All That Jazz ...

Rewatched an old gem from my college days last night - A Soldier’s Story.
I clearly remember enjoying the Herbie Hancock soundtrack, but had forgotten all about Patti Labelle.
More blues than jazz, but swinging, nevertheless:

A new (for me) jazz combo: GoGo Penguin

As per Wikipedia:
"The band's music features break-beats, minimalist piano melodies, powerful basslines, drums inspired from electronica and anthemic riffs. They compose and perform as a unit. Their music incorporates elements of electronica, trip-hop, jazz, rock and classical music.

Critics have described GoGo Penguin's music with references to Esbjörn Svensson Trio, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Massive Attack, Brian Eno, modern classical composers Shostakovich and Debussy, or contemporary minimal music composers like Philip Glass."

I totally agree about powerful baselines. They have a great sense of drive. Also agree about trip hop influences.

A new (for me) jazz combo: GoGo Penguin

Read the Downbeat review and then chanced upon this album on amazon India a few months ago. Was just Rs.400, so took a punt.
Yes, they do sound like EST, but less adventurous.
Also, if you like this, do check out Medeski, Martin and Wood, if you haven’t already.
Uninvisible and Tonic are good places to start.

Read the Downbeat review and then chanced upon this album on amazon India a few months ago. Was just Rs.400, so took a punt.
Yes, they do sound like EST, but less adventurous.
Also, if you like this, do check out Medeski, Martin and Wood, if you haven’t already.
Uninvisible and Tonic are good places to start.

Add John Scofield for icing on the cake

The story of Bernhard Schimpelsberger training under a Guru in Mumbai is quite heart warming. To move to a new country and embrace it so. Had heard vocalising of tabla beats and time keeping earlier, I only now found about Konnakol. His Guru Purnima concert is very nice as well. Anybody from Mumbai seen more of him or know him?

Last edited:
Hey bought a whole lot of CDs - jimmy smith, bud shank, ornette Coleman (shape of jazz, old cd went kaput), Jimmy giuffre 1961, Branford Marsalis - my usual set.

Made an impulse purchase in the shop as were playing it on the shop hifi - Yazz Ahmed, La Saboteuse. That it was on the Naim label was an added plus. (My first amp was a Naim Nait). Very very nice - good sound too. A middle eastern feel to the album without going too much the fusion way. And a lady jazz artist too! More power to her.

1567686448806.jpeg

Hey bought a whole lot of CDs - jimmy smith, bud shank, ornette Coleman (shape of jazz, old cd went kaput), Jimmy giuffre 1961, Branford Marsalis - my usual set.

Made an impulse purchase in the shop as were playing it on the shop hifi - Yazz Ahmed, La Saboteuse. That it was on the Naim label was an added plus. (My first amp was a Naim Nait). Very very nice - good sound too. A middle eastern feel to the album without going too much the fusion way. And a lady jazz artist too! More power to her.

View attachment 38876

Is good, Yazz Ahmed

Jerry Garcia singing Dylan’s Visions of Joanna ..16 minutes of pure bliss ..

No one will do it better than Garcia. As a fan of both Dylan and The Dead, I love both versions.

Slightly OT, but there are some superb Dylan covers on the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert album, including a soul stirring rendition of Blowing In the Wind by Stevie Wonder

Very nicely done jazz versions of the Sgt. Peppers album. I was challenged to recognise some of the songs without looking at the screen. You guys try it.
A Day In The Life: Impressions Of Pepper https://g.co/kgs/6QrfSP
And here's the Spotify link:

Chers!

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back