All That Jazz ...

R-5175489-1422763075-4575.jpeg.jpg

Yes please, Jayant!
With most ‘best of’ lists, we tend to select all the well established classics. I’d love to see lesser known favourites grab the spotlight for a change.
Rest assured, I’m scribbling down all the stuff I haven’t heard :)
Here's my current frequent spin list - no particular order to them :)

C747E131-72C5-40B6-9332-4B9E06960C28.jpeg
35D611EF-81AA-46CC-9722-E4EC3F18C159.jpeg
661C2751-3438-4688-9CE6-425A73A7758F.jpeg

Speaking of current day Indian jazz musicians, my friends Prabhakar, Rajiv and Ralph doing stuff during the lockdown.

Small world, 50/50!
Rajeev and I were together at Mudra, some 23 years ago :)
I vividly remember an impromptu party at my home, in ‘97 or ‘98. It was a Saturday night and people were just landing up at random. Rajeev arrived, flute in hand, and was immediately ordered to sing for his liquor! I put on Coltrane’s ‘My Favorite Things’ and he was off.
For the next ten minutes, Rajeev blew everyone’s minds with his virtuoso performance. But then, suddenly, he stopped with another three minutes of the song to go. We all yelled at him to continue, but he put his hands together and bowed to the speakers as Coltrane ripped the fabric of space and time. “I can’t keep up with that”, he said with a smile.
To this day, I believe he could definitely have managed :)

Nikhil’s post above got me thinking of a time when I wasn’t a big fan of trio albums. I felt quartets and quintets offered a richer sonic soundscape. Then I realized that the Jimi Hendrix Experience was only 3 guys, and no lack of pyrotechnics there! Since then, I’ve made it a point to seek out jazz trios that rock the house.

So, here’s my ‘Top 10 Trio Albums For People Who Don’t Like Trios’

B2E3AFED-CE66-4948-AC6E-DF1D72B1BEB0.jpeg
8A7BAF14-3B80-4E0E-80C3-56AFC2830664.jpeg
F9F165DC-00AD-431D-B27E-A7AD9194057B.jpeg

Nikhil’s post above got me thinking of a time when I wasn’t a big fan of trio albums. I felt quartets and quintets offered a richer sonic soundscape. Then I realized that the Jimi Hendrix Experience was only 3 guys, and no lack of pyrotechnics there! Since then, I’ve made it a point to seek out jazz trios that rock the house.

So, here’s my ‘Top 10 Trio Albums For People Who Don’t Like Trios’

View attachment 48860
View attachment 48861
View attachment 48862
Never knew of some of these!
Duke Ellington with Charlie Haden and Max Roach! Wow!
And the Ginger Baker here is the same as in Blind Faith and Cream? Wow again!
Will surely give these a listen.

I get a feeling that a trio is a preferred format by jazz pianists, e.g. Ahmad Jamal, Keith Jarret, Bill Evans. Maybe they believe that this format showcases their skills better!

Thanks for posting @coaltrain

Small world, 50/50!
Rajeev and I were together at Mudra, some 23 years ago :)
I vividly remember an impromptu party at my home, in ‘97 or ‘98. It was a Saturday night and people were just landing up at random. Rajeev arrived, flute in hand, and was immediately ordered to sing for his liquor! I put on Coltrane’s ‘My Favorite Things’ and he was off.
For the next ten minutes, Rajeev blew everyone’s minds with his virtuoso performance. But then, suddenly, he stopped with another three minutes of the song to go. We all yelled at him to continue, but he put his hands together and bowed to the speakers as Coltrane ripped the fabric of space and time. “I can’t keep up with that”, he said with a smile.
To this day, I believe he could definitely have managed :)
Small world indeed! Let me send your post to Rajeev without mentioning your real name (which of course I myself don't know) and see if he guesses who you are. :)

My all time favorite jazz album would be Ornette Coleman's The Shape of Jazz to come...theorising aside this is music of great beauty ..the standout Lonely Woman is sparse and sad like a delicate watercolor ...i also like Monk ..the staccato and geometric precision of his angular choppy piano...Coltrane spiritual and relentless..A Love Supreme rises like a true invocation rivalled only by Albert Ayler's Spiritual Unity album..Mingus is large and lumbering as if his physical size and larger than life living had to spill over into the sonic palette of his Black Saint and Sinner Lady...there are so many of them...remember watching a French movie with music by Miles...also Ellington as Pie Eye in the James Stewart classic Anatomy of Murder for which he composed the musical score too...
lastly the best jazz never feels dated ...Lennie Tristano was at the Confucius Restaurant what seems like aeons ago and yet his piano is as fresh contemporary and cerebral as they come..Charlie Parker's Savoy Sessions too was done years ago and yet songs like the playful Romance with Finance are a joy to listen...
The name of the French movie is Louis Malle's Elevator to the Gallows....The music was composed by an intoxicated Miles in the space of two nights.

Another film with a terrific jazz score is All Night Long - a modern adaptation of Othello , and features a superb line up of jazz musicians including Dave Brubeck and Charles Mingus.

By the way - this is one of the best threads I've seen on this forum - don't know why I missed it for so long.Thanks to Nikhil for initiating it.

Thanks! I've been searching for a copy of Donaldson's Blues Walk for years and I bet you have it :)
Unfortunately no, Jayant :)
Both AB and BW are really hard to find. Very surprising, considering that both albums are really popular amongst Donaldson fans and would sell well if reissued.

Back