All That Jazz ...

I have lost count of the number of times I have listened to this album while going off to sleep ….along with Sketches of Spain ..my favourite Miles album… right there in the first few seconds the sound of the horns just pour on you like the rays of a silvery moonbeam …jazz cannot get cooler than this …
I know it’s a sacrilege but I never got into this album. It just does not swing for me

Given Rodrigo this does it for me.

Or just the original- so beautiful (I have a different Romero and Bream)

Been listening to some Sun Ra…John Gilmore was Ra’s faithful companion and took over Arkestra after his death…John Gilmore inspired Coltrane …good old , hard bop doesn’t get better than this first date with Gilmore as the leader …

Listening to some Blythe times

Here's a sample

Many thanks for the great recommendation, Malvai.
Heard just a few minutes of the link and knew I had to download the album over the weekend.
It went down really well with a couple (or four) Mojitos :)

joe-henderson-page-one-blue-note-84141-cover-1920px-ljc-.jpg

Joe Henderson was a rock star during his time at Blue Note!
Of the five albums he made for them as a leader (the other four in pic below), my favourite is Our Thing. Especially the tunes penned by Kenny Durham.
And let’s not forget the albums he contributed to as a sideman: Larry Young’s Unity, Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure, Grant Green’s Idle Moments, Lee Morgan’s The Sidewinder, McCoy Tyner’s The Real McCoy, Bobby Hutcherson’s Stick-Up, the list goes on…

DA3BA612-0B1E-4D92-9792-2178310C89A8.jpeg

Joe Henderson was a rock star during his time at Blue Note!
Of the five albums he made for them as a leader (the other four in pic below), my favourite is Our Thing. Especially the tunes penned by Kenny Durham.
And let’s not forget the albums he contributed to as a sideman: Larry Young’s Unity, Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure, Grant Green’s Idle Moments, Lee Morgan’s The Sidewinder, McCoy Tyner’s The Real McCoy, Bobby Hutcherson’s Stick-Up, the list goes on…

Amazing back story! Thanks for sharing.

Tonight's nightcap:
Joey Jefferson Band... Jazz Funk, clearly a precursor to a alternative Jazz genre: Acid Jazz...

Gone are the screechy free jazz wails. Pharoah Sanders , all of 80 years , collaborates with Sam Shepard , aka Floating Points and the LSO , in this moody meditation.
D60E0B35-1533-44C5-8129-0CF47B5E604F.jpeg

He is extremely melodic in a jazzy way.Lets enjoy his version of these songs before the disease debilitates him permanently.

I’m trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it’s difficult is because I’m changing all the time.” Charles Mingus

I quite loved this Mingus album, recorded in 1973 but discovered only in 2018:
Jazz in Detroit / Strata Concert Gallery / 46 Selden

If you can't bear to listen through Pithecanthropus Erectus, just fast forward to the other tracks, most of which are lyrical and melodious, with a fair helping of avante garde to spice it up. AND DON'T MISS DON PULLEN ON PIANO.

Chillin with Flutist Herbie Mann today afternoon. "Comin' Home Baby" Live recording of 1961, beautiful easy listening. The CD sounds much better to me than the Tidal MQA album.

He is extremely melodic in a jazzy way.Lets enjoy his version of these songs before the disease debilitates him permanently.

My most favorite guitarist ever. No one is able to give voice to the guitar as Frampton can. I loved his take on Reckoner, Loving the Alien and Avalon in this album. I read in an interview that everytime he picks up the guitar now, he plays as if it is his last time. I wish he continues playing as long as he can.

I’m trying to play the truth of what I am. The reason it’s difficult is because I’m changing all the time.” Charles Mingus

I quite loved this Mingus album, recorded in 1973 but discovered only in 2018:
Jazz in Detroit / Strata Concert Gallery / 46 Selden

If you can't bear to listen through Pithecanthropus Erectus, just fast forward to the other tracks, most of which are lyrical and melodious, with a fair helping of avante garde to spice it up. AND DON'T MISS DON PULLEN ON PIANO.

Wow! Need to check this out.
Btw, if you liked Don Pullen, grab Changes 1 and 2 if you haven’t already.
Two of my favourite Mingus albums.

8403056D-102C-4858-950C-E868BBF778B0.jpeg

Wow! Need to check this out.
Btw, if you liked Don Pullen, grab Changes 1 and 2 if you haven’t already.
Two of my favourite Mingus albums.

View attachment 57517
Thanks, I need to hear Changes. Will do that soon. Yes, I thought Don Pullen was brilliant. I realise there are quite a few albums with Pullen as leader and some with George Adams in quartet format. Should be interesting :)

Dave Holland’s Conference Of The Birds put him right up there with Charles Mingus as one of the greatest bassist/composers …Bassheads and fusion freaks will dig his freshly released ( it was just last week ) Another Land …

Thanks, I need to hear Changes. Will do that soon. Yes, I thought Don Pullen was brilliant. I realise there are quite a few albums with Pullen as leader and some with George Adams in quartet format. Should be interesting :)

Don Pullen is brilliant indeed. I believe you are referring to Tomorrow's Promises album with George Adams in multiple configurations.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back