All That Jazz ...

John Coltrane Quartet - My Favourite Things

Truly spellbinding - doesn't get much better than this!

Last edited:
Inspired by a similar thread on audiogon, let me ask.... If you were to keep just 5 jazz albums, which would they be?

My list:
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Blue train - John Coltrane
Freddie Freeloader - Jon Hendricks and friends
Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
My Spanish Heart - Chick Corea

Sorry to leave out so many others :(

Couldn’t find the vid I was referring to.
However, I did find this old ad campaign on my backup drive. No prizes for guessing where they got their inspiration!
@ 50/50
Now you’ll have me up half the night trying to choose :)

39E8192B-EC37-4E7A-91C8-4715C081244F.jpegC6F3A2FE-EDF6-4564-A231-164794D40F15.jpeg1EEA630F-C67B-459F-ACA9-28214D7F4CFC.jpegB407AFFE-684F-459E-BF9B-DF48C637A6A4.jpeg

Inspired by a similar thread on audiogon, let me ask.... If you were to keep just 5 jazz albums, which would they be?

My list:
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
Blue train - John Coltrane
Freddie Freeloader - Jon Hendricks and friends
Time Out - Dave Brubeck Quartet
My Spanish Heart - Chick Corea

Sorry to leave out so many others :(
My list :
1. The Shape Of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman
2. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
3. Live At the Village Vanguard - Bill Evans Trio
4. The Complete Louis Armstrong- Duke Ellington
Sessions
5. Both Directions at Once : The Lost Album - John Coltrane
If it was just one , I would take the Coleman album.

My list :
1. The Shape Of Jazz to Come - Ornette Coleman
2. A Love Supreme - John Coltrane
3. Live At the Village Vanguard - Bill Evans Trio
4. The Complete Louis Armstrong- Duke Ellington
Sessions
5. Both Directions at Once : The Lost Album - John Coltrane
If it was just one , I would take the Coleman album.
Yessss! How did I miss Shape of Jazz to come!? That and Change of the century. Oh, and Keith Jarret. And how can one leave out Ellington and Armstrong Summit meeting,? or Ella with Joe Pass, Charlie Hadrn Private Collection, and...., and......and....

Thanks to @square_wave who visited last week, got a chance to listen to these old favourites after a long time.
Forgot how good they were and why they will always remain classics ...

61tai91NdhL.jpg

UCGU-9047.jpg

Thanks to @square_wave who visited last week, got a chance to listen to these old favourites after a long time.
Forgot how good they were and why they will always remain classics ...

61tai91NdhL.jpg

UCGU-9047.jpg

That was a fine afternoon at your place Nikhil. Ella and Louis especially is such a fine album with regards to recording quality as well as creative content. It is a fine example of how music should be created and recorded. That art is kinda getting lost these days! I gotta say that your system has reached new levels with the goldmund amplifier and the new cables that you have discovered. Really enjoyed the time and hospitality. Big thanks for dropping me to Sameer’s place for some exquisite fun with the pure audio project speakers!

Hello good people. I have a Jazz vinyl album of following tracks...

...hope you like them. Vinyl has few scuffs which I don't like. It was posted on Wanted thread here. Now I see a copy on Discogs here. I don't use credit card so can anyone tell how much this single vinyl shipping will cost ? Don't have a clue of cost of vinyl and shipping. As I already have a copy would not like to spend much.
Thanks and regards.

The latest issue of Stereophile has a nice interview with Bill Charlap.
At the end, there’s an interesting quiz that’s not quite Downbeat’s Blindfold Test but similar in feel.
Astute responses from Charlap. Screenshot below:

61C4E148-077C-4D5B-8CAA-00626DE67300.jpeg

The latest issue of Stereophile has a nice interview with Bill Charlap.
At the end, there’s an interesting quiz that’s not quite Downbeat’s Blindfold Test but similar in feel.
Astute responses from Charlap. Screenshot below:

Great share! Wonder what fans of each will have to say about Charlap's comments.
Some of the names mentioned are new to me

I thought his snippets on Monk and Shorter, in particular, were bang on the money.
Equating Monk with Picasso was sheer brilliance. Now that he’s said it, the connection is really vivid in my mind.
Listen to the clip below, especially to Monk’s odd tonal clusters and staccato attack. It’s like he’s putting together a cubist portrait of the composition. Amazing!

Also there was an intense physicality - an interpretive dance as a critic wrote - in Monk’s piano playing as this video will testify.
Tokyo, May 23, 1963, with Rouse, Butch Warren & Frankie Dunlop. The version of “Just a Gigolo” from that performance is in “Straight, No Chaser,”

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back