All That Jazz ...

It's Ray Brown and Milt jackson but Kenny Burrell"s fat guitar tone and Marion Williams on two songs, "Sometimes I feel like a motherless child". Beautiful bluesy gospel style singing and it seems the church came to the studio especially on "I"ve got to live the life I sing in my song" 20200720_100509.jpg

We insist ! Max Roach’s Freedom Now Suite.

Highly recommend all you to listen to this album. Recently listened to this vinyl at Lyrita Audio and it was divine. Some of the best and lively instrument playing (specially the drums) on it!! Rather I'd say every member sounds on top of their game on it. If you get this vinyl, just blind buy it.

Album: Mudfoot
Group: The Leaders
YouTube Link:
About the Group (courtesy Wikipedia):
The Leaders is a jazz supergroup formed in 1983. The initial lineup of the Leaders was put together in 1983 by saxophonist Chico Freeman and featured trumpeter Don Cherry, alto saxophonist Arthur Blythe, along with a rhythm section of pianist Don Pullen, bassist Cecil McBee, and drummer Famoudou Don Moye. In the second incarnation of the Leaders in 1984, pianist Don Pullen was replaced with Hilton Ruiz.

Hey long time but having a jazz afternoon and suddenly panicked that I didn’t share one of my favourite songs. Three soloists (Charlie Rouse, Thad Jones and Monk) backed by Sam Jones and Art Taylor. Each solo is a jewel with lyrical (Rouse), quirky (jones) and genius (Monk!). Here goes.

Jackie-Ing!!!

Been a while since I've spun some records - drowning in long work days.
Dusted off this gem from the cupboard. Turrentine is so confident and in top form on this set. I love the layered arrangements, there's so much going on but all so tight! I highly recommend a listen.

View attachment 48001
View attachment 48002
View attachment 48003

I know how you feel; I need a lifejacket, too! :)
Mr.T has always been a go-to guy for some simmering grooves. Try and get your hands on this one, as well. There’s an absolutely amazing version of Coltrane’s ‘Impressions’ in soul jazz mode.
688C9FAB-11BB-4812-8017-2A92A7D4493B.jpeg

I know how you feel; I need a lifejacket, too! :)
Mr.T has always been a go-to guy for some simmering grooves. Try and get your hands on this one, as well. There’s an absolutely amazing version of Coltrane’s ‘Impressions’ in soul jazz mode.
View attachment 48305
Yes I really like this album too! On my never-ending want list for records

Just read a good review in Downbeat and looking forward to checking it out.
Do post your impressions if you get your hands on it.

NYT Review: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/09/arts/music/redman-mehldau-mcbride-blade-roundagain-review.html
dbfQl_Nfyp9PWpZq9cy2yZr4R6rc1feTJhJSLDjb_gW8WSrL9QxAWvteB_MVzfSFTBa296yoscmINpAmtAkn46PVr0mvZulLymL6pGbD5wZCppfR8OmVEoJ-pUIV

I was fortunate to catch a set at the Blue Note 3 years ago.The band just walked onto the stage, performed and left. No announcements, no introductions, just impactful music. One of my Redman favorites is his album Walking Shadows, described as "These are some of the most nuanced, lyrical, and romantic recordings Redman has ever produced. "It's a beautifully played project, but perhaps a shade on the tasteful side for some jazzers."
Listen to this:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back