All That Jazz ...

I've just got my hands on pure Gold.
All three marathon Prestige sessions recorded by the Miles quintet, in the original order they were recorded...in one box set! Straight to the top of my spin list. Miles, Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin' in the track order they should have been released with.

8D6B71A7-2FAB-495A-BD2A-2C02F0F0B92F.jpeg
4D1AE017-5904-4649-AC17-301C98F96D7A.jpeg
A6A83B3F-A6A6-4EF7-BA08-6C40382AC471.jpeg

Nikhil’s post above got me thinking of a time when I wasn’t a big fan of trio albums. I felt quartets and quintets offered a richer sonic soundscape. Then I realized that the Jimi Hendrix Experience was only 3 guys, and no lack of pyrotechnics there! Since then, I’ve made it a point to seek out jazz trios that rock the house.

So, here’s my ‘Top 10 Trio Albums For People Who Don’t Like Trios’

That's interesting. I never really made that distinction between Trios and Quartets/Quintets.
But thanks to a discussion Piano Trios on another forum I've picked up on a lot of Trios in the recent past.

I've just got my hands on pure Gold.
All three marathon Prestige sessions recorded by the Miles quintet, in the original order they were recorded...in one box set! Straight to the top of my spin list. Miles, Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin' in the track order they should have been released with.

Congrats Jayant! That looks like a great box set!
Coincidentally I had recently listened to"Cookin" and "Relaxin" ... great stuff.

Congrats Jayant! That looks like a great box set!
Coincidentally I had recently listened to"Cookin" and "Relaxin" ... great stuff.

Thanks Nikhil! Having heard the original albums as Prestige had curated the songs in their own jumbled order, I wanted this set to hear the original marathon sessions the way they were recorded. No doubt great stuff :)

Going off topic for a second, but this came to mind after seeing Jayant’s latest treasure. It’s a gift that I received from a friend earlier this year:
52A12B39-D41E-4FE4-B1FC-F14C3228AA3E.jpeg

Someone did a mashup of these two images below, and turned it into a painting.
DC23623E-3442-4F73-9223-C3BC076F9E46.jpeg
031FA1AF-790A-4621-B2D2-601613577320.jpeg

I‘ve been visualizing the scene as Miles and Trane taking a taxi home at 4 am, having just finished recording Kind of Blue. But, perhaps, it was a Prestige session? :)

Going off topic for a second, but this came to mind after seeing Jayant’s latest treasure. It’s a gift that I received from a friend earlier this year:
View attachment 49021

Someone did a mashup of these two images below, and turned it into a painting.
View attachment 49022
View attachment 49023

I‘ve been visualizing the scene as Miles and Trane taking a taxi home at 4 am, having just finished recording Kind of Blue. But, perhaps, it was a Prestige session? :)
That picture speaks a thousand blue notes - just love it !

You wont believe it..but i was suspecting this all along. Not the bit about the opioids - though that’s interesting too - but the one about the feathered songsters belting out free jazz in the mornings.

Hey @moktan
Talking of opioids, your avatar pic on mobile (small screen) looks very much like a "bud"
I had to get onto the laptop to check if my eyes were playing tricks on me :D

Cheers,
Raghu

You wont believe it..but i was suspecting this all along. Not the bit about the opioids - though that’s interesting too - but the one about the feathered songsters belting out free jazz in the mornings.
The next time someone mentions Bird and Diz...

Thanks to Bloom83 mentioning jazz soundtracks recently, this weekend‘s listening session had a new Top 10 theme :)

5E3EAFB4-6CDE-440F-BD5F-C242B8436803.jpeg
7481E00C-90D0-49A5-98A5-B41F80EBE13E.jpeg
D9515A59-4EDF-4148-98D3-89A4C402B2FF.jpeg

Wish I had ‘Breathless’ to add to the list. Just love that soundtrack.
Also, this is a good compilation cd I’ve posted before. It’s still available on the MoMA website:
5C4B25D5-910B-4514-8F90-A7C31207841E.jpeg

Today I’ve got a new double LP of Errol Garner’s Concert by the Sea.
Anybody else having this LP - It’s Sony DADC reissue.
Reason I’m asking is I want to check something regarding the sound quality.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back