• Miles Davis – trumpet.
  • Wayne Shorter – soprano saxophone.
  • John McLaughlin – guitar.
  • Chick Corea – electric piano.
  • Herbie Hancock – electric piano.
  • Joe Zawinul – electric piano, organ.
  • Dave Holland – bass.
  • Tony Williams – drums.
They are all there, at their peak, in a Silent Way. Shhhh!
Miles Davis was probably the only leader who had enough pull to bring in artists like these in his quartets, quintets, sextets, septets, octets and nonets! His compositions worked well in big-band arrangements as well as intimate, stripped-down versions.

Miles Davis was probably the only leader who had enough pull to bring in artists like these in his quartets, quintets, sextets, septets, octets and nonets! His compositions worked well in big-band arrangements as well as intimate, stripped-down versions.
Fully agree!

RRK was really underrated during his lifetime and was known for his lively banter and theatrics in his live shows. I was fortunate to attend several iterations of the annual Rahsaanathon, a tribute concert at Cafe Stritch (incidentally named after RRK sax 'Stritch'), a jazz club at San Jose. It's a 3-day celebration of his music usually headlined by trombonist Steve Turre and his All Stars band. Music was always phenomenal and exciting. Sometimes there was a showing of the documentary of his life and music 'The Case of Three Sided Dream'. An interesting person who's talent probably was overlooked due to his eccentricities and black activism.

Man, do I miss live music!
Wow! That must have been some show :)
I think I have a Dizzy album where Steve Turre plays a seashell. Amazing sound.

Wow! That must have been some show :)
I think I have a Dizzy album where Steve Turre plays a seashell. Amazing sound.
Yes, apparently it was RRK who taught Steve Turre how to play shells. I remember he played on his shells even in the Rahsaanathon shows.

Ever seen a line up like this?
  • Miles Davis – trumpet.
  • Wayne Shorter – soprano saxophone.
  • John McLaughlin – guitar.
  • Chick Corea – electric piano.
  • Herbie Hancock – electric piano.
  • Joe Zawinul – electric piano, organ.
  • Dave Holland – bass.
  • Tony Williams – drums.
They are all there, at their peak, in a Silent Way. Shhhh!
Replace Tony Williams with 3 drummers: Jack Dejonette, Billy Cobham and Lenny White and you have Bitches Brew.

My favourite electric Miles album!
Managed to snag a secondhand copy of the 5 disc box set. There’s a 10 minute version of Honky Tonk on it that has the bluesiest McLaughlin I’ve ever heard.

View attachment 50530
View attachment 50531

I am Jack Johnson
Heavy-weight Champion of the World !!

I am Black..
They never let me forget..

I am Black alright...
I never let THEM forget...

Last edited:
I decided to go row by row on my cupboard (sorry) and perhaps pick up non mainstream as long as this enthusiasm lasts

Nat Adderly - Work Song was the first one (ditched his brother Cannonball). Whew lyrical and funky melodies. With Wes Montgomery’s guitar work. Here is the title song. Hey the whole album. It is such an brilliant listen

Mose Allison - The Word according to: heavens not seen this in a long time. It must be a separate genre - country blues jazz! Works in bits for me. But here’s a song that all you Mayall fans may know. Kind of.

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse is one of the few new artist favourites and big time. Mostly I am stuck in the 50s and 60s. What would I give to see her. This is just great jazz. And fusion too - by absorption of different cultures. The best Kind ( see below also MiA’s Bird flu for similar fusion - dappanguthu heaven). Yazz is Bahraini British. It’s on Naim all ye Flat Earthers!

Let’s petition the NCPA to get her to India. Cultural exchange, woman artist. And get Moktan and Sushant from the mountains, Orko Coaltrain Jayant and Old Monk from the plains and Nikhil and Sidvee from Telangana. My new bestie Shyam V who likes RRK and Himadri. And Josh from the east so far the sun rises in a different time zone. Fifty fifty should get the hooch for cheap from Goa. These and more who inhabit this group! What fun would that be.

Fusion and off topic. On the one below if you are Tamilian and your butt does not move your pulse must be gone

And get Moktan and Sushant from the mountains, Orko Coaltrain Jayant and Old Monk from the plains and Nikhil and Sidvee from Telangana. My new bestie Shyam V who likes RRK and Himadri. And Josh from the east so far the sun rises in a different time zone. Fifty fifty should get the hooch for cheap from Goa. These and more who inhabit this group! What fun would that be.
Hey I'd show up just to meet all the knowledgeable folk on this forum - no cultural exchange needed!

On the MIA video, I'm Tamilian and was cringing - I'm either too square or too old!

I decided to go row by row on my cupboard (sorry) and perhaps pick up non mainstream as long as this enthusiasm lasts

Nat Adderly - Work Song was the first one (ditched his brother Cannonball). Whew lyrical and funky melodies. With Wes Montgomery’s guitar work. Here is the title song. Hey the whole album. It is such an brilliant listen

Mose Allison - The Word according to: heavens not seen this in a long time. It must be a separate genre - country blues jazz! Works in bits for me. But here’s a song that all you Mayall fans may know. Kind of.

Yazz Ahmed - La Saboteuse is one of the few new artist favourites and big time. Mostly I am stuck in the 50s and 60s. What would I give to see her. This is just great jazz. And fusion too - by absorption of different cultures. The best Kind ( see below also MiA’s Bird flu for similar fusion - dappanguthu heaven). Yazz is Bahraini British. It’s on Naim all ye Flat Earthers!

Let’s petition the NCPA to get her to India. Cultural exchange, woman artist. And get Moktan and Sushant from the mountains, Orko Coaltrain Jayant and Old Monk from the plains and Nikhil and Sidvee from Telangana. My new bestie Shyam V who likes RRK and Himadri. And Josh from the east so far the sun rises in a different time zone. Fifty fifty should get the hooch for cheap from Goa. These and more who inhabit this group! What fun would that be.

Fusion and off topic. On the one below if you are Tamilian and your butt does not move your pulse must be gone

Vivek, very different mix of choices this time and I loved all of them. thank you. I am not a Tamilian, Srilankan or otherwise and loved the MIA tune aswell.

How great it will be to put a face to all these familiar names on the thread. perhaps, someday.

How great it will be to put a face to all these familiar names on the thread. perhaps, someday.

Yeah..this is an amazing thread dedicated to jazz...

Sometimes is scary because there is so much good music out there...its like swimming in the Pacific ocean !!

I imagine the jazz folks getting high on the music...nodding their heads lost in a trance...

Somewhere a gold flake does it's thing
We then realize it's coaltrain..

:))

...Somewhere the old monk flows...Somewhere time stands still while the Bitches Brew...

Maybe we can persuade fiftyfifty to change his avatar to 50-49 that day or maybe coaltrain to an electric-train or maybe oldmonk to Amrut

:))

Last edited:
And get Moktan and Sushant from the mountains, Orko Coaltrain Jayant and Old Monk from the plains and Nikhil and Sidvee from Telangana. My new bestie Shyam V who likes RRK and Himadri. And Josh from the east so far the sun rises in a different time zone. Fifty fifty should get the hooch for cheap from Goa. These and more who inhabit this group! What fun would

Wow! This sounds like a lot of fun. Social interaction remains highly prized but elusive in these times! When all this tides over, we need to get together somewhere and do week-long Jazzathon!

This one is a real classic...pure joy...great bass on this album

images (20).jpeg

Do read the allmusic review for this album...I cannot match those expressions and sentences...save to say...its a must have !

Cripes still on A.

Jesus Alemany - Cubanismo is the first one for the day and yes it’s Cuban Jazz. And a new word - montuno. It’s that sound of Cuban and Latin music (salsa also) that I totally love and see one of the videos. My sister got it for me after seeing him and band live. Lucky cow.

This is a blistering soaring sentimental album like out of a soundtrack. Like this. Can’t you imagine the dancing and jealousy and the drinks...

And here is montuno. See from minutes 9 - 13 or so

Brilliant init? The mood that it creates

Gene Ammons - The Soulful Moods of is a combination of 2 albums - Soulful Moods and Nice An’ Cool. Jazz with an R&B feel. Big Saxaphone sound. You can imagine this in a classy jazz restaurant for example. Pretty album.

Ray Anderson - New Bottles Old wine is the trombonist take on standards. Squawking and shrieking in a superb way.

But rather than play something from there, here is the first time I heard him on LP - at a record shop in LA or was it Pasadena. With headphones checking out the LP. BOOM! Loved it. An old standard he makes his own “calypso” jazz

South Side Soul by John Wright Trio is Soul, swing and groove with delicate old school piano playing. The titles of the tracks on the album refer to Chicago streets. This has been a permanent go to album for me since I discovered it.

My first Tomasz Stanko album - Litania !!! ( The Music of Krzystof Komeda ! )

Komeda Krzystof ( Polish names are so twisty sometimes :) ) was a famous Polish personality who scored music for more than 40 films and was amongst the 1st jazz musicians in Poland.

The music is introspective i find and good for a nice evening of contemplative jazz..

( Litania - Rhymes with Mela-nia !!! )

litania.jpg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back