All That Jazz ...

R-5343722-1461444839-9028.jpeg.jpg

Prolific yet underrated , sometimes called a Bird clone , the warm sound of the Sony Stitt saxophone is the quintessential jazz sound for me. Tune Up and Constellation are some of his stellar albums.

Excellent write-up on sax great Rudresh Mahanthappa.

Personally i would love to hear modern jazz artists too on this thread.
Very valid point. This has been such a humungous thread that it’s not easy to keep track. But there have been some discussions and recommendations on modern jazz ( Vijay Iyer , Rudresh Manthappa, Slippenbach Trio, Anthony Braxton, Joshua Redman etc have been mentioned now and then). But yes they have not been very frequent for various reasons.
I think except for a very few, most of us are tyros in this genre. I for example began seriously listening jazz only about fifteen years ago - the trajectory being rock , blues and then jazz. Also Jazz has such a huge back catalogue that one could spend ones entire life listening to just the music from the bebop or say the hard bop era.
And then, even now lost albums of cats from the past keep popping up. Both Directions At Once ( John Coltrane ) being one such example. They sound as fresh and vital as ever and discovering new acts may not even be necessary, so to speak.
Lastly even modern albums will to a significant proportion have re-workings , reinterpretations and even reimaginings of the standards and the classics. It’s a circular irony of jazz that the more modern it gets more purist the approach can become.

Very insightful observations, Moktan, and true for a lot of us.

@jls001
In addition to Moktan’s recommendations, you may also want to check out:
Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield, Snarky Puppy, est, The Bad Plus, Christian Scott, Christian McBride, Esperanza Spalding, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Gregory Porter, Charlie Hunter, Maisha, Marcus Miller, Joshua Redman, to name a few.
Not all of them are youngsters, but the music is fresh and modern.

@jls001
In addition to Moktan’s recommendations, you may also want to check out:
Medeski, Martin & Wood, John Scofield, Snarky Puppy, est, The Bad Plus, Christian Scott, Christian McBride, Esperanza Spalding, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Gregory Porter, Charlie Hunter, Maisha, Marcus Miller, Joshua Redman, to name a few.
Not all of them are youngsters, but the music is fresh and modern.

@coaltrain I do listen to some of the artists you mentioned. I was suggesting that we should have more of them on this thread. Snarky Puppy is one great big band with a revolving line up. Some of the alumni have made it very big on their own (like Cory Henry and Shaun Martin). Esperanza Spalding is an assault on the senses (in the nicest way - she zapped my brain when I first heard her), McLorin Salvant has an uncommon coquettishness and child-like qualities ("I Didn't Know What Time It Was"). I don't know how to classify the very prolific Jacob Collier - he's a force of nature and a genre in himself.

PS: I don't consider Gregory Porter all that jazzy :)

PS2: recent discoveries for me have been Go Go Penguin and Tom Misch.

Ordered this from Amazon. Wanted to get the Getz/Gilberto 50th anniversary edition, but this has a couple of tracks i dont have in my other Bossa nova album. Any similar sounding albums, recommendations please.
1600349351210.png

Ordered this from Amazon. Wanted to get the Getz/Gilberto 50th anniversary edition, but this has a couple of tracks i dont have in my other Bossa nova album. Any similar sounding albums, recommendations please.
View attachment 49685
I am wondering if deliveries are timely as there is not much air traffic these days...hope you get it on time.

There are a few CD's on my shopping cart Amazon uk but I hesitate to buy due to my perception of shipping delays

I am wondering if deliveries are timely as there is not much air traffic these days...hope you get it on time.

There are a few CD's on my shopping cart Amazon uk but I hesitate to buy due to my perception of shipping delays
Hi, I order from Amazon.in for cds which are similarly priced and they ship within 2-3 days max. For rare CDs i find musicstack.com to be reliable and many sellers ship from UK to india and i opt for 1st class signed for Royal Mail with tracking and it takes max 3-4 weeks even during this covid period.

@coaltrain I do listen to some of the artists you mentioned. I was suggesting that we should have more of them on this thread. Snarky Puppy is one great big band with a revolving line up. Some of the alumni have made it very big on their own (like Cory Henry and Shaun Martin). Esperanza Spalding is an assault on the senses (in the nicest way - she zapped my brain when I first heard her), McLorin Salvant has an uncommon coquettishness and child-like qualities ("I Didn't Know What Time It Was"). I don't know how to classify the very prolific Jacob Collier - he's a force of nature and a genre in himself.

PS: I don't consider Gregory Porter all that jazzy :)

PS2: recent discoveries for me have been Go Go Penguin and Tom Misch.

If you like Snarky Puppy and Gogo Penguin, you should definitely check out MMW and est (Esbjorn Svensson Trio)
Svennson died in 2008, tragically only 44, but the band had already released quite a few excellent albums. Meanwhile, MMW always knocks me out with their deep grooves, with or without John Scofield. Both groups are trios, but they sound like sextets.
Btw, I agree with you on Porter. I’m also not into Salvant, but these two seem to be the vocal stars of today. Not that they don’t have great voices, but I’m still living in the age of Ella and Billie :)

If you like Snarky Puppy and Gogo Penguin, you should definitely check out MMW and est (Esbjorn Svensson Trio)
Svennson died in 2008, tragically only 44, but the band had already released quite a few excellent albums. Meanwhile, MMW always knocks me out with their deep grooves, with or without John Scofield. Both groups are trios, but they sound like sextets.
Btw, I agree with you on Porter. I’m also not into Salvant, but these two seem to be the vocal stars of today. Not that they don’t have great voices, but I’m still living in the age of Ella and Billie :)
Do give a try to Mammal Hands also....

Sonically reminiscent of Hancock’s five star Empyrean Isle —one hears Night in Tunisia, Gillespie and Miles et al in it too —Matthew Halsall’s On The Go is richly redolent of influences of the greats. Halsall‘s trumpet is warm , sometimes soporific and at times riffy and nimble. I like this jazz , though folks with a more experimental outlook may want to listen to something else.

Hi, I order from Amazon.in for cds which are similarly priced and they ship within 2-3 days max. For rare CDs i find musicstack.com to be reliable and many sellers ship from UK to india and i opt for 1st class signed for Royal Mail with tracking and it takes max 3-4 weeks even during this covid period.

@cooltoad

your system looks very good in your signature - can you put up a pic of it in the other thread where they show pics of setups.... it will be nice to see and also for other members maybe...

( at your convenience and willingness )

@cooltoad

your system looks very good in your signature - can you put up a pic of it in the other thread where they show pics of setups.... it will be nice to see and also for other members maybe...

( at your convenience and willingness )
Hi, very modest setup compared to most people's in this thread. Getting a soekris dac shortly, will post after that. Thanks.

Do give a try to Mammal Hands also....

Great recommendation, Kartick!
Apple music has 4 of their albums and I have listened to snippets of each. They definitely sound like close relatives of est, albeit with an unusual trio of instruments. Will definitely get one of their albums to begin with.
Incidentally, this is the second British jazz group I’ve liked in the last month. The first was Maisha, thanks to a recommendation from Sushant.
Thanks for sharing :)

Ella and Billie fan here. And where Billie is , can Lester be far behind ?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back