All That Jazz ...

So here is 3 and a move to B. I have moved past the CDs of Chet Baker (I love his “sings cd”) and Art Blakey which are well covered in the forum

Laurindo Almeida and Bud Shank- Brazilliance Vol 2 is a supplement to the usual Stan Getz-Jobim classic. There are some amazing melodies and a very easy listen. A good jump from Cuba to the gentler Samba and Bossa
Nova. This has a fair amount of jazz standards and a good stretch for Bud Shank. Vol 1 is more bossa nova

Ran Blake - the short life of Barbara Monk is a little jewel. A couple of standards and a song dedicated to Monk’s daughter. A very modern feel to it. I love their “I’ve got you under my skin” but could not find the link.

Best of Booker T and the MGs - is it jazz? It’s in my jazz section so must be jazz (think of me as Robert Niro in Taxi Driver talking into a mirror).

Such an enjoyable listen. Soul limbo brought me back the Doordarshan breaks in cricket matches of yore. (Also reminded me of “ek titali anek titaliyan” during the rain breaks)

And some fun history

Wow! Thanks for posting that great interview, Vivek :)
Booker T & The MGs is not jazz, it’s classic soul. They were the house band for Stax and can be heard on countless soul records. They also happen to be one of my favourite groups of all time. I first heard them at age 10, when my mom got one of their albums at a record sale in the Prince Of Wales museum in b’bay! Here it is:

DFE4549B-DA80-4A68-9934-676B93081733.jpeg
94D5155D-6C1C-49DC-AC0B-8B6F5D1134A8.jpeg

Booker T & The MGs is not jazz, it’s classic soul. They were the house band for Stax and can be heard on countless soul records. They also happen to be one of my favourite groups of all time. I first heard them at age 10, when my mom got one of their albums at a record sale in the Prince Of Wales museum in b’bay! Here it is:

View attachment 50702
View attachment 50703
The uncut 8 minute version of Melting pot does it for me every single time. The quintessence of Booker T and the MGs for me

Last night, I was listening to ECM Jazz playlists on Tidal. ECM has a fantastic collection of artists - Pat Metheny, John Abercrombie, Jan Garbarek, Ralph Towner, Keith Jarrett, Steve Kuhn, Tigran Hamasyan, Gary Peacock, Jack DeJohnette, Terje Rypdal, Bill Frisell, Dave Holland, Vijay Iyer and many more. These playlists are hours of listening pleasure! ECM recordings are also excellent with great dynamic range.

View attachment 50702
View attachment 50703
Ok I guessed it want jazz but I only have a closed cupboard for jazz and classical CDs. So kindly adjust

Coaltrain your mum was hip!

Now for a couple of albums that I didn’t get into at all and one glorious piece of music

Carla Bley - The lost chords find Paolo Fresu: The album just does not swing for me. That is the main complaint I have. Creates moods textures and still just leaves me hanging. I must admit that I am also not a big fan of the ECM type European jazz though I am a western classical listener. Perhaps you may like it:

British Modern Jazz - Singles EP tracks and rarities 1960-62: There were moments but the biggest thing I did was google and read about Dudley Moore’s fascinating life.

Bridges of Madison County - soundtrack : i have posted this earlier but one to get lost in. Johnny Hartman. What a voice what a singer

Sadly we have lost Lyle Mays this year. He was a brilliant pianist ,keyboardist and composer in Pat Metheny's band and has won 11 Grammy's with him. He was the perfect foil to Pat, adding those intricate harmonic and tonal colors to the more straight ahead Metheny.This song is an example of his skills.

Thanks to Vivek, switched tracks to the soul train last night
First some Booker T, and then to Gov’t Mule. They’re a spin-off from the Allman Bros Band, and this particular live album is an eclectic mashup of rock, blues, funk and jazz: the last in the form of John Scofield. Fans of Sco’s funky guitar playing are sure to like this.

788CEE94-A2EE-4F3E-8DD9-6AA76BE37E9E.jpeg
737DD03F-6BB3-4022-8435-2DA71542AF3B.jpeg

I am still on my ECM trip. Listening to Jan Garbarek albums back-to-back..What a journey from his Rites, Afric Pepperbird days to the recent In Praise of Dreams and Officium Novum albums.

In Praise of Dreams is at once reminiscent of John Coltrane sonic explorations, Ravi Shankar's modal music, Celtic folk, Edvard Greig and Bismillah Khan.

images.jpeg

Nightlights.png
I had mentioned this amazing website earlier where you can access David Brent Johnson's weekly show 'Nightlights' featuring music and insights into a jazz artiste's career. The site also includes archives of past programs. The latest one features the absolutely fabulous work of Yousef Lateef. The commentary is insightful and the music fantastic.

Now for the next 3.

Ray Brown - Soular Energy is a lovely album for an audiophile and a jazz lover. Swinging easy standards in a trio format featuring pianist Gene Harris and some heavy playing on sax and guitar it is an easy album to love. And it’s not all about the bass, and the bass is great !

Ruby Braff and Ellis Harkins - calling Berlin Vol 1 is all about melodies. Also features a corneGentle ans easy featuring Irving Berlin tunes. With Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar on a couple of songs. Lovely album for a late evening wind down

Tina Brooks - True Blue featuring Hubbard on trumpet and Duke Jordan on piano is a shift away and is a fun blowing hard bop work out with extended solos. Mine is a CD pressing from Blue Note Japan, and so I imagine it sounds far better! Some just don’t get famous even if talented and don’t know why. You would have probably had him as a sideman on your favourite bop album on blue note

Now for the next 3.

Ray Brown - Soular Energy is a lovely album for an audiophile and a jazz lover. Swinging easy standards in a trio format featuring pianist Gene Harris and some heavy playing on sax and guitar it is an easy album to love. And it’s not all about the bass, and the bass is great !

Ruby Braff and Ellis Harkins - calling Berlin Vol 1 is all about melodies. Also features a corneGentle ans easy featuring Irving Berlin tunes. With Bucky Pizzarelli on guitar on a couple of songs. Lovely album for a late evening wind down

Tina Brooks - True Blue featuring Hubbard on trumpet and Duke Jordan on piano is a shift away and is a fun blowing hard bop work out with extended solos. Mine is a CD pressing from Blue Note Japan, and so I imagine it sounds far better! Some just don’t get famous even if talented and don’t know why. You would have probably had him as a sideman on your favourite bop album on blue note

To me, Tina Brooks is no sideman.

Here's an song analysis of one of my favourite Miles Davis songs Oleo, which was originally composed by Sonny Rollins, by one of my favourite YouTubers Rick Beato. Rick's understanding of music and joyous appreciation for the incredible playing of this song makes this video even more enjoyable! Enjoy!

@ Vivek
True Blue is the best of the five albums Tina Brooks did as a leader for Blue Note, and one of my favourites. Still trying to get my hands on the one I don’t have: Street Singer, with Jackie McLean.
You may also like a Freddie Hubbard album called Open Sesame, which features Brooks.
@ Shyam
I, too, really enjoy Beato’s breakdown videos. His enthusiasm and love for the music is infectious (in a good way!)

@ Vivek
True Blue is the best of the five albums Tina Brooks did as a leader for Blue Note, and one of my favourites. Still trying to get my hands on the one I don’t have: Street Singer, with Jackie McLean.
You may also like a Freddie Hubbard album called Open Sesame, which features Brooks.
@ Shyam
I, too, really enjoy Beato’s breakdown videos. His enthusiasm and love for the music is infectious (in a good way!)
Hey I think I posted open sesame before. Yes love it.

Gary Burton - A Genuine Tong Funeral was one I got stuck with this week. I tried to get into it a few times but failed. There were moments of beauty and has a variety of instruments including bass trombone and tuba, but there were also bits of noisy playing that I didn’t make any sense of - including once when I embarrassedly turned off when the maid walked in for dusting! What do you think?

Charlie Byrd - Bossa Nova Pelos Passaros- is in many ways a pleasant album without much stretching by the guitarist who worked with Stan Getz in the samba albums. It’s an album you listen with house guests and wine (and an important reference, see next) - pretty but not demanding.

Kenny Burrell - A night at the village vanguard on the other hand is the album where I ask the family to move out and have an evening with you guys. Wine pfft. Get the booze and let’s stretch out. What an album by the guitarist. Melodies, swinging, solos. Just perfect - this song made me happy!!

I am still on my ECM trip. Listening to Jan Garbarek albums back-to-back..

Since you're on a Garbarek trip, please sample his work on Keith Jarrett's My Song album. No track on this album is dull. Jarrett-Garbarek is as deadly a combo as they ever come. Not as experimental as his works on Novum, etc but lots of soaring melodies interspersed with jarring atonal riffs. I love his work on Zakir Hussain's Making Music, too.

Since you're on a Garbarek trip, please sample his work on Keith Jarrett's My Song album. No track on this album is dull. Jarrett-Garbarek is as deadly a combo as they ever come. Not as experimental as his works on Novum, etc but lots of soaring melodies interspersed with jarring atonal riffs. I love his work on Zakir Hussain's Making Music, too.
Fully agree Joshua. Keith Jarret is one of my favorites too and the combination is indeed deadly. I'm not a big fan of trios, Jarret's usual format, hence prefer albums like My Song :) where more than one musician gets an opportunity to demonstrate his artistry.
Jan is superb on Making Music too, and also on L. Shankar's Song for Everyone with Zakir and Trilok Gurtu. Haven't heard the last one in ages - will pull it out right away :)

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back