All That Jazz ...

I have been listening to this tune for a few days. Funky, Groovy, Gritty, upbeat and what not. Had heard only Roberta Flack"s version of it before.
Thanks for this, Sushant! First time I’ve seen this.
This is the opening track on the ‘Swiss Movement’ album I posted above. The rest of the tracks are in the same groove, minus vocals.

Multiple horns like shiny oversized gold jewellery slung from his neck, flutes and whistles attached to his back and banging gongs simultaneously while playing other instruments, the man sure is a trip to watch
I must admit this is what has kept me away from him! To be fair, let me shake off this bias and listen to Rip, Rig and Panic + Inflated Tear this weekend.

And later in the night 'Make it one for my baby, and one just for the road...'

I must admit this is what has kept me away from him! To be fair, let me shake off this bias and listen to Rip, Rig and Panic + Inflated Tear this weekend.

And later in the night 'Make it one for my baby, and one just for the road...'
Bring out the rum and go for it today! It is most rewarding. Inflated tear, now don’t you cry (what a lovely title) and rip rag and panic in terms of ease of listening. Yes he can be regarded a freak but the music is telling.

So my next three brought me “hajaar” satisfaction as we used to say in college. Also I am wondering if I am more in a modern sound mood. And to prove my sincerity, the last CD was at the bottom and I actually bent down

1. Lee Konitz - Motion. It was this or the one with Warne Marsh, but decided to go with this. Takes the standards and spins them around. Elvin Jones on drums and Dallas on bass are also great.

one criticism for the album is sameness of approach. I don’t mind it at all. Helps me trip out. Is it cool jazz? Is it modern jazz? It’s just great stuff

2. Johnny Griffin Sextet- I think this was a Micheal Connelly’s Bosch inspired purchase. A really solid set with Pepper Adams, Donald Byrd, Kenny Drew, Philly Jones. Solid ensemble sound with 3 winds (I love baritone Sax) but lots of stretched out solos.

3. Sun Ra - Jazz in silhouette. Out of the world. Saturn actually (Sun Ra’s home planet). I have a plain CD and not the one with the sci-fi cover - lucky LP owners.

How can you not like an album that begins with a gong? Shifts between many mainstream sounds to chants. What more can one ask. Large ensemble with lots of solos. Lots of melodies.

Listening to this one as I type

I heard of Rahsaan Roland Kirk from reading Vivek"s earlier posts. Multiple horns like shiny oversized gold jewellery slung from his neck, flutes and whistles attached to his back and banging gongs simultaneously while playing other instruments, the man sure is a trip to watch. I am yet to hear his music a little more extensively.

I have been listening to this tune for a few days. Funky, Groovy, Gritty, upbeat and what not. Had heard only Roberta Flack"s version of it before.
Thoroughly enjoyed this version of Compared to What, Sushant. Sorry for the late response - the recommendations come in so quick but it takes time to listen :)

Here's an All Jarreau version of the song that you might like

This guy, and Bobby McFerrin can reproduce any note that ever came out of a musical instrument, be it horns, keyboards or percussion! And Rachelle Ferrell. Here she is singing note for note with Wynton Marsalis:

Thanks for this, Sushant! First time I’ve seen this.
This is the opening track on the ‘Swiss Movement’ album I posted above. The rest of the tracks are in the same groove, minus vocals.
I missed that, Coaltrain. thanks for drawing my attention and I just sampled the entire album now. It is quite something. I was somehow just hearing that one tune over and over. This is something that will be in my playlist for a while.

Thoroughly enjoyed this version of Compared to What, Sushant. Sorry for the late response - the recommendations come in so quick but it takes time to listen :)

Here's an All Jarreau version of the song that you might like

This guy, and Bobby McFerrin can reproduce any note that ever came out of a musical instrument, be it horns, keyboards or percussion! And Rachelle Ferrell. Here she is singing note for note with Wynton Marsalis:
Thanks Kishore. that was enjoyable. The percentage of vocal jazz in my already small jazz collection is abysmally low. I have been enjoying that Johnny Hartman album though. thanks for the music.

Hey Josh not fair. Jimmy Guiffre 3 was part of my go to list for next round. Perhaps I will go for his more difficult albums. Free fall or 1961 perhaps.

ok so three for yesterday today are these:

1. Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor vol 1. Another classic with Henderson along with Ron Carter and Foster recorded at the village vanguard. Terrific sound as Henderson shows what can be done with a tenor sax. Beatrice and Friday the 13th (a Monk composition) are stand out. On Blue Note, Mr Coal train

2. Joe Temperley - Double Duke. I picked this up as I had to bend anyway to put back Sun Ra - got to hear of him sadly in an obit a few years ago. Then listened on Apple Music and had to get the CD. He plays among others baritone sax and bass clarinet and was associated with Thad Jones- Mel Lewis and Duke Ellington

This CD has a lot of great Ellington standards. Rain Check. Creole Love Call (always loved it. Slinky and sexy). Black and Tan fantasy. Accompanied by a trombonist too - so lots of audio kicks. A very smooth easy to listen album, but not dumbed down. To me more satisfying by a huge margin compared to the less knowPat Martino album I mentioned earlier.

looking at the back side of the cd I noticed it was recorded on October 3, 1998. So i got to hear it on its birthday!!

3. Ornette Coleman - change of the century. Those who started with Shape Of Jazz and given up must give this a whirl. It has more elements of melody and not so jagged. It went so fast! Check out Ramblin for example.

D258BA60-8631-4339-A4EF-C1CBB214E0F1.png
good old fashioned bop ...
Oscar Peterson - Piano , Herbie Ellis - Guitar , Buddy Rich( Louis Bellson) - Drums , Ray Brown- Drums

Now for the next 3 that I listened to.

1. Jimmy Guiffre - Fusion. Since Josh had posted the easier album I went for the more difficult avant garde one. Another of his drummerless trios with Paul Bley and Steve Swallow.

unlike an Ornette Coleman album, this is so much easier- less angular and more trippy. Not so straightforward as Jimmy Guiffre 3 - so be careful when you choose his other albums based on what you heard. I find the even more famous free fall even more difficult. This made my mind wander pleasantly!

2. James Newton - African Flower. So underrated! It’s all of Ellington-Strayhorn and wonderfully arranged by this flautist. The LP is of audiophile quality. A very very moody Strange Feeling. So many instruments too. Also features Olu Dara. And why do I single him? He is the father of that “itihaasic Nas bhai” (from those who have seen Gully Boy)

3. Oliver Nelson Blues and the Abstract Truth - you will know a jazz lover if he has it or has heard it well. Hubbard, Dolphy, Bill Evans, Paul Chambers. Another superbly arranged album and a must own for serious aficionados.

On a Jimmy Giuffre trip! Listening to this right now ...

R-3267921-1515360164-5069.jpeg.jpg

Ever seen a line up like this?
  • Miles Davis – trumpet.
  • Wayne Shorter – soprano saxophone.
  • John McLaughlin – guitar.
  • Chick Corea – electric piano.
  • Herbie Hancock – electric piano.
  • Joe Zawinul – electric piano, organ.
  • Dave Holland – bass.
  • Tony Williams – drums.
They are all there, at their peak, in a Silent Way. Shhhh!

1. Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss. Talk about honking blowing yelps and whoops. Just love the soul standards here. He would be among my top artist to see live. (Can someone not get Ahmad Jamal or Yazz Ahmed or Mehldau to India please). Very underrated artist.

RRK was really underrated during his lifetime and was known for his lively banter and theatrics in his live shows. I was fortunate to attend several iterations of the annual Rahsaanathon, a tribute concert at Cafe Stritch (incidentally named after RRK sax 'Stritch'), a jazz club at San Jose. It's a 3-day celebration of his music usually headlined by trombonist Steve Turre and his All Stars band. Music was always phenomenal and exciting. Sometimes there was a showing of the documentary of his life and music 'The Case of Three Sided Dream'. An interesting person who's talent probably was overlooked due to his eccentricities and black activism.

Man, do I miss live music!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back