All That Jazz ...

I have the Marshall Kilburn. The sound is respectable for a bluetooth speaker. The retro looks appealed to me. But at best it’s a bedside speaker or something that you can carry to the garden or the terrace. Given the size of your room it won‘t be adequate for serious listening. Also please be warned that it’s very difficult to replace the batteries. Even in Europe, Marshall said it was available only in a few cities. Also they have done something with the design so that it’s difficult to replace with generic batteries. That being said the battery life is good. Also I think they have the Kilburn II in the market now.
Looking to buy new speakers in New Delhi so request for a few brands suggestions for mainly listening to Rock & Jazz, my room size 12ft X 16ft.

Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speakers is an option to buy if I cant get any good bookshelf or floor standing speakers.

Cheers

Looking to buy new speakers in New Delhi so request for a few brands suggestions for mainly listening to Rock & Jazz, my room size 12ft X 16ft.

Marshall Kilburn Bluetooth speakers is an option to buy if I cant get any good bookshelf or floor standing speakers.

Cheers
I’d recommend opening a new thread in the ‘what should I buy‘ section. Mention budget and existing equipment, so members can offer relevant advice.

Replying to both Jayant and you. You have inspired me to listen to my soundtrack albums. Perhaps after I finish my current Chopin Impromptus CD (that inspired by a conversation with Sushant)

This one is absolutely gorgeous.

If you buy 2 of the soundtrack albums of Madison county, you get one full album of Hartman (once in every life). What a singer he was and so underrated I always wanted to combine the CDs Instead still as two CDs.

here is another soundtrack album that I had bought for the cool cover. Too lazy to pull out the LP so internet zindabad. The music is decent.
1588519551724.jpeg

@ vivek
Had no idea Herbie composed Death Wish! Need to check it out.
Another of his films is A Soldier’s Story. Have the movie but not the music. Here’s a clip featuring the incomparable Patti Labelle.

@vivek_r and @coaltrain since we're talking soundtracks, three of my favorites :

Theme song of Farewell, my Lovely - based on the Raymond Chandler book. I can vividly visualize the world weary Philip Marlowe with this tune

Who can forget Paul Neumann in The Hustler?

Dexter Gordon starred in Round Midnight as a down at heel Jazz musician. I thought his acting was quite rotten in spite of the Oscar nomination he got for that role :D but that soundtrack - man oh man...produced by Herbie Hancock and starring Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, John McLaughlin and Tony Williams!
A must listen.

There are a few jazz fans on the forum whom I have had the pleasure of meeting over the years. I have met a few forum members with outstanding music in this genre - be it 60's classics or modern European jazz. Jazz and audio seems to go hand in hand with even casual audio enthusiasts having a couple of albums in their collection. It would be nice if some of you could share your recommendations for jazz music.

Let's hope we can get a nice collection of Jazz recommendations on here.

** For those checking in late here is the Youtube playlist of all the music shared on this thread:
** https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKW91nNDh0sifjlwBq60T5X3BmOn2-EYu

Regards.

i hav some old jazz LPs which iam listening

Anatomy Of A Murder...great movie...Ellington is Pie Eye...

@vivek_r and @coaltrain since we're talking soundtracks, three of my favorites :

Theme song of Farewell, my Lovely - based on the Raymond Chandler book. I can vividly visualize the world weary Philip Marlowe with this tune

Dexter Gordon starred in Round Midnight as a down at heel Jazz musician. I thought his acting was quite rotten in spite of the Oscar nomination he got for that role :D but that soundtrack - man oh man...produced by Herbie Hancock and starring Wayne Shorter, Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, John McLaughlin and Tony Williams!
A must listen.

And this one for the Krazy (in a brilliant way) from Kalimpong who listens to Braxton. Absolutely adore this song - Fontella Bass (what a voice, rubbish lyrics) and such great solos and when the chorus comes. Wow!!

used to be my test LP. God knows why. A movie soundtrack. Sushant though modern jazz, it grooves

A must listen.

i am a massive Raymond Chandler fan! We meet we have highballs and move so cool what?

Last edited:
i am a massive Raymond Chandler fan! We meet we have highballs and move so cool what?
Out of all the noir movies I watched in my noir watching period , I don’t know which one I find the more intriguing- The Big Sleep or The Maltese Falcon.
The one has Raymond Chandler , the other Dashiell Hammett, both have Boggart and either unravel like cinematic matroyoshka dolls.
I think I will give The Big Sleep the slight edge after all.
‘The Maltese Falcon may or may not be a work of genius, but an art which is capable of it is not 'by hypothesis' incapable of anything. Once a detective story can be as good as this, only the pedants will deny that it could be even better. Hammett did something else, he made the detective story fun to write, not an exhausting concatenation of insignificant clues.’
from The Simple Art of Murder - Raymond Chandler.
By the way, The Simple Art of Murder (Chandler -1950) and The Decline of English Murder (Orwell-1946) are great disquisitions for the reading pleasure of those disturbed enough to revel in the fiction of the macabre enterprise of murder.
Or ‘Murder?’ as Dennis Hoey’s Lestrade would exclaim in Sherlock.
But at least here there are no doubts - Basil Rathbone and Sidney Paget respectively , played and drew Holmes better than anyone else.

Oh yes - the James Stewart starrer! They don't make movies or even actors like them anymore
I could be the minority here, but I found "Anatomy of a murder" not as great as I had anticipated; lacking in pace, with the court room sequences (and a few others) which started to drag on for too long and some support characters who had no major role to play. IIRC, it was held together by the Jazz soundtrack and Jimmy Stewart. He brings in his charm, quirks and energy to all his characters. This movie was another Jimmy show from start to finish, IMO.

Another movie from Otto Preminger which surprised me positively was the lesser known, "Bunny lake is missing". Here it was the other way round, not an ounce of extra flab in the screenplay, as tight as a drum. This was an engaging thrill ride, from the first to last scene. Outside of the Hitchcock universe, this is as good as it gets :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back