All That Jazz ...

Been tripping on one of the most unique voices in all of music: Cecil Taylor.
Quite a character, as you’ll see in the first vid below, and a virtuoso on his instrument. You could say he’s a pianist, but one observer noted that he actually plays “88 tuned drums”.

658D4A53-25AF-46CC-9265-BDDCD36AC35F.jpeg3FEDFDFA-934A-468D-8D0B-FD98D94FDEDC.jpeg

Finally own some records from the iconic Black Jazz label thanks to Real Gone Music reissuing their entire catalogue.

FYI Black Jazz was the first black-owned jazz label since the 1920s. Releasing only 20 albums between 1971-75, the originals are highly sought after and expensive so it's great to have official reissues. These 5 are the cream of the crop for me but they've not released a bad record. The label is known for its soulful, funky and spiritual style of jazz.
FA-1WaXMUEV2MzsRvVk4cFYVHZdVb0IQyRytMyGA2TOnLU11o2n7s3xaqBaL7QjJH6HhIfeXIiOk8hRrWwo08DPvVr7kw-...jpg

While some of Kirk’s later albums could get a bit gimmicky with the multiple horn playing, these early ones are bluesy and swinging. A good place to start for Kirk newbies.

8760ED4F-CEE8-436A-974D-1116915A32B3.jpegF917FE1C-1A41-4766-B473-3DB290C221B6.jpeg

The Sage of Tippo …

‘Your Mind is on Vacation’ is one of my favourite vocal tracks of all time :)
Surprisingly, though, I don’t have any Mose Allison albums in my collection.
Would the above be a good place to start, or is there any other album you would recommend?

Well both are quintessential Mose … I would also recommend I Love The Life I Live ….which is quite an eclectic mix of diverse covers in which Mose as the pianist really shines in his versatility …Paul Motian with his shimmering brushstroke drums gives him stellar company .. …the album title is a Willie Dixon standard …and there is Lightnin’ Hopkins and Irving Berlin ….it also includes this very pretty Isobel

I am unable to categorise the music on this album in any singular mood or style. I feel it has layering and textures of multiple styles and the emotions and moods that it evokes. But I find a primal and rooted thread that runs through it which makes it very understandable and enjoyable. It swings at times and then it doesn't and veer off. None out of the trio is supporting cast and all shine with equal light. But most of all, it is a revelation for me and I am really enjoying it. In the photo is my beat up copy. Any thoughts on this album?IMG_20210922_224607_compress29.jpg

I am unable to categorise the music on this album in any singular mood or style. I feel it has layering and textures of multiple styles and the emotions and moods that it evokes. But I find a primal and rooted thread that runs through it which makes it very understandable and enjoyable. It swings at times and then it doesn't and veer off. None out of the trio is supporting cast and all shine with equal light. But most of all, it is a revelation for me and I am really enjoying it. In the photo is my beat up copy. Any thoughts on this album?View attachment 62212
Haven't heard this album but Jaki Byard is indeed very good. Agree with you that his music cannot be clearly defined or neatly classified, which perhaps is the reason why he lacks the deserved recognition.

Haven't heard this album but Jaki Byard is indeed very good. Agree with you that his music cannot be clearly defined or neatly classified, which perhaps is the reason why he lacks the deserved recognition.
Hi Kishore. I posted this on Facebook and got some feedback. One person said, it was the summer of love in 1967 and how Morrison, Dead and Sgt. Pepper was number 1 album. The psychedelic cover points to the times. I hadn't thought of the year of release that way. Jazz was more experimental than rock.
Somebody else mentioned how Jaki was mixing stride piano with avant garde style and that I thought was a very nice observation too.

I have to thank @sameer kumar for another great recommendation!

272471966789.jpg

Great Album Thanks Nikhil and Sameer.

As usual, I fall for albums that are really hard to get!
This one finds EST in a more conventional frame of mind. Great interpretations of some Monk classics.

E8161B27-BF72-460E-A316-71B64A144DA5.jpeg

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back