All That Jazz ...

For guitar fans , a nice overview of Allan Holdsworth Albums by a fellow Holdsworth traveller .

Spent the morning spinning both versions of Out to Lunch back to back..

kyHxnwul.jpeg

Spent the morning spinning both versions of Out to Lunch back to back..

kyHxnwul.jpeg
What a fantastic cover! I presume it’s an homage to the original? Hopefully its available on Apple Music or YT.

Stumbled Upon "Return To Forever".
My very first cd, purchased in 1990. I was a big fan of Al Di Meola at that time, which led me to this album. That’s the beauty of jazz: each member of a band has albums of their own as a leader. Even if you’re hooked on to a particular player, you can find yourself branching out in so many different directions.

It’s been mentioned before, but it’s worth repeating: this thread is awesome! Thanks to the amazing recommendations from all its contributors, my ears have been exposed to sounds I may never have heard otherwise.
My latest haul contains quite a few albums that I first encountered here. Plus a few I stumbled upon by sheer fluke. Below are short notes on some of the stuff that might not have been covered by others. I sincerely hope you folks also discover some new sounds for yourselves.

We start off with Japanese Jazz; a fantastic sub-genre I discovered thanks to @acemachine26 @Nikhil @Jayant_S @headcase and others.
The first four have already been mentioned, so let’s move on to the others:
Green Caterpillar - cool funk jazz led by pianist Masaru Imada, with the grooving Kazumi Watanabe on guitar.
When a Man Loves a Woman - this is a live set led by bassist Takashi Mizuhasi. It contains 3 long takes that move from soul jazz to free jazz to jazz funk. It’s a fiery album that’s very different from the typical TBM fare.
Sky View - another great jazz funk/soul/fusion album led by saxophonist Hidefumi Toki.
Ginkai - this one is really unusual; a fusion of jazz and Japanese classical music. Led by Hozan Yamamoto on shakuhachi (wooden Japanese flute), and featuring Gary Peacock on bass. Well worth checking out.

Orang-utan - another cool Suzuki album with Mari Nakamoto on vocals for one track.
Coco’s Blues - Sunao Wada is a superb blues guitarist and this is a great companion album to Green Caterpillar.
Live at Vidro ‘77 - this is a fantastic live set featuring pianist Ryo Fukui in a small Sapporo jazz club. If you like the TBM trio albums, you’ll love this.
Rock Joint Biwa - this one is totally out there! A fusion of jazz, rock, funk, trad Japanese and psychedelia. Rock Joint is a band led by pianist Hiromasa Suzuki, while the ‘biwa’ is a Japanese lute-like stringed instrument. Super cool album!

A45786C7-5D75-4534-8DD7-3C48668F2603.jpeg6AD2FA6E-BED4-4367-AF67-F4F0BAAFD76A.jpeg0C7D301D-60D4-4D28-BCF6-989953863C00.jpeg

Consummation - a great recommendation from @acemachine26 ! It’s surprising that such a wonderful album is oop, so had to settle for a second hand cd.
Metaphysics - @moktan had posted this one a while ago, and I’m glad I remembered to pick it up. Ali has a unique angular style that reminds me of Monk. Odeon Pope is also rocking on sax.
In Orbit - speaking of Monk, this one was in the news recently :) One of the (very) rare occasions when Monk filled in as sideman throughout an entire album.
Jazz Waltz - Les McCann with the Crusaders? Bring it on! This was an obvious blind (deaf?) buy.

5E770E28-AB5F-4F0F-9950-540D1CEE46F6.jpeg

74 Miles Away - another funky Cannonball date with Zawinul on keyboards. Played live in front of a studio audience, so you get quite a few anecdotes by the leader between tracks.
Breathe - this is essentially a grooving ‘Live at the Village Vanguard’ set, bookended by two studio tracks featuring Iggy Pop on vocals! Sounds bizarre, but he actually comes across as a legitimate jazz crooner. Worth checking out.
Unify and Resonate - Lettuce is a new discovery for me. A present day jazz funk band from Boston who’ve definitely been listening to a lot of The Crusaders!

CB430558-8C2E-4D8F-93C4-880499013F43.jpeg

Regulars on this thread will know I’m a fan of CTI records. Picked up three classics that should be in every collection, plus one I’d never heard before:
Forecast: Eric Gale features on quite a few CTI dates, but this is probably his only solo date for them (I think). Classic Kudu vibe, ie, great jazz funk.

7638F103-1440-49AE-8E29-7DACE6C0B0DC.jpeg

Contrary to what @Jayant_S thinks, there are still quite a few Blue Notes I don’t have :) Picked up three classics and one new album:
Re:imagined - a double cd set of today’s Brit jazz stars reinterpreting classic BN tunes. Nubya Garcia’s take on Joe Henderson’s ‘A Shade of Jade’ will convince you to part with your cash!

221E41F3-A081-42A0-916D-BC373B61A5C4.jpeg

Finally, a triple disc set of obscure (for me) female crooners, reinterpreting everything from Bill Withers to Dire Straits, via A-ha and Backstreet Boys! Smoky cocktail jazz for a mere $10.
And a double disc set of CTI’s impressive lineup in concert.

E5211211-B110-4D64-B6AD-2342D5473208.jpeg8C8D84E9-26C0-4C88-8C7F-58C8C2BB5A7B.jpeg

Guess I’ll disappear for a while now, for obvious reasons :)

It’s been mentioned before, but it’s worth repeating: this thread is awesome! Thanks to the amazing recommendations from all its contributors, my ears have been exposed to sounds I may never have heard otherwise.
My latest haul contains quite a few albums that I first encountered here. Plus a few I stumbled upon by sheer fluke. Below are short notes on some of the stuff that might not have been covered by others. I sincerely hope you folks also discover some new sounds for yourselves.

We start off with Japanese Jazz; a fantastic sub-genre I discovered thanks to @acemachine26 @Nikhil @Jayant_S @headcase and others.
The first four have already been mentioned, so let’s move on to the others:
Green Caterpillar - cool funk jazz led by pianist Masaru Imada, with the grooving Kazumi Watanabe on guitar.
When a Man Loves a Woman - this is a live set led by bassist Takashi Mizuhasi. It contains 3 long takes that move from soul jazz to free jazz to jazz funk. It’s a fiery album that’s very different from the typical TBM fare.
Sky View - another great jazz funk/soul/fusion album led by saxophonist Hidefumi Toki.
Ginkai - this one is really unusual; a fusion of jazz and Japanese classical music. Led by Hozan Yamamoto on shakuhachi (wooden Japanese flute), and featuring Gary Peacock on bass. Well worth checking out.

Orang-utan - another cool Suzuki album with Mari Nakamoto on vocals for one track.
Coco’s Blues - Sunao Wada is a superb blues guitarist and this is a great companion album to Green Caterpillar.
Live at Vidro ‘77 - this is a fantastic live set featuring pianist Ryo Fukui in a small Sapporo jazz club. If you like the TBM trio albums, you’ll love this.
Rock Joint Biwa - this one is totally out there! A fusion of jazz, rock, funk, trad Japanese and psychedelia. Rock Joint is a band led by pianist Hiromasa Suzuki, while the ‘biwa’ is a Japanese lute-like stringed instrument. Super cool album!

View attachment 72153View attachment 72154View attachment 72155

Consummation - a great recommendation from @acemachine26 ! It’s surprising that such a wonderful album is oop, so had to settle for a second hand cd.
Metaphysics - @moktan had posted this one a while ago, and I’m glad I remembered to pick it up. Ali has a unique angular style that reminds me of Monk. Odeon Pope is also rocking on sax.
In Orbit - speaking of Monk, this one was in the news recently :) One of the (very) rare occasions when Monk filled in as sideman throughout an entire album.
Jazz Waltz - Les McCann with the Crusaders? Bring it on! This was an obvious blind (deaf?) buy.

View attachment 72156

74 Miles Away - another funky Cannonball date with Zawinul on keyboards. Played live in front of a studio audience, so you get quite a few anecdotes by the leader between tracks.
Breathe - this is essentially a grooving ‘Live at the Village Vanguard’ set, bookended by two studio tracks featuring Iggy Pop on vocals! Sounds bizarre, but he actually comes across as a legitimate jazz crooner. Worth checking out.
Unify and Resonate - Lettuce is a new discovery for me. A present day jazz funk band from Boston who’ve definitely been listening to a lot of The Crusaders!

View attachment 72157

Regulars on this thread will know I’m a fan of CTI records. Picked up three classics that should be in every collection, plus one I’d never heard before:
Forecast: Eric Gale features on quite a few CTI dates, but this is probably his only solo date for them (I think). Classic Kudu vibe, ie, great jazz funk.

View attachment 72158

Contrary to what @Jayant_S thinks, there are still quite a few Blue Notes I don’t have :) Picked up three classics and one new album:
Re:imagined - a double cd set of today’s Brit jazz stars reinterpreting classic BN tunes. Nubya Garcia’s take on Joe Henderson’s ‘A Shade of Jade’ will convince you to part with your cash!

View attachment 72159

Finally, a triple disc set of obscure (for me) female crooners, reinterpreting everything from Bill Withers to Dire Straits, via A-ha and Backstreet Boys! Smoky cocktail jazz for a mere $10.
And a double disc set of CTI’s impressive lineup in concert.

View attachment 72160View attachment 72161

Guess I’ll disappear for a while now, for obvious reasons :)
Incredible picks! That Hozan Yamamoto - Silver World is one of my grails. Can never have too many TBM releases either. I've been meaning to pick up both Blue Note Re:Imagined 1 & 2, really liked what I heard from samples. Metaphysics is another one I've been eyeing too.

Green caterpillar and Funky Stuff get repeated spins in my den - both stone cold bangers!
Exactly what I was listening to last night, along with Coco’s Blues :)
Also discovered that the pianist on Funky Stuff, Hiromasa Suzuki, is the same chap behind Rock Joint Biwa. It’s available on Apple Music, so do check out. Pretty sure you’ll like it.

That Hozan Yamamoto - Silver World is one of my grails.
That was one of my fluke finds as it came up on YouTube; someone had uploaded a needle drop of the entire album. It was love at first listen :)
Finding a new vinyl copy may be difficult, but some good secondhand copies seem to be available on Discogs.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back