Altec Club,

NAD CD player died ? how, why ? what happened, crack it open, its probably a belt. I've fixed a 1000 damn CD player things - come on, dont be afraid of it. Take a few little paper pill packets with you, and everything you take off, label it. Easy, go.

Now a 515 made by GPA is likely made by GPA, they have altec tooling. However, you know what the 515 looks like - this is not exactly that. Its just something made to the 515 specs. Which is pretty good if you ask me.

300 is not a bad price for a new 515, the Klipsch 15wk copy costs that much, and the 515 is a far better driver.

But I can also tell you, the old 421 has a bigger magnet. I just eyeballed it now. It may be about equal, these newer magnets may be more powerful. Maybe they source those form china. No idea. I can call them and ask. I have spoken to the guy before. Pretty decent chap.

Cool.
Srinath.

I dont think there is any material that is "better" or "worse"
It is down to the magnetic flux density and the variations in it.
You can create a magnetic field that is very very even with any basic magnet. If you did that with neo, you'd have a modern magent that sounds good.
If you did that with alnico - well that's what they did in the 60's
If you did with ferrite - they did that in the 80's.

What died in the nad ? Laser ? Tried cleaning it with glass cleaner ?
If its an old laser and is truly dead you probably have to toss it. But they typically die from all other problems. Belts, lack of lubrication on the carriage etc etc.

Cool.
Srinath.

Neo's are dead if you lose that chrome coating.
Display died - LOL, OK find in that what ship drives that display. If its a toshiba TC 9167 (or some such BS number) let me know, I'll fish it out of my dead onkyo CD changer and send it to you. That chip is a piece of crap. But I have a onkyo CD changer that is a Piece of crap any way.
Cool.
Srinath.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back