All That Jazz ...

Luck you! Been trying to find this album on CD for ages :)
Too many albums with Lee Morgan to take a snap. Instead, here’s a list of LM Blue Notes from my collection, including other albums he’s played on - marked with a dot. You can’t have too much Morgan!
View attachment 57596View attachment 57597
Hi. That's a long long list but very boring without any photos. Sure would love to see all that beautiful album art/covers. You have this fantastic collection and you call me lucky.

Hi. That's a long long list but very boring without any photos. Sure would love to see all that beautiful album art/covers. You have this fantastic collection and you call me lucky.

LOL! I was so overcome with envy, I couldn’t spell ‘lucky’ right :)
Your wish is my command, Sushant. It also helps that I’m reasonably jobless today!
AD12A7D7-F7E0-467A-987B-CC94D73C3330.jpeg6B11127F-4977-43EC-B95A-F7220BFFBFB5.jpeg

I can’t seem to post larger images. The liner notes pic is totally illegible, so here goes again:
8C0E4267-FDFF-4A57-86B6-214D1CB8FAF5.jpeg

What a beautiful collage..you sure are spoilt for choice. Have you completed his discography as a leader (besides the rajah)?
Far from it, Sushant. What you see in the pics is what I have; plus the 3CD box of Live at the Lighthouse. There are some 5-6 other Blue Notes I haven’t snagged yet, plus 5-6 more on other labels. Regardless, I think I’ve covered his best stuff as a leader.
What’s great about the 50s-60s Blue Notes is the amazing cast of characters on nearly every album. So you’ll find plenty of LM as a sideman, performing even better on other people’s dates. For eg; check him out on Art Blakey’s ‘Indestructible’ or Hank Mobley’s ‘No Room For Squares’. Great stuff for a Lee fan.

No room for squares is a huge personal favorite of mine. Not only is it unique with having 3 horn men, it's also got my favorite Byrd :)
And an awesome cover to boot!
That’s my only regret about having ditched vinyl. There’s a special fizz you get when you’re holding a 12” square work of art in your hands :)

8F866781-9760-4F86-81C0-12EAC26F202B.jpeg

Was in the mood for something different, so I brought out this album after a gap of almost a year. Gosh, what energy! What talent! John McLaughlin, Bill Evans, Billy Cobham, Jonas Helborg. In 1984 - when we was wild ;)

Francis Wolff was a genius. His inspired photography is a huge reason I chase these BN albums on vinyl.
Just look at this..priceless art work!

View attachment 57649
Totally with you Jayant. Stating the obvious here but there's so much great cover art outside of blue note too. Also, I find a striking similarity between the songs Alabama by Coltrane and search for the new land.

Totally with you Jayant. Stating the obvious here but there's so much great cover art outside of blue note too. Also, I find a striking similarity between the songs Alabama by Coltrane and search for the new land.
Oh yes Sushant - great artwork on other labels too. However the BNs are so distinctive, you can spot them immediately.
I've got to go listen to Alabama now :)

Francis Wolff was a genius. His inspired photography is a huge reason I chase these BN albums on vinyl.
Just look at this..priceless art work!

View attachment 57649

While there’s no denying the sheer beauty of Wolff’s photography, I’d say Reid Miles was the true genius behind the Blue Note look.
He’s the one who selected the image, cropped it, added typography, design elements and colour, to create a unique look that has been consistent over nearly 500 albums.
This has probably been posted before, but relevant here:

Manfred Kirchheimer’s documentary Free Time is a delightful visual feast on the quotidian lives of the ordinary people of NY city in the 60s …as a reviewer puts it “the camera’s gaze is fond, not forensic”…I am putting it for the music though …Bach, Ravel, Count Basie, Hanns Eisler….it’s delightful….

While there’s no denying the sheer beauty of Wolff’s photography, I’d say Reid Miles was the true genius behind the Blue Note look.
He’s the one who selected the image, cropped it, added typography, design elements and colour, to create a unique look that has been consistent over nearly 500 albums.
This has probably been posted before, but relevant here:

Before you ask, let me clarify that I am jobless:)inCollage_20210604_114907888_compress74.jpginCollage_20210604_115020355_compress27.jpginCollage_20210604_114546469_compress36.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back