All new 2008 models ? Full HD?37 to 40 inch category.

square_wave

I was reading the whathifi issue for April where they reviewed some of the new full HD models from a dozen manufacturers ( All 37- 40inch models priced 60 to 90k). It seems that full HD with 24fps playback is going to be a common spec in the 60 to 90k category of 37-40 inch models from now on.
Yesterday, I went to some of the big showrooms in Bangalore and none of them have any of these new models in stock. They are still selling the older hd ready models in the 37-40inch category at the same prices???..What?s happening ?

I was reading the whathifi issue for April where they reviewed some of the new full HD models from a dozen manufacturers ( All 37- 40inch models priced 60 to 90k). It seems that full HD with 24fps playback is going to be a common spec in the 60 to 90k category of 37-40 inch models from now on.
Yesterday, I went to some of the big showrooms in Bangalore and none of them have any of these new models in stock. They are still selling the older hd ready models in the 37-40inch category at the same prices???..What?s happening ?

I feel pitty for the Dealers who stock the LCD range , since the prices and the specifications are fast changing , all the new stocks will be old within 5 to 6 months , before that they have to sell all their stocks . The showrooms in Bangalore should be having some old stocks which they are trying to push , atleast they should give some discounts to the customers who purchase these old stocks. If there is any such discount kindly inform that in the forum hihihihi

I feel pitty for the Dealers who stock the LCD range , since the prices and the specifications are fast changing , all the new stocks will be old within 5 to 6 months , before that they have to sell all their stocks . The showrooms in Bangalore should be having some old stocks which they are trying to push , atleast they should give some discounts to the customers who purchase these old stocks. If there is any such discount kindly inform that in the forum hihihihi

Yup.
I thought so too. I?ll let you guys know if there is some nice discount going on?.
Btw: The 37 inch hd ready plasma from Panasonic (TH37PX70) which is an award winning model with great picture is nowhere to be found. Nobody including the Panasonic brand shop is stocking it.

@square_wave,

Actually, we do have the TH37PX70 in India, but here its sold as TH37PV70. The difference being, PX has a in-built digital tuner which is common for TVs sold in the US and UK, but the model without a digital tuner is sold as PV which has a analogue tuner instead.

My suggestion to you is wait for the new 2008 models which will be releasing in India in June-July ( hopefully !!! ). One of the models will be the TH37PV80 which is the successor to the PV70. It has good specifications and very good performance. Check out this review from TrustedReviews.com. This was the TV they were talking about in the April issue of What*Hi-fi mag. If I remember correctly, they had tagged the 37PV80 at Rs.66,000 which is a VERY attractive price , i think.

I too was tracking the PV70 from many months but as you said the 37" model was never seen in stores in Bangalore. But they have the 42" model as I checked last week from e-zone and Croma.

TH42PV70 - Rs. 75000
TH42PV7 -Rs. 69000 ( same as PV70 but with lesser features and specs)

Good to hear about this new model from Panasonic : TH37PV80. Read the review. Looks like they have introduced the V-Real 3 image processing, 100 hz capability and 15000 : 1 which is quite an upgrade over the previous model.
I have always liked plasma pictures over lcd ones. They look more natural with more low level details especially in the black areas and actually more contrast than the lcd panels.
I think I?ll wait for this one?.:))
To fit 1024 x 768 plasma pixels into 37 inch panel is quite a feat though?:)

I agree 100% with you on this one. Even though LCD's may boast of higher technical specifications on paper, in the end it comes down to how the picture appeals to your eyes. Plasmas inherently have deeper blacks and better actual contrast. and the screen res. on the 37" is 1024x720 not 768.

OLED looks promising. Looks like it is the future:)
But by the time it becomes common and affordable, it will be at least 5 years.

OLED is a loong way off although the picture is breathtakingly natural. It's like looking through a window. :rolleyes:.

But I dont think we can plan on buying on soon since the only production model is the 11" from Sony selling at a cool US $2000 only.

Here's a pic:

sony3.jpg

Dream on, friends !!!

The price drop is something which keeps happening in the world of consumer electronics. When the new models are launched, there are hefty price drops on the previous years' models to clear the stock.

In this case, I am sure when the Panasonic 2008 models are launched in June-July, the older models will be selling for a good discount. But I would be hesitant to buy the cheaper older models because I know that the new models have better features and worth that little extra money. So I wait for the price to come down to my expectations and the wait continues.

As they say in electronics," The best time to buy is now". :D

Happened to visit Cr2 mall yesterday and saw VU technologies 32, 40, 47 & 52" LCDs' at their showroom. The prices are really amazing, with 40" quoted @ Rs69K and 47" @ Rs99K both full HD (1080p). Excellent picture quality. Any owners of this product can please share their experience as I am planning to go in for a 40" LCD shortly.

panasonic new line

I checked at the Panasonic brand shop yesterday. Looks like they are expecting the new vierra models in two months time.
It seems the older 37 inch plasma from Panasonic TH37PV70 was never available through the Panasonic brand shop. Only the 40 inch and upwards were sold. The 37 inchers were available only through gray market.
Is this true ?

Re: panasonic new line

yes, that's right, even the Panasonic India website displays only the 42" and above models. the CNET asia link above quotes a price of Rs.76000 :eek: for the 42PV80 based on Singapore market prices. I guess it will actually cost a bit more when released here. :(

I checked at the Panasonic brand shop yesterday. Looks like they are expecting the new vierra models in two months time.
It seems the older 37 inch plasma from Panasonic TH37PV70 was never available through the Panasonic brand shop. Only the 40 inch and upwards were sold. The 37 inchers were available only through gray market.
Is this true ?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back