All That Jazz ...

Airto Moreira on Cannonball:

"Cannonball (Adderley) was my sponsor in the United States.

When it was time for Flora (Purim) and I to get our papers, to become "legals,” we asked Cannonball if he could sponsor us. He said "sure, let me sign your papers."

I remember Cannon's manager at the time didn't like it at all and his brother (Nat) didn't like it at all. They talked to him and said, "don't do that, don't sign it. You are going to be sorry. Nobody knows who these people are and if they decide they don't want to play anymore you are still going to have to fulfill that part of the contract."

He (Cannon) said, "well, I trust them. They are nice people and they need help so I'm going to do it" and he did it.

What he signed for us was a contract for four years and the contract said we would make "X" amount of money from being in his band for 4 years.

That helped us a lot in order for us to get our papers. If it wasn't for that we would have been deported.

I admire him a lot for that and his playing. He was a very, very nice person to everybody. When people saw him they wanted to talk with him. He was very much into having a good relationship with the people. He's my hero....."

By Airto Moreira

So many of us who have traveled abroad know how much of an obligation being a sponsor is.
And so much more for sponsoring someone to work ...

That is such a heart warming story of Cannonball Adderley going out of his way to help.
Thanks for sharing, Kishore!

Regards.

Last edited:
Lovely thread! Lots of new names for me, especially the more recent ones. I was most happy to see Madhav Chari being mentioned. So very sad that he passed away about a year and a half ago, quite suddenly.

Everyone has their big favourites, and one 'super-hero' of mine is missing, or just mentioned in passing, the one and only Charles Mingus. Lots of albums are there but two of my favourites are 'Black Saint and the Sinner Lady' and 'Pithecanthropus Erectus'. In my view Mingus stands up there on Mount Olympus with the greatest of them: Parker, Mingus, Coltrane, Gillespie and not too many more. Mingus changed my understanding of what constitutes musicality. For me, more than Parker (or at least as much) Mingus marks a threshold in Jazz.
Thanks for this thread.

Last night I listened to the strangest jazz album - the kind that I had to explain to my family that it was a) jazz and b) music. it took a while to get into and then was hauntingly good.

John Zorn’s - The Big Gundown, inspired by Ennio Morricone. All tunes stripped down and reconstructed. Alternating between noise and beauty! But endlessly chaotic.

I feel almost embarrassed posting the link (expect response in line with “what the...”), but it gets to you gradually. Really!

Did you know Charlie Haden had Naim? Same dealer (my first) in the US. I like his music with Coleman a lot too.

Moving on to Part 2 of Duke Ellington, a few albums that I have:

Far East Suite is one of my favourites, and also because it has songs with names like "Bluebird of New Delhi (Mynah)" (mynah represented by the clarinet), Agra etc...it was done impressionistically after Ellington's tour that included India (also Madras, Bangalore, Calcutta, Bombay), Pakistan and Iran (Far East? (need emoji with eyebrows up)). The classic Isfahan is from that album. Gosh, Iranians were listening to Ellington back then. Just see where wrong political choices can get you? It was also a tour that got cut short due to the Kennedy assassination.

New Orleans Suite is another album that I have, which I really like for the organ in "Blues for New Orleans". Not one my frequent listens, unfortunately, as I end up picking the other albums that I like.

I much prefer "Blues in Orbit", having a much lighter swingier "chilled out" vibe, and features Ray Nance on the violin in one of the songs.

In that series, I also like Ellington Uptown

Dear me, I am a bit lazy to go to my earlier post to see what other albums I added (and its blazing hot and humid today - its easier walking to my CD cupboard and peering than look up older posts!). Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges "Side by Side" is another favourite of mine, a lovely album, but more Hodges than Ellington.

From a much later time is Soul Call - which has such a modern - love this one. A live album too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgdQO-o5Ykw

Last one, from much before, is Ellington "Uptown"...here is the timeless classic "Take the A Train" and "Mooche" from the album..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthGrehkuEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7aYyd-VMVI

So many more albums - keep listening compadres...and O, the recordings are not bad!!

Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um remastered limited edition pressing.

This album is becoming an after dinner nightly affair and have no idea why I did not listen to this sooner!

R-2363430-1336934995-4202.jpeg.jpg

Mingus Ah um. What an album dazoy!! Good pick for post dinner listen indeed. Have you listened to Joni Mitchell singing “Goodbye pork pie act”.

Just one more Ellington pick as I am listening right now and it’s swinging- Blanton Webster band. Swing your Saturday night away.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSf_BaiqLVcwkG2-2p1rR3ctKWqBBPFOJ

Decades ago, when I started my Blue Note collection, I realized something interesting - every album had at least 2 to 3 great soloists in the band. And, it wasn't always the leader's album.
For example: Idle Moments is a Grant Green record, but it contains Joe Henderson's finest solo on Blue Note. Or take Art Blakey's Indestructible - Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter are the ones tearing it up!
So, I started keeping a list of albums and sidemen. It was a handy way to keep track of who was playing on what album. I'm sure there's some software that does that today, but if anyone's interested in an analogue version, it's attached here as a PDF. Hope it helps someone here discover more music from their favourite artistes.

Attachments

• BlueNote.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 14
Decades ago, when I started my Blue Note collection, I realized something interesting - every album had at least 2 to 3 great soloists in the band. And, it wasn't always the leader's album.
For example: Idle Moments is a Grant Green record, but it contains Joe Henderson's finest solo on Blue Note. Or take Art Blakey's Indestructible - Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter are the ones tearing it up!
So, I started keeping a list of albums and sidemen. It was a handy way to keep track of who was playing on what album. I'm sure there's some software that does that today, but if anyone's interested in an analogue version, it's attached here as a PDF. Hope it helps someone here discover more music from their favourite artistes.

Could this be because the sidemen in some of these albums are actually band leaders, but are under contract to another label?

Yes and no, 50/50.
Yes, most of the sidemen on those 50s and 60s Blue Notes were also band leaders... but on Blue Note itself! Almost all of them had their own albums on the label, while also working with others.

Besides listening I like reading stuff on jazz and this pdf has so many familiar cats. I also have The Penguin Jazz Guide on my Kindle and recently I read up some interesting stuff on it about The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel. When someone calls it the Rosetta Stone of modern , post bop jazz it makes jazz listening an almost archeological, investigative affair.

Besides listening I like reading stuff on jazz and this pdf has so many familiar cats. I also have The Penguin Jazz Guide on my Kindle and recently I read up some interesting stuff on it about The Complete Live At The Plugged Nickel. When someone calls it the Rosetta Stone of modern , post bop jazz it makes jazz listening an almost archeological, investigative affair.

Big respect for Cook and Morton! I just love their sly wit and erudite commentary. Too bad we'll never get a 11th edition.
Also, if you like reading about jazz, do check out these 2 books:
- Miles Davis' autobiography
- The Downbeat Interviews
Both make for great reading companions when you're listening to specific albums.

As for the Plugged Nickel sessions, yes, they're awesome. But, I paid $105 for the box in 2011, and it's $300 now! Not worth it at that price, methinks. Instead, you can get the 1st of the Bootleg series which showcases the same group 2 years later. Miles sounds a lot stronger, too.

Sarah Vaughan ft The Bob James Trio - The Shadow Of Your Smile Found this today, v nice version of this song. Also good to see a young Bob James.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back