All That Jazz ...

Spiritual by John Coltrane originally from the song "Nobody knows the trouble I"ve seen". I cant even hear a faint melody of the original. A later version by Charles Brown is more recognizable in the same vein as John Coltrane"s.
Albert ayler"s take on it is very heartfelt too and very close to the original spiritual.

Spiritual by John Coltrane originally from the song "Nobody knows the trouble I"ve seen". I cant even hear a faint melody of the original. A later version by Charles Brown is more recognizable in the same vein as John Coltrane"s.
Albert ayler"s take on it is very heartfelt too and very close to the original spiritual.
Being a traditional spiritual, it has been sung in various styles. I found the Coltrane version quite close to the first half of the Mahalia Jackson version

Being a traditional spiritual, it has been sung in various styles. I found the Coltrane version quite close to the first half of the Mahalia Jackson version
@Fiftyfifty you are right. I went back to Coltrane"s version of it and you can hear him phrase on his Sax, the words, "Nobody Knows the trouble.." but like you said he uses a different take on it. It does not rely or use the exact and more catchy melody of the original. Mahalia Jacksons version also stays slightly away from the more catchier melody. Needless to add, both of them are great.

Thanks to @sameer kumar for this reference.

image.php

TIDAL: https://tidal.com/browse/album/82003555

Emerging new talent at The Village Vanguard - Micah Thomas. If the few audio samples from this article are anything to go by, we've really got something to look forward to.

09-00-41-1-768x512.jpeg

In the Vanguard of Trio Jazz with Micah Thomas | by Adam Shatz https://tinyurl.com/y7lhqydb

Micah Thomas is the son of a Chennai pastor

Last edited:
Emerging new talent at The Village Vanguard - Micah Thomas. If the few audio samples from this article are anything to go by, we've really got something to look forward to.

In the Vanguard of Trio Jazz with Micah Thomas | by Adam Shatz https://tinyurl.com/y7lhqydb

Thanks for sharing the article. Very interesting read.

View attachment 46173

Thanks for the great link, 50/50.
Brought back fond memories of times spent at the Vanguard.
Here‘s a murky pic from my phone as you descend the red stairwell to heaven.

24B49166-BEF4-4785-8E44-C788FB7DEA45.jpeg

Thanks for the great link, 50/50.
Brought back fond memories of times spent at the Vanguard.
Here‘s a murky pic from my phone as you descend the red stairwell to heaven.

View attachment 46292
Descend or stagger? ;)

We talk so much about speaker placement and room correction, but some of these venues like Vanguard and Bluenote in the Village are so cramped. Despite that, a Roy Hargrove or Joshua Redman blows open your mind. There's something about live music in small spaces!

Descend or stagger? ;)

LoL!
That’s not how the Vanguard works. It’s all below ground.
Here’s another crappy pic of the entrance. See that red door? That’s the only part of the club that you see from the street. In fact, I’m standing directly over the bandstand.
So, you descend the stairs, get transported to heaven and stumble out in a daze afterwards :)

36CC6B33-0AD5-4C4F-BB13-7ADB5DB37288.jpeg

LoL!
That’s not how the Vanguard works. It’s all below ground.
Here’s another crappy pic of the entrance. See that red door? That’s the only part of the club that you see from the street. In fact, I’m standing directly over the bandstand.
So, you descend the stairs, get transported to heaven and stumble out in a daze afterwards :)

View attachment 46298
Nice memories!
What I meant is that both Vanguard and Blue Note, a few blocks away, are relatively compact venues not the best acoustic design. Yet the music......

Nice memories!
What I meant is that both Vanguard and Blue Note, a few blocks away, are relatively compact venues not the best acoustic design. Yet the music......

Actually, I think it’s the Vanguard’s odd shape that gives it the most immersive sound ever: a triangle, with the apex behind the bandstand.
I feel larger clubs are great for larger ensembles: The Jazz Standard, for example, sounds superb with their resident Mingus Big Band.
Anyways, I better get back on topic before I get rapped on the knuckles by the mods :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back