Sid, did you follow Shaizada's link for the nighthawk? if yes, lemme know what thedeal is, maybe we can club our purchase together!

malvai, I know that ring to work perfectly with the VPI platters. What table are you thinking of using the ring on?

Also, the VPI contraption is quite expensive at $699 but it is a sonic upgrade first, with the added benefit of flattening out warped records :)

Honestly, look into ttweights as well. They are cheaper than the VPI solution and function the same essentially.

However, if anyone has a VPI table, please make sure you get the VPI ring. Everything is matched up well sonically and functionally.

Finally, if any of you guys buy the Nighthawk, you have no idea the return on investment you are getting. This is a small time no name manufacturer with extremely HIGH quality, but nobody really knows about. You are buying directly from the manufacturer so all the middlemen markup is deleted. Typical markups are about 5x to 6x at retail. You do the math :)

Finally, that phono stage is playing in the league of $5.5k plus phono stages when it comes to sound. That is ridiculous in my books...ridiculously good!

malvai, I know that ring to work perfectly with the VPI platters. What table are you thinking of using the ring on?

Also, the VPI contraption is quite expensive at $699 but it is a sonic upgrade first, with the added benefit of flattening out warped records :)

Honestly, look into ttweights as well. They are cheaper than the VPI solution and function the same essentially.

However, if anyone has a VPI table, please make sure you get the VPI ring. Everything is matched up well sonically and functionally.

Finally, if any of you guys buy the Nighthawk, you have no idea the return on investment you are getting. This is a small time no name manufacturer with extremely HIGH quality, but nobody really knows about. You are buying directly from the manufacturer so all the middlemen markup is deleted. Typical markups are about 5x to 6x at retail. You do the math :)

Finally, that phono stage is playing in the league of $5.5k plus phono stages when it comes to sound. That is ridiculous in my books...ridiculously good!

Shaizada, am planning on the Clearaudio Ambient TT. It got sent to me for an extended audition last evening. And it is amaaaaaazing!
will be posting my review soon!
I think even clearaudio has somethign like this ring for its TT's... Will look into it.

Also, about the Nighthawk, Sid and I both have these concerns:
1. It works on batteries... isn't that bad?
2. What about aftersales service? Considering that its from a small manufacturer, what do we do here in India if anything goes wrong with it? Would love to take the plunge, esp since you've given it such high rating....

Yes, the Clearaudio has a similar ring called the Outer Limit. Make sure to get that if you get the Clearaudio turntable. The ambient is a beautiful piece :)

Battery power is the most preferable thing for a piece of equipment. Not having to deal with an AC power supply is extremely advantageous. You are completely off the grid with batteries and don't have to deal with all the irregularities and grunge in the AC power. Redwine audio has made a whole business out of getting components off the grid and supplied with clean battery power. Basically, battery power is the cleanest source of power and hence a clearer signal out the other end.

In Audio, power supplies is probably the most important thing in a component. They have to be robust and well built. Battery power addresses that perfectly.

Read more about Redwineaudio here:
About > Why SLA Battery Power? - Red Wine Audio

He talks about battery power in more detail that I could. Also, he using Sealed Lead Acid batteries. It would be cost prohibitive to use Lithium Ion batteries for his applications.

Lastly, there is absolutely NOTHING that can go wrong with stuff that Ray builds. He builds thing to be bulletproof. Reason being, Ray used to work for the US military. All his work is mil spec. His circuits, soldering jobs have to last in the subzero temperatures of space and even near the heat levels of a volcano. Believe me when I tell you....his stuff is OVER BUILT and out of this world really.

Here are some build quality shots of the B52 I use, which is lovingly builds over 7 ~ 10 days for each preamp.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0021-1.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

That is the level of build quality that he does by hand for every piece that leaves his place.

His after sales service is probably the best in the world. Honestly, the best sales service I have ever experienced is from Apple. They take care of you like more than family. Service from Ray, if ever even needed, is a step ahead.

He builds his products so that they never ever come back to him and have a long useable life. He feels customers should get what they pay for and US military specification work is the best he knows and is a master of.

You guys really have NOTHING to worry about with regards to service. Only thing better than Rays product quality is his service. It is this level of commitment and product quality that has me amazed with his products. I keep trying to find equivalent sounding products at ANY price level (that I can afford) to meet or beat his stuff and I always fall short.

Last edited:
Dude are you going tobe here in India sometime soon? Would love to hear the nighthawk once!

Dude are you going tobe here in India sometime soon? Would love to hear the nighthawk once!

I would be coming to Delhi in October (90% probability). I'll bring the Nighthawk with me then. You're welcome to hear it.

hehe!! I like sooooooo... many goodies in there........

Last a lifetime. PSU looks totally over-engineered and bomb-proof.

Man, it is really bomb proof. Those transformers are custom wound for him and only him by Plitron :clapping:

Me thinks me heart is now 200% sold to this! Gawd save me from the wife's arched eyebrow!

try the lyrita tube phonoamp also you just might be missing something spectacular ;)

I will give the Lyrita a fair bit of listening too! I'm going to Delhi end of the moth and intend doing an extensive round of listening courtesy Sid and Gvenu.

that's a great idea. Get some good looking wood housings done by your carpenter and house (hide) your components inside them.

Dear pal,
I've a senior dear friend living in the US who's a budding audiophile for the last 30 odd years. His entire electronics have always been Audio Research in Silver finish.

One day, I ask him but why he never considers any other brand?
Quietly, he said, he's always been happily married! The wife NEVER hassled him for his lavishness on the Audio gear. In fact, the wife did & does from time to time suggest he should buy more software regularly and often says "god! these Audio Research components we have last a lifetime!".

Grinning, my friend tells me, the wife never noticed the no. of times Preamps went in and out, amps went in and out. He's been constantly upgrading! And since they all look the same to the wife, things are peaceful.

Now - that's what I call "a classic way of balancing!"

regards!

Dear pal,
I've a senior dear friend living in the US who's a budding audiophile for the last 30 odd years. His entire electronics have always been Audio Research in Silver finish.

Quietly, he said, he's always been happily married! The wife NEVER hassled him for his lavishness on the Audio gear. In fact, the wife did & does from time to time suggest he should buy more software regularly and often says "god! these Audio Research components we have last a lifetime!".

Grinning, my friend tells me, the wife never noticed the no. of times Preamps went in and out, amps went in and out. He's been constantly upgrading! And since they all look the same to the wife, things are peaceful.

regards!

ROTFL!
This is hilarious!

Dear pal,

Regards!

haha ...i love when my wife n folks say! - "these tin boxes, they all look the same" -

*I have em all in grey's n Brushed aluminium :D - you know what am thinking lol

now before you get into trouble, that means i'm gonna be rich. or perhaps you meant he (malvai) is gonna be rich :D
Yes :yahoo: malvai is going to be rich, pssst saw him at patent office with 'super luxury' prototype.
would hot water work? immerse the damaged part in hot water, swirl around a bit for couple of minutes and then put it under some weight?
Yes hot water does work but deciding the right temperature is an issue.Placing it between glass plates under the sun is best method. I read somewhere few people put them in oven too. Now if you do that you will not only get arched eyebrows from your better half but an expression that will say she has given up hope. So unless the vinyl is rare better to get second copy. And best way is to take care of them like babies after all you do clean them and change nappies (sleeves). :)

best way is to take care of them like babies after all you do clean them and change nappies (sleeves). :)

This is actually the way LPs are meant to be treated!

Also, when handling LPs, make sure everything you do is smooth and slow instead of fast rough. When this becomes a SOP, you'll never ever mishandle and LP in if you're handling the Lp in your sleep!

mahi... just put the LP on the platter, bend down a bit so the side of the lp is at eye level, then manually spin the platter, if the LP looks "wavy" it is a bit warped, if the LP looks veeery wavy its quite warped...

Then there are the very obviously warped ones... those will be plain as day - WARPED!

Got your point malvi. A good example is

YouTube - Koetsu Black on cocobolo arm with sounds. :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back