Altec Lansing MX5021E or Norge 4242 ?

sachin_k5

Hi folks,

I have been reading a lot on these forums and finally got registered. I have read both about the Altec Lansing MX5021E and the Norge Amps. Here is my questions. I had a old sony 50 Rms combo unit which died a few weeks ago. The speakers are fine thou (6 ohms 50 rms) so i need to buy something new now. I already have a dvd player.

I have 2 options:-
1. Current DVDP + Norge 4242 + my old sony speakers
2. Current DVDP + Altec Lansing MX5021E

My usage:
50% Movies
50% Music (mainly western pop,techno,hindi,indian classical)

Please provide your expert advise. Some folks in the forum are doctors in audio-video.

First share your budget.

I was a huge fan of Altec Lansing MX5021 and used it too in the past, but the recent units just don't have the same performance levels as of before, so I would not recommend it. Have never heard Norge though its considered great in terms of VFM by many on the forum.

Hi folks,

I have been reading a lot on these forums and finally got registered. I have read both about the Altec Lansing MX5021E and the Norge Amps. Here is my questions. I had a old sony 50 Rms combo unit which died a few weeks ago. The speakers are fine thou (6 ohms 50 rms) so i need to buy something new now. I already have a dvd player.

My usage:
50% Movies

Please provide your expert advise. Some folks in the forum are doctors in audio-video.

okay norge is a 2 channel amp - for movies you might want a 6 channel amp actually. Also what is your budget like? Do you want a future upgrade path.

A norge 4242 is a 2 channel amp that is VFM - but a better buy is the 2060 which is pretty bang for the buck and sounds sweet with budget speakers from wharfedale and norge.

WRT the Altec lancing - its decent for movies - not good for music. And recent models have seen price cuts and inferior materials.

If you have a okayish budget you can get the yamaha 363 for 20-21k and see if the speakers run on that for the time being. Later upgrade to wharfedales (atleast in the front for decent music performance)

I am not a audiophile but would like good clarity. I have rarely heard anything other than the sony combo unit i had so i am in the trying out stage hence i do not want to shell out big bucks. I am keen to go in for the norge if it handles movies decently. Again i don't want a cinema hall in my house so i am happy with a 2.1 if it can give me voice clarity and handle action scenes well.
I can upgrade later if i like the setup.

Thanks Suprateep and MoserW for the quick response

I am afraid I am going to have to stop recommending the Altec Lansing MX5021 anymore. They just dont seem to make it like in the olden days. About the Norge I do not have much idea.

But it might make sense to look at speakers such as the Audioengine 2. They would be economical yet solve the purpose.

I am afraid I am going to have to stop recommending the Altec Lansing MX5021 anymore. They just dont seem to make it like in the olden days. About the Norge I do not have much idea.

But it might make sense to look at speakers such as the Audioengine 2. They would be economical yet solve the purpose.

I heard it a couple of days back at Landmark. Maybe not the right place (a bookstore), it was playing MP3s on Windows Media Player from a laptop (bad soundcard) i.e. all that can be possibly wrong were indeed wrong, but the SQ was nothing like the Altecs I knew and had used before. Way too muddy, no detail at all and the woofer was not kicking in either. Also priced ridiculously at 8K. I doubt if I will be recommending it again...

I had the MX 5021 a few months back and I sold it 4 the same price.The sound quality 4 music was BAD.

I will not recommend it to anybody.I have no idea about the NORGE amp.

regards,

Francis

Hi folks,

My usage:
50% Movies

Hai sachin,

The NORGE amp is certainly a very good choice. But I suggest you go for a 2060 or 2000 Model because your SONY Speakers are definitely not going to match these amps ( not even NORGE 4242) and to get good SQ you may have to (as Suprateep suggested) go for a Good Bookshelves like Wharfedale 9.x or 10.x to get Audiophile quality. So my 2 cents are to upgrade one piece at a time which will be easy on your purse, and also try to Audition as much as possible. Take Psychotropic as your guru he will guide you.

Thanks,

N Murali

Murali,

I have read your posts. You have a Norge 2060 and are very happy with it. Do you use them for movies also ? or just music.

Why do you feel the 4242 won't drive the sony speakers (6 ohms 50 rms) ? Because its a 42 rms amp ?

Hai sachin,

The SONY speakers of the Component systems are designed for amp of less watt ( which are rated at more watt at higher THD levels). But the NORGE amp specs are 42 w rms per channel at 0.05% THD. Also check the freq range of your speakers they may not be from 20hz - 20KHz, which is the spectrum for Hi-Fi music. So the speakers will only reduce the SQ of the amps output. Also the tweeters of todays Bookshelf speakers are very efficient and revealing that makes you to feel as though you are listening live.

Thanks,

N.Murali

Another Option Could be Norge nano with norge 1515 or other budget amp by norge.

AVmax magazine had its review in August issue.
Since you stay in Mumbai I guess.You can check these out too.

http://www.norgeaudio.com/august09.pdf

BTW can anyone from Mumbai compare these with the Audioengine A2
This could be good competition.

ok..i think i'll take a audition at Norge in Mahim since i stay at Mumbai and then decide. Will try this weekend.

Thanks folks.

Here is the update. I got the Norge 2030 yesterday and have not stopped playing it since. :yahoo: I visited the mahim office of norge yesterday and the place was totally opposite to the high end showrooms of onkyo, jamo,etc. I met a very polite and courteous Mr.Laxman who mentioned they did not stock the 4242 due to lack of demand. So i auditioned the 2030 and liked it (Rs.4500).

I was totally floored with audition of the Reference 2000 amplifier with MD75 speakrs. If you are looking at any amp in the +15k range do have a listen to this amp before you buy anything, at 11.5K its really good. Its beats the 2060

At home it totally kills the sony combo amp. :eek:hyeah: Its decent at movies too clearly amplifying across all frequencies unlike the sony combo.

With really lowly facilities its really amazing how Mr.Bajaj makes such good amps at such prices :clapping: To think about it if you are buying a imported amp you are paying for duty+huge profit margin+shipping costs+retailer margin whereas when you buy a local amp you are paying only for the profit margin.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for your time :signthankspin:, i am heading back to hear all my old cds which sound so good now :beer:

Last edited:
Congrats!!
Enjoy....
BTW, how about Norge 2030T?
Any one using it? The cost? Is it good to buy?
Has Mr Bajaj started to give options for Remote? I think all his products are with out remote!

Here is the update. I got the Norge 2030 yesterday and have not stopped playing it since. :yahoo: I visited the mahim office of norge yesterday and the place was totally opposite to the high end showrooms of onkyo, jamo,etc. I met a very polite and courteous Mr.Laxman who mentioned they did not stock the 4242 due to lack of demand. So i auditioned the 2030 and liked it (Rs.4500).

Congratulations! Its a wonderful feeling, isn't it? Savour the moment.

3 days flat, and you got your hifi setup. You are every salesman's dream customer and am sure Laxman must be a pleasantly surprised!

Are you still using the sony speakers or did you pick up their bookshelfs?

Cheers.

I was totally floored with audition of the Reference 2000 amplifier with MD75 speakrs. If you are looking at any amp in the +15k range do have a listen to this amp before you buy anything, at 11.5K its really good. Its beats the 2060

At home it totally kills the sony combo amp. :eek:hyeah: Its decent at movies too clearly amplifying across all frequencies unlike the sony combo.

With really lowly facilities its really amazing how Mr.Bajaj makes such good amps at such prices :clapping: To think about it if you are buying a imported amp you are paying for duty+huge profit margin+shipping costs+retailer margin whereas when you buy a local amp you are paying only for the profit margin.:rolleyes:

Thank you all for your time :signthankspin:, i am heading back to hear all my old cds which sound so good now :beer:

i agree with you the Norge amps are indeed excellent products.For my next upgrade I may even consider their bookshelf speakers.
They really need dealers outside Mumbai for their speakers.
One of the reasons why I didnt even consider them while buying my whar fedale 9.2 with norge 2060.

BTW did you hear their Nano and Millenium bookshelves??

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back