Allo katana player vs Yamaha wxc-50 vs CCA with external dac

Anshul_J

Current Gear
KEF Q150
Marantz PM6005 with Chromecast Audio (via toslink)

Budget 25,000

I will be streaming music stored on my pc and mobile and also be using Gaana, spotify, etc and need USB input. I mostly have mp3 music and trying to get better quality FLAC quality files (difficult to get).
When I had audiotened Yamaha rn 803, I heard a substantial difference between streaming through CCA (via toslink) and Yamaha app (much better)
I am already using CCA via toslink and wondering what would be the best option to improve sound quality amongst options mentioned above. Where can I get an audition to compare with the CCA? I am open to other options strictly in the mentioned budget.

Last edited:
Get a good transport. Your amp already has digital inputs (both coax as well as toslink). A serious upgrade from Chromecast would be Allo Digione. If you have a higher budget get the digione signature.

Thanks @Kannan , sorry for the late response.
Is the dac on the marantz equal/better than the katana, because many reviewers rate the katana very highly. Digione signature is for 19k and katana is for 21k, or is the streamer on the signature better and the katana dac not worth it?
Sorry for too many questions as I am a bit confused.

Hi, if y are still deciding the consider the Acoustic Portrait SWARA DAC. with USB wifi dongle it goes wireless after the initial wired setup. I have my external HDD with my music connected and browse, play and control it from my phone or iPad. i was very surprised and pleased with the quality of this DAC-streamer.
best of all it’s 23k delivered to your door with excellent support over phone from Bangalore.

What OS do you'll recommend for the Allo? Would like to steam tidal and use my phone as a remote. I don't need roon as I don't want to have a seperate core plus cost of software.

I don't use tidal, however I was able to add spotify on both Volumio and max2play. Spotify is very laggy on volumio, worked fine on max, but felt that volumio is a bit better in sound quality. You can also try moode audio.

I bought an Allo digione player.
Nice buy. Just the digione or digione signature with dual power supply?
What OS do you'll recommend for the Allo?
I was using volumio for sometime. Volumio has built in plug-ins for Tidal, Qobuz and spotify, so if you register, you should be able to stream without any problems. But if you primarily use that as a transport/to read media from flash drive or HDD, so you'll feed to your outboard DAC through SPDIF, i recommend trying out mo0de. In my experience, the library management of volumio is pathetic. It takes hours to scan few GBs of Hi-Res tracks loaded in USB flash drive, and would list just 20% of them in volumio library. Just imagine what would be the situation if you connect a 500GB or 1TB HDD and perform scan. I don't know about others using volumio but my experience has been bitter.
After switching to mo0de, the library updates are superfast and all the tracks get listed. There are so many Raspbian OS available, but i have tried only volumio and mo0de. Between volumio and mo0de, I recommend mo0de for stable library management.

Nice buy. Just the digione or digione signature with dual power supply?

I was using volumio for sometime. Volumio has built in plug-ins for Tidal, Qobuz and spotify, so if you register, you should be able to stream without any problems. But if you primarily use that as a transport/to read media from flash drive or HDD, so you'll feed to your outboard DAC through SPDIF, i recommend trying out mo0de. In my experience, the library management of volumio is pathetic. It takes hours to scan few GBs of Hi-Res tracks loaded in USB flash drive, and would list just 20% of them in volumio library. Just imagine what would be the situation if you connect a 500GB or 1TB HDD and perform scan. I don't know about others using volumio but my experience has been bitter.
After switching to mo0de, the library updates are superfast and all the tracks get listed. There are so many Raspbian OS available, but i have tried only volumio and mo0de. Between volumio and mo0de, I recommend mo0de for stable library management.

Does moode do tidal as well? This will only be for tidal streaming. No local files at all. Does moode have a remote app that sits on your phone?

Does moode do tidal as well? This will only be for tidal streaming. No local files at all. Does moode have a remote app that sits on your phone?
It has native support for airplay, so streaming Tidal will not be a problem. But if you ask native plugin for Tidal, then no.
No dedicated android app for MoOde as yet. Ofcourse browser access, yes.
If you are looking purely from Tidal point of view, buy a licensed version of Volumio instead as Tidal is supported as a plugin and you can avoid multiple streaming

You can use mconnect app for Tidal casting to Pi either Volumio or Moode or any other distro which supports UPNP.

It has native support for airplay, so streaming Tidal will not be a problem. But if you ask native plugin for Tidal, then no.
No dedicated android app for MoOde as yet. Ofcourse browser access, yes.
If you are looking purely from Tidal point of view, buy a licensed version of Volumio instead as Tidal is supported as a plugin and you can avoid multiple streaming

Is airplay limited sound wise? Learning curve here.

I am old school and don't like streaming in any form, but with so much choise of music services online, that is the best way ahead today.
Still, technically speaking, a plugin should be better than the renderer method

Hi, if y are still deciding the consider the Acoustic Portrait SWARA DAC. with USB wifi dongle it goes wireless after the initial wired setup. I have my external HDD with my music connected and browse, play and control it from my phone or iPad. i was very surprised and pleased with the quality of this DAC-streamer.
best of all it’s 23k delivered to your door with excellent support over phone from Bangalore.
I'm also looking for something similar. Curious to know what App you are using for the same and does it support Airplay 2?

It comes pre loaded/installed with Rune audio.
The app is free on App Store for iPad, iPhone, from play store for android devices. There is also an active online Rune developer community.
it supports AirPlay. I use my MacBook Pro No problem

It comes pre loaded/installed with Rune audio.
The app is free on App Store for iPad, iPhone, from play store for android devices. There is also an active online Rune developer community.
it supports AirPlay. I use my MacBook Pro No problem
Oh okay. That sounds great, is it possible to confirm if it supports Airplay 2 or Airplay please?

Hi, it works on my iPad pro and Mac book pro both updated to latest firmware.
if you could guide me on how to find the version of airplay, I am happy to check and let you know

Hi, it works on my iPad pro and Mac book pro both updated to latest firmware.
if you could guide me on how to find the version of airplay, I am happy to check and let you know
Well one reliable way to check is if it can do multiroom options via Airplay..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back