All That Jazz ...

"They say Alto saxophone work cast unmistakably in the Charlie Parker mold."
"Now I didn't have the slightest inkling of how Bird Sounded. It came kind of natural".

Upon jamming with him in Kansas city, Bird said to Stitt, "Man, you sound too much like me".

Allmusic review for the albumIMG_20210417_210633~2.jpg "Playing alto sax throughout this album, Stitt hardly sounds like a Charlie Parker clone, something that unfortunately was a frequent claim by tin-eared critics throughout a fair portion of his career."

"A wonderful blues and ballad player who could rip through an up-tempo bebop stanza, then turn around and play a shivering, captivating ballad."

@himadri

Thanks for bringing up Metheny; big fan here.
If you liked ‘The Way Up’, do try ‘Speaking of Now’ which features a similar line up.
‘Offramp’ and ‘Still Life (Talking)’ are much earlier recordings, and what got me hooked onto Metheny in the first place.

6DECA030-C4A1-4A10-825B-B563E6FFE4A8.jpeg28407A10-EB74-4551-B000-C0E9BE213DA8.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s worth repeating: The Penguin Guide to Jazz is an absolutely brilliant read!
The authors, Richard Cook and Brian Morton, possess an encyclopedic knowledge of jazz across its entire history; offering precious nuggets of information in almost every review. They’re also highly opinionated and seriously funny! Here’s a sample:

12D6F264-57EE-4E02-9A9E-8F18C840DDDF.jpeg05B7B9CD-A1B7-4926-AB20-EDC3A517ED7A.jpeg

cprj7180sa-bosstenor-geneammons.jpg

I have lost count of the number of times I have listened to this album while going off to sleep ….along with Sketches of Spain ..my favourite Miles album… right there in the first few seconds the sound of the horns just pour on you like the rays of a silvery moonbeam …jazz cannot get cooler than this …

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back