All That Jazz ...

Tbh, 3 CDs are enough. The only time I’ve been ok with multiple versions of the same track is on the Plugged Nickel set from Miles. This feels like they’re milking a cash cow :)
You know, this "milking a cash cow" touches a sore spot - there are suckers that fall for it, like me!
First there was the BN 75th anniversary reissues, then there was a ruckus about the quality of those pressings and voila - the Classic reissue series and Tone Poets :(
How many pressings of the same album do we really need? And now there's the gazillionth reissue of Kind Of Blue with the Analogue Productions UHQR release...

Such lovely recommendations on this thread. I thought I’ll add one of my own.

So yesterday I woke up with the blinding insight that the cheapest way to try out a new audio system is by rearranging the room, haha. I set to work through the morning and afternoon… pushing bookshelves and sofas, wiping sweat, scrubbing floors, cursing the dust and heat, and when I lay exhausted in the early evening with half the books still to be put back on the shelves, I arrived at the realisation that nobody should do this. Very bad idea. An act of pure sadomasochism. What was I thinking?

While sprawled on the carpet and wondering why I couldn’t have chosen a normal, relaxed Saturday like sane human beings, I was reminded of Ralph Ellison writing this of Charlie Parker: “He was given to extremes of sadism and masochism, capable of the most staggering excesses and most exacting physical discipline and assertion of will. Indeed, one gets the image of such a character as Stavrogin in Dostoevsky’s The Possessed, who while many things to many people seemed essentially devoid of a human center…”

Ouch.

And so my track of the day is: These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)

It’s from the album titled One Night In Washington, one of the few occasions when Bird played with an orchestra. A second-class recording but first-class playing. Parker's lines are clear and confident, curious and probing, slowed down and dizzyingly fast… it’s a masterclass in 3 mins.

While listening to it, I learned that Parker and the orchestra were playing together for the first time… there were no rehearsals before the show and, incredibly, no sheet music to read from either. Bird just (ahem) winged it!

And that got me thinking – yes, sometimes one must set off in pursuit of an idea without any forethought… throw caution to the wind, let consequences be damned. So I picked myself up and started rearranging the books with renewed vigour. Isn’t jazz wonderful?

91-aruGKJlL._SS500_.jpg

This thread is a pleasure , so many great post and recommendations - thank you all.

I would like to recommend this great film - Round Midnight. The lead character's story is based on the real life experiences of Lester Young & Bud Powell.

Dexter Young plays the lead role exceptionally , was Oscar nominated - a rare case of a person who is an established musician getting such recognition in a completely different medium. Also features Herbie Hancock (who produced the soundtrack) and Bobby Hutcherson. And a cameo by Martin Scorsese !

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0090557/

Another week, another round of recos… thanks all. With the movies, the videos and the music, that’s quite a lot to explore.

When I was very young, like this high - imagine me now holding out my palm three feet from the floor - an aunt had gifted me a small bougainvillea plant. She said it was hardy and I was going to help it grow into something beautiful. She was wrong on both counts — I managed to kill it within months. Wracked with guilt, I never tried gardening again… until this year. With some nervousness, I got myself another bougainvillea. I fussed over the watering schedule, the soil pH, the amount of sunlight, and… well, just look at it now. Today, it’s bursting white flowers all over, and stretching and pulling in every direction. Made me walk around with an inner smile all morning and that hasn’t happened in weeks. In this time of unbearable grief and death, I often forget that the quality of life can be redeemed through the little things.

When you can, take out 9 minutes and press play on Easy Healing from Stefano Bollani’s Joy in Spite of Everything (ECM, 2014). It’s the sonic equivalent of sliding slowly into a pool of bliss. The melody gurgles like a current and carries us forward revealing delights at every turn – here’s a school of colourful fish who swim close and then dart away; there’s a busy dragonfly skimming over the surface lost in its own reflection. We float past stones and reeds smooth and shining, gently bobbing in place for brief moments before being swept away into newer lagoons. The groove is infectious, and I mean infectious in the right sort of way… not, you know... If you aren’t smiling by the end, bring out the oximeter and stick your finger in for a reading.

No matter what news of loss and despair this coming week brings, I’m determined to find joy in nature’s healing grace. And I wish the same for you.

Orko the Hopeful

Another week, another round of recos… thanks all. With the movies, the videos and the music, that’s quite a lot to explore.

When I was very young, like this high - imagine me now holding out my palm three feet from the floor - an aunt had gifted me a small bougainvillea plant. She said it was hardy and I was going to help it grow into something beautiful. She was wrong on both counts — I managed to kill it within months. Wracked with guilt, I never tried gardening again… until this year. With some nervousness, I got myself another bougainvillea. I fussed over the watering schedule, the soil pH, the amount of sunlight, and… well, just look at it now. Today, it’s bursting white flowers all over, and stretching and pulling in every direction. Made me walk around with an inner smile all morning and that hasn’t happened in weeks. In this time of unbearable grief and death, I often forget that the quality of life can be redeemed through the little things.

When you can, take out 9 minutes and press play on Easy Healing from Stefano Bollani’s Joy in Spite of Everything (ECM, 2014). It’s the sonic equivalent of sliding slowly into a pool of bliss. The melody gurgles like a current and carries us forward revealing delights at every turn – here’s a school of colourful fish who swim close and then dart away; there’s a busy dragonfly skimming over the surface lost in its own reflection. We float past stones and reeds smooth and shining, gently bobbing in place for brief moments before being swept away into newer lagoons. The groove is infectious, and I mean infectious in the right sort of way… not, you know... If you aren’t smiling by the end, bring out the oximeter and stick your finger in for a reading.

No matter what news of loss and despair this coming week brings, I’m determined to find joy in nature’s healing grace. And I wish the same for you.

Orko the Hopeful
Thanks @Orko , that was beautifully written!

Orko the Hopeful
If I enjoy this recommendation half as much as I enjoyed your post, i will be happy. Thanks

Last edited:

Orko the Hopeful
Thanks. This track is as beautiful as your post!

Orko the Hopeful

Ooooff!! Brought back memories ....
Orko it's great to have you here on this thread! Superb writing and music recommendation!

71mx0hL-qXL._SL1500_.jpg

Such lovely recommendations on this thread. I thought I’ll add one of my own.

So yesterday I woke up with the blinding insight that the cheapest way to try out a new audio system is by rearranging the room, haha. I set to work through the morning and afternoon… pushing bookshelves and sofas, wiping sweat, scrubbing floors, cursing the dust and heat, and when I lay exhausted in the early evening with half the books still to be put back on the shelves, I arrived at the realisation that nobody should do this. Very bad idea. An act of pure sadomasochism. What was I thinking?

While sprawled on the carpet and wondering why I couldn’t have chosen a normal, relaxed Saturday like sane human beings, I was reminded of Ralph Ellison writing this of Charlie Parker: “He was given to extremes of sadism and masochism, capable of the most staggering excesses and most exacting physical discipline and assertion of will. Indeed, one gets the image of such a character as Stavrogin in Dostoevsky’s The Possessed, who while many things to many people seemed essentially devoid of a human center…”

Ouch.

And so my track of the day is: These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)

It’s from the album titled One Night In Washington, one of the few occasions when Bird played with an orchestra. A second-class recording but first-class playing. Parker's lines are clear and confident, curious and probing, slowed down and dizzyingly fast… it’s a masterclass in 3 mins.

While listening to it, I learned that Parker and the orchestra were playing together for the first time… there were no rehearsals before the show and, incredibly, no sheet music to read from either. Bird just (ahem) winged it!

And that got me thinking – yes, sometimes one must set off in pursuit of an idea without any forethought… throw caution to the wind, let consequences be damned. So I picked myself up and started rearranging the books with renewed vigour. Isn’t jazz wonderful?
Thanks for such articulate evocation of the coalescing of jazz with the quotidian. Ironing clothes or polishing shoes with jazz in the background is also my thing— now need to add book rearranging too to that rewarding itinerary of chores .
The smell of wax and mink oils, the brushing that settles into a mode of metronomic empathy with the music. And the slow burnishing of antique leather which takes the pleasure to quite another level.

Spent the weekend disturbing the peace with some industrial rock and raucous blues. As the building shook, rattled and rolled, I thumbed through the Blue Note book Sushant and I had discussed earlier. I was searching for covers photographed by Reid Miles, and was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

For example, I had forgotten that the famous Out to Lunch cover was actually shot by Miles. Looking at the photos he’s taken, it’s easy to see his art school background at play. Unlike Wolff’s candid camera during the sessions, these are more ‘arranged’. Which meant that the image itself was the design, and all he had to do was add a touch of typography. Great stuff!

51BB8FD7-FC2E-4866-B43A-D40A5323CE72.jpeg

Back