All That Jazz ...

Chano Dominguez with NFS ( New Flamenco Sound ) - Cilantro Y Comino ..great fusion sound ....

Charlie Hunter sounding his most guitar-like in years! The entire album is great, including the title: ‘Everybody Has A Plan Until They Get Punched In The Mouth’ (as quoted by Mike Tyson)

Nomo. One of my favourite bands that no one has ever heard of. They record infrequently and it’s really hard to get a hold of their albums. But do try. Their music is hypnotic.

Very nice Coaltrain. I thought I heard elements of Afrobeat and then read they are inspired by Fela Kuti. Will check out more of their music. Adding to it

Last edited:
Absolutely right, Sushant.
The sax also sounds very Coltrane-ish, especially on their album ‘Ghost Rock’.
Another new London based Band, Maisha, first heard of them on Downbeat. Never knew there was a sub genre called spiritual jazz. You can hear shades of Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra and John Coltrane. I think they are cross pollinating and mixing so many different elements from spiritual jazz to Afrobeat to Electronic music and more. On one song, I was reminded of Trilok Gurtu.

wpcr000025130_LLL.jpg

TIDAL: https://tidal.com/browse/album/68714033

A friend suggested "The Indo Jazzmen", one of the initial blends of jazz and raga in England. Very enjoyable. Further search led me to the jazz scene in Bombay in the 50s and Indo Jazz Suite, Joe Harriott (Jamaica) and John Mayer (Calcutta).
"Lead by an Indian and a Jamaican, including musicians from both countries, as well as from elsewhere in the West Indies, England and Scotland, the band was multi-racial and multi-national."

This little article helped shed some background info.

Hope you enjoy it too.

Another new London based Band, Maisha, first heard of them on Downbeat. Never knew there was a sub genre called spiritual jazz. You can hear shades of Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra and John Coltrane. I think they are cross pollinating and mixing so many different elements from spiritual jazz to Afrobeat to Electronic music and more. On one song, I was reminded of Trilok Gurtu.

Super stuff, Sushant! Thanks for sharing. Will certainly pick this album up.

Never thought Coltrane would make an album with a guitarist.Who else but Kenny Burrell.Just discovered it.

Just heard Snarky Puppy’s latest studio album ‘Immigrance’. Way more funky than the only other album of theirs I’ve heard: ‘We Like It Here’.

RIP Jimmy Cobb, 91 legendary drummer and only surviving member of the first Miles Davis quintet and a Member if the band which created that seminal album “ Kind of Blue”
Jimmy was active on the music scene performing till he got sick and hospitalised recently

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back