All That Jazz ...

@Vivek
Blue Serge is a fantastic album and the only one I have by Chaloff.
Haven‘t heard it in quite a while, so thanks for reminding me :)
Hey thank you. Here is the next 3 (and more) - and partly listened after vodka, tonic and bitters last night and made it all so much better

Sonny Clark - Leapin’ and Lopin’ was fabulous. With Tommy Turrentine, Charlie Rouse (Mr Monk’s sideman in my favourite Jackie-ing), Billie Higgins and Butch Warren. And Ike Quebec. Last album as a leader before his death - same like Chaloff above

Anat Cohen - Luminosa is one that I have posted about earlier. Superb by this Israeli clarinet and sax player with originals and interpretations of Brazilian jazz. But I love Putty Boy Strut. Hers and the original by the awesome Flying Lotus.

Madhav Chari - From the other side - from the Indian jazz pianist who has passed on. I sat his autograph on the cover - must have been after his excellent concert at NCPA. Very lovely jazz - some standards and originals in a trio format. Verging now and then on intellectual

could not find a link so you would have to take my word for it! But I wanted to post this album which I just love - it was part of the other Cs

My CD starts with Swing to Bop. He plays and plays and plays. Again so inventive (bizarrely the other such solos that comes to mind are Zappa’s in Willie the pimp - although not jazz or of Allman Brothers and Dicky Betts in Memory of Elizabeth Reed)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHiclrHm-ig

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7rQWh62VUHE

Madhav Chari
Parisian Thoroughfares is a good album as well

Rolling Stones India magazine mentions .....Madhav Chari spent several years in the US as a student of mathematics!

I find Madhav Chari' s jazz and Vijay Iyer on a similar plane of patterns and mathematics....maybe I am not making sense.

Last edited:
Nu Jazz is a potent cocktail of electronica, house, trio hop and samples of classic jazz. I first discovered this sub genre via St Germain’s ‘Tourist’ album: a cult classic that featured Ernest Ranglin’s tasty guitar work along with bits from Marlena Shaw, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker and Roland Kirk.

Some of the albums below are a bit hard to find, so do try and check out the individual tracks. Jazz purists may turn their noses up at this music, but their feet will thank them later.

5D4F110E-4D4B-4284-BFD9-ECFCB43D938D.jpeg
80922CA4-65F7-4F69-B8EE-FC5827EE0155.jpeg
303379D4-DBA4-40F0-9A44-1826D15EFCB7.jpeg
ECEEB40C-CB4E-46E4-9C98-5E6256C36D37.jpeg

Last edited:
Nu Jazz is a potent cocktail of electronics, house, trio hop and samples of classic jazz. I first discovered this sub genre via St Germain’s ‘Tourist’ album: a cult classic that featured Ernest Ranglin’s tasty guitar work along with bits from Marlena Shaw, Dave Brubeck, Miles Davis, John Lee Hooker and Roland Kirk.

Some of the albums below are a bit hard to find, so do try and check out the individual tracks. Jazz purists may turn their noses up at this music, but their feet will thank them later.

View attachment 51441
View attachment 51442
View attachment 51443
View attachment 51444
That’s it. I am moving to your place. Stock up on the booze

Hey now for my 3 Cs

Nat king Cole - Golden years is definitely a must have for those who love this crooner in his early years. I do. A little night music. Sorry Mozar

Chick Corea - Now he Sings, now he sobs is an album that I move from wow to WTF! Modern yes with some plink and Plonk and so brilliant in many

Sonny Criss - The beat goes on is thankfully more mainstream and easy. The review goes “This is one of a group of Prestige dates by Sonny Criss from the late '60s that featured the altoist elegantly ripping through pop tunes, standing them on their heads and making them into credible vehicles for his dazzling virtuosity". I agree

ABA8C518-37A8-4497-9A47-075BAA49C552.jpeg
Inspired by the quartet’s world tour in 1958, a year before Time Out.

The percussion in ‘Calcutta Blues’ and PD’s horn in ‘The Golden Horn’ are quite exquisite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. I swept right past the biggies in my cupboard- Coleman, Coltrane and Davis.

Eric Dolphy - Out There Is strangely accessible for avant-garden and is quite beautiful and haunting in bits. Equally the star in this album is Ron Carter on the cello. And Dolphy on a variety of wind instruments

Kenny Dorham - Afro Cuban and am so glad I took this out. A great blowing album. And what a line up. Hank Mobley, J J Johnson, Cecil Payne, Horace Silver, Percy Heath, Art Blakey....magic!

Harry Sweets Edison - For My Pals was an Ok album by this great trumpet player who was part of Count Basie Orchestra and used to back up Sinatra among others. Has a few moments and is enjoyable without being great.

An LP I always come back to for relaxed modal jazz.
Swiss Jazz Quintet - Tell's Shot.

@SachinChavan
’Jazz Impressions of Eurasia’ was my first Brubeck album, back in college. A great late night album I would play with headphones on, after my roomie had gone to sleep.
Then someone gave me a live version of Take Five, and that became a party staple for all of us :)

@vivek_r
I love Dolphy’s bass clarinet playing. His work on Coltrane’s ‘Live at the Village Vanguard’ is sublime.
Also, Kenny Dorham and Joe Henderson have done some great albums together on Blue Note. Will post a pic later.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back