Integrated amplifier and budget streamer in 45K

Within your budget, I feel the simplest solution is :
- Marantz PM6007 @ Rs 35K
- Mi Box 4K @ Rs 4k

Total Rs 39K

Connect the Mi Box to the Marantz via the optical out, connect the Mi Box to WiFi , and you are done.

Spotify Connect, chromecast, all will work perfectly.

Is there optical out on mi box 4k? All i see on their website is 3.5mm Jack.

From the FAQ on the Mi site :

• 10.Can I connect external sound systems to Mi Box 4K?​

Yes, you can connect external sound systems via the digital out port available on Mi Box 4K.

To add a better streamer, a WiiM mini for around 6k can do Airplay, Tidal connect , Qobuz Amazon Music HD and Spotify connect via optical out.
Thanks @amrutmhatre90 for adding this option. As given in the original post, Ethernet port is required for me if I am buying a network streamer. Also for this device I am unable to see a proper specification on their site and in description they say Optical and Aux IN but in the pics I see only single SPDIF port, is it both or only in ?

Thanks @amrutmhatre90 for adding this option. As given in the original post, Ethernet port is required for me if I am buying a network streamer. Also for this device I am unable to see a proper specification on their site and in description they say Optical and Aux IN but in the pics I see only single SPDIF port, is it both or only in ?
Ignore. Checking on Amazon, it's indeed SPDIF out.

So, a friend was kind enough to let me try and have his PM5005 Marantz, here are some initial impressions with q acoustics 3050i

• The stereo imaging and ability to identify each and every instrument is pretty impressive on this combo. I can hear some subtle things I had not heard before in the music.
  • Somehow though I feel the mid is lacking some lustre/sparkle and some bite don't know how to put in words
  • Bass is plenty and bit too much sometimes for my taste. Doesn't quite fit my definition of tight but I have not recently heard many stereos to compare.. For music it seems like amp n speaker are trying to do everything they can and technically it all sounds right but some magic is missing.
  • Initially I had speakers ~3 plus meters placed wide , moving them closer has made some improvements. Now it forms kind of equilateral. Also I ve left more than recommended 200 from rear walls, tried with/ w/o bass port sponges..
  • For TV through headphone out(no ext dac) the mid is seriously lacking and i struggle listening to dialogs. Funny but I prefer my Edifier 1700BT for some normal TV viewing.
  • For music I am mostly using Spotify with Centrance DAC - USB c from phone. It may further improve with another dac.
With this wondering if the PM6007 may bring great improvement with its DAC or any better alternatives with PM5005 and better source/dac.

Also possibility of getting Yamaha RN803 with its room correction feature. Not sure if it'd help, some people on forums like it, some don't see any improvement.

With this wondering if the PM6007 may bring great improvement with its DAC or any better alternatives with PM5005 and better source/dac.

Unlikely. The bulk of the difference in sound is coming from the speakers. If you change to a radically different type of amp topology (eg, SET), then you will hear a difference. But the difference in sound palette between different solid state amplifiers is going to be very subtle (unless you are listening to the music at a level which is challenging the amp's ability to put out music).

A differently voiced speaker is going to play a much bigger role. However, in this case, given that Q Acoustics are supposed to be warm and midrange centric, i would also consider room acoustics - that could be causing bass boom and treble reverb, which can drown the midrange.

Unlikely. The bulk of the difference in sound is coming from the speakers. If you change to a radically different type of amp topology (eg, SET), then you will hear a difference. But the difference in sound palette between different solid state amplifiers is going to be very subtle (unless you are listening to the music at a level which is challenging the amp's ability to put out music).

A differently voiced speaker is going to play a much bigger role. However, in this case, given that Q Acoustics are supposed to be warm and midrange centric, i would also consider room acoustics - that could be causing bass boom and treble reverb, which can drown the midrange.
Thanks @vkalia. I agree with you after my today's audition of another amp, same speaker.

I did try moving speakers away from the wall (greater than 200mm recommended, and little closer) tried to experiment with little toe in and I think it is helping. Overall as I said for the Music, I am happy , esp the details and stereo separation is amazing.
By the way, I did try Yamaha RN-602 with the same speakers at Oceanic Music today. The overall sound was okay and same as my speakers although a different amplifier, the overall mid and bass was much as I had observed. Specifically for the Amp I did not feel it any better than Marantz PM5005, a little more neutral plus the 'Loudness' control on it was turned way up high. For few different songs though, turning the 'Pure Sound' mode seemed a little better; a little more clarity.
I may be getting a used RN803, which is regarded above RN602 and has room correction. So my final choices are :
1. Yamaha RN803 (Used) (Little apprehensive to buy this used especially since its not from known forum)
2. PM6007 New + Would add an android box ~3-5K (Liking the overall Marantz sound, hoping the inbuild DAC would surely improve the mids in the TV sound)

Also, forgot to mention, it was pleasure having a good chat with Mr. Dave at Oceanic Sounds today, he told many stories and details of his works with Cadence speakers. Also had a great collection of new Vinyl records..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back