All That Jazz ...

I’ve been a fan of Trilok Gurtu for quite a while now. Surprised that I somehow managed to miss this album from 2007. Gurtu with the Arke String Quartet from Italy. Special props to the bass player, too. Here’s a snippet:

Thanks for sharing this. Currently the new fav jazz album. Scintillating piano play.

R-3932317-1349760735-9922.jpeg.jpg

TIDAL: https://tidal.com/browse/album/100443423

All star Lineup and some great tunes. Julian Cannonball Adderley left being a band leader to join Miles Davis. The album Somethin Else was recorded in 1958 with Miles as a sideman on it (though he plays extensively on the record) and Cannonball would play on the album, Kind of Blue a year later.View attachment 46630

One of my favourite albums! Adderley was already part of Miles's band at that time but Miles didn't have a contract with Blue Note. Hence released as an Adderley album

One of my favourite albums! Adderley was already part of Miles's band at that time but Miles didn't have a contract with Blue Note. Hence released as an Adderley album

That's an interesting tidbit. Was wondering how Miles played as a sideman to Adderley

I knew Adderley had joined Miles"s band already but didnt know about the blue note conundrum. Miles was signed to Columbia at this time and had to seek permission from the label to play on this album. I read and hear the influence Miles had in the chosing of tracks and playing on this album. There has to be a friendship or a business angle to the bandleader playing as a sideman on this album. Nothing conclusive is available on the internet but some places do say that "contractual reasons" led the Black Prince to give the credits to Adderley for the album. So is this is an Adderley album with Miles playing on it or not??

Last edited:
I knew Adderley had joined Miles"s band already but didnt know about the blue note conundrum. Miles was signed to Columbia at this time and had to seek permission from the label to play on this album. I read and hear the influence Miles had in the chosing of tracks and playing on this album. There has to be a friendship or a business angle to the bandleader playing as a sideman on this album. Nothing conclusive is available on the internet but some places do say that "contractual reasons" led the Black Prince to give the credits to Adderley for the album. So is this is an Adderley album with Miles playing on it or not??
I guess one needs to understand who was more popular at that time. But the contractual reason seems a plausible one. Not my own, but from the net.

I guess one needs to understand who was more popular at that time. But the contractual reason seems a plausible one. Not my own, but from the net.
You are right and perhaps a definitive answer might be difficult. Here are some plausible and likely clues that I have noticed.

The Liner notes begin with " Back in New York, Cannonball who had signed a deal to record, asked me to play on the date, which I did as a favour. The record was called Somethin' Else and was very nice. Miles Davis included the above brief comment about this LP in his autobiography."

On the other side, the liner notes talk about Miles so much more than Adderley which is strange. Who knows, Miles being a bigger name promoting Adderley on the behest of the record label (a common occurrence)?

-The Liner notes to the LP say, "The Rhythm Section of Somethin Else had nothing to do with Miles' group".Whereas bassist Sam Jones on this album was in Adderleys group for 7 years.
The pianist Hank Jones only recorded with Miles only one other time besides this in 1947. whereas Hank Jones was on Adderleys debut album and also on other Adderley albums. Just hinting at who knew who, and to what degree and could be relevant.

The title track is Miles' creation but a track by younger brother Nat Adderley is on the album too. one thing is certain that you cannot deny Miles' enormous role in the album.

All these are conjectures and surmises. I just didnt want to detract attention from Adderley"s biggest outing though the truth might be Somethin' else.

Last edited:
You are right and perhaps a definitive answer might be difficult. Here are some plausible and likely clues that I have noticed.

The Liner notes begin with " Back in New York, Cannonball who had signed a deal to record, asked me to play on the date, which I did as a favour. The record was called Somethin' Else and was very nice. Miles Davis included the above brief comment about this LP in his autobiography."

On the other side, the liner notes talk about Miles so much more than Adderley which is strange. Who knows, Miles being a bigger name promoting Adderley on the behest of the record label (a common occurrence)?

-The Liner notes to the LP say, "The Rhythm Section of Somethin Else had nothing to do with Miles' group".Whereas bassist Sam Jones on this album was in Adderleys group for 7 years.
The pianist Hank Jones only recorded with Miles only one other time besides this in 1947. whereas Hank Jones was on Adderleys debut album and also on other Adderley albums. Just hinting at who knew who, and to what degree and could be relevant.

The title track is Miles' creation but a track by younger brother Nat Adderley is on the album too. one thing is certain that you cannot deny Miles' enormous role in the album.

All these are conjectures and surmises. I just didnt want to detract attention from Adderley"s biggest outing though the truth might be Somethin' else.

Very interesting and objective observations Sushant.

'which I did as a favour'!! How could such an arrogant a***hole have been so talented.

CEDDDB77-F981-4783-8AD2-CB75245715E0.jpeg
A set of live recordings made months before Stan Getz lost his battle with cancer. He knew he was losing the battle and the depth of emotion he pours into these recordings make it so poignant. A must listen for Getz fans - I'm deeply moved every time I spin this record.

Here’s a link I should have shared ages ago.
Scroll down the page and click on the links to get a wealth of info on artistes, collectible vinyls, cover art, hi-fi and more.

"For a white Viennese boy to write a tune that's that black is pretty remarkable," Hancock says. "He just captured the essence of the African-American heritage, just the statement of melody and feeling of that song. Clearly, in some past life, Joe must've been black."

Zawinul came to prominence playing with Julian Cannonball Adderley"s band worked with Miles on In a Silent Way and founded Weather Report.

Not directly, but kind of related - Stevie wonder wrote and sang Sir Duke as a homage to Duke Ellington, and mentions the jazz players and singers of the era. Real crafty song with a jazz arrangement..

Very interesting and objective observations Sushant.

'which I did as a favour'!! How could such an arrogant a***hole have been so talented.

I start listening to Somethin' Else again after reading you guys posts. The Liner notes from Tidal says that Cannonball Adderly gave up his own band to join Miles Davis in the epic records (Kind of Blue amongst others) and Miles returned the favour by coming as a sideman in Adderly's quartet. It then seems that statement he made in his autobiography was more a statement of fact than arrogance. Although I have never read up on these guys personal life as much you all seem to know.
Just noticed this in the liner notes so commented.

What an enjoyable performance from a highly talented tight band - nobody does too much or too little and the musicians clearly enjoying themselves as much as we did!
True and the veterans in their seventies seem to enjoy it as much as the younger lot.

Wayne Shorter's debut album as a leader. A stellar lineup with his Jazz Messengers band mate Lee Morgan, and the Miles quintet rhythm section of Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. Just superb listening. Paul Chambers is as tight and commanding as ever here, Lee Morgan stretches his legs out and has a ball - a must listen!

F7D18E5B-06D3-401F-9D03-E6FF9F108EC1.jpeg
5D7AAF16-37C5-49D9-AEF8-87F944D77EA0.jpeg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back