All That Jazz ...

Cark Terry's album better known as, "In Orbit". Monk as sideman and his only date with Riverside. View attachment 71729

I was going through Monk’s discography last month when I came across this album. Figured it was a safe blind buy and bought it without bothering to check samples. Going by all the comments here, guess I’ve lucked out big time!
Waiting for my free courier service (read MiL) to deliver it soon :)

Btw, got the other cover:

C5D326C7-7ADA-45E6-9AE3-DEDE6EBA513A.jpeg

I was going through Monk’s discography last month when I came across this album. Figured it was a safe blind buy and bought it without bothering to check samples. Going by all the comments here, guess I’ve lucked out big time!
Waiting for my free courier service (read MiL) to deliver it soon :)

Btw, got the other cover:

View attachment 71755
Thats great. Also yours is the original cover, the other is a reissue and retitled to CT meets Monk.

View attachment 71877
25 and 26 am going. Anyone else?

The Mingus Big Band is truly worthy of their name. I watched them play years ago at The Jazz Standard in New York, where they had a regular Monday night residency. Unfortunately, the Standard closed its doors in 2020, thanks to the pandemic. I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy them thoroughly.
I really wish I could have attended the Monty Alexander show on Sunday. And, caught up with another jazzhead, too!. Alas, that’s not to be. Will wait for your show report, instead :)

Indian jazz is alive and kicking.
Thanks @himadri - enjoying the album! Jazz rock at its energetic best on this track. All four artists played wonderfully and in sync. Of course the biggest love goes to Mohini and Lydian, the Indian wunderkinds. (Also can’t help but think of how Rahman, besides being a phenomenal musician/composer, promotes talent that’s making an international impact). Similarly, Barot and Banks would be so proud of Mohini!

But technically I won’t call this ‘Indian Jazz’ - that term would suggest a fusion with an Indian genre. This (track) is more of Jazz-rock by (some) Indian artists. (The last song in the album, Spark-Plug might borderline pass on as Indian Fusion with Vaidhya’s Veena in it). Not sure who was the composer of this piece - assuming it’s Lydian as his name appears first.

Also liked the Sax artist Erik Marienthal - following him now. The drummer Weckl is wicked! 😊

Guys, you think this album has a Grammy chance? It has has good variety too, thereby appealing to larger audiences. But it’s not from any of the labels. What I liked and found impressive too is the variety of musicians Lydian has collaborated with in this album. And it’s just his first! Let’s hope the sophomore effort would be as strong and yet different.

Last edited:
Newbie to JAZZ, Enjoying it much. Never knew Jazz is exhilarating.
YellowJackets
View attachment 71530

JD ALLENS
View attachment 71531
As a Yellowjackets fan since their first release in 1981, and last release in 2005, I didn't even think this band was still around as I see this 2022 release. I have a lot of their stuff on vinyl as well. This my CD collection...

Yellowjackets.jpg

Anyway, great band, though members have changed over the year. The only consistent member seems to be Russell Ferrante (sax), Will Kennedy (drums) from '87 on. Haven't heard any of their new stuff since my last buy with "Altered State" in 2005.

Not heard it in while.
One rockin’ album from

Attachments

• E3A3CA1F-D9EC-4390-AE93-3CD501C3E6D8.png
    E3A3CA1F-D9EC-4390-AE93-3CD501C3E6D8.png
    305.6 KB · Views: 1
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back