Marantz PM6005 or Yamaha rn 803

Anshul_J

I have recently purchased Kef Q150 bookshelves and driving them through an old HK avr 3550. I am now looking to upgrade to a stereo amp, either a used marantz pm6005 with yamaha wxc-50 or a yamaha rn 803. Please advice which would be better purely based on sound quality. Main input would be from streaming from spotify, etc and even any flac's I have on my computer over wifi. I find the kef's a bit bright so looking for an amp with warmer tones.
My budget is strictly 50k, open to other alternatives as well within the budget, will probably upgrade the speakers in a year or two.

I have listened to Yamaha AS500 and I own a Marantz PM6005 Trust me Marantz is what you should be after... Just close your eyes and hit the buy button you can't go wrong.. worth every penny Marantz is build solid and extremely value for money ! and also its sounds pretty neutral.

KEF and Marantz go really well...Please drop the idea of amp with warmer tones as you progress it will hurt you badly and also its not a ideally recommended although one might argue its his/her personal choice.

I'm using the Yamaha RN-803 with Kef R3 and really happy with the setup. The Yamaha supports my streaming needs including Tidal, plus the addition of Airplay and BlueTooth covers the rest. For me, the most important feature of Yamaha is the room correction. The makes a ton of difference in sound quality, especially listening at low volume.

Marantz is certainly better in stereo mode. Yamaha will give you one box solution from streaming to amplification. If only sound quality matters then Marantz is marginally better than Yamaha, but if you want versatility with great build quality and power then go for Yamaha . Recently Denon has released DRA-800 and Marantz NR1200 with similar functionality, you may auditioned of both products and may be within your budget.

I have recently purchased Kef Q150 bookshelves and driving them through an old HK avr 3550. I am now looking to upgrade to a stereo amp, either a used marantz pm6005 with yamaha wxc-50 or a yamaha rn 803. Please advice which would be better purely based on sound quality. Main input would be from streaming from spotify, etc and even any flac's I have on my computer over wifi. I find the kef's a bit bright so looking for an amp with warmer tones.
My budget is strictly 50k, open to other alternatives as well within the budget, will probably upgrade the speakers in a year or two.
Marantz

If open to look beyond the two, check out the Audiolab 6000A which would extend your budget a bit. But then you get to play analog as well as digital sources due to its built in quality DAC. Audiolab amps are know for their refined sound and flat curve amplification. I’ve been happy with the previous gen 8200A for almost 3 years now, and have auditioned the 6000A with newer speakers. These amps scale up well as you upgrade your speakers (as long as they aren’t low sensitivity). And with the 6000A you get BT connectivity and phono stage besides a number of other features.

In general, it’s better to go with neutral amplifier and exercise tonal preference with the choice of speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I auditioned yamaha rn 803 and audiolab 6000a. Yamaha was nice and very convenient but nothing special, audiolab was much better but sounded harsh with my kefs and well over my budget, plus with audiolab I would have to invest in a streamer as well further adding to the cost. Denon and marantz network receivers are also a bit expensive and I am not sure if I want to spend so much at this stage.
I am getting a used marantz pm6005 from a fellow member at a reasonable price, and the general consensus seems to be in favor of marantz, and I can upgrade in the future without taking a big hit.
Also, I am new to all this and find it difficult to compare different components.

Just received and plugged in the Marantz pm6005, immediately like the sound out of the speakers, brightness has reduced significantly, much better than the Yamaha IMHO.

Just received and plugged in the Marantz pm6005, immediately like the sound out of the speakers, brightness has reduced significantly, much better than the Yamaha IMHO.
Congratulations. Good Decision.

MaSh

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back