ALTEC - Voice of the Theatre - 825 Enclosure BRACING - DIY ( A7-8 )

Trying new bracing of the side curved horns. Totally reversible - so as to maintain stock enclosure status. Reduces internal volume, which is " said " to be a benefit. ( NOT yet heard. ) May have effect on 100 to 400 hZ., so I have read.

Lets see if the Gilbert and Sullivan large chorus singing becomes even less blurred. That is what I really want to hear !! Report may follow. New single-magnet duplex 16 inch driver mounted ( 515G / 288 ).

001 (2) 9 ROLLS per side.jpg

Last edited:
Trying new bracing of the side curved horns. Totally reversible - so as to maintain stock enclosure status. Reduces internal volume, which is " said " to be a benefit. ( NOT yet heard. ) May have effect on 100 to 400 hZ., so I have read.

Lets see if the Gilbert and Sullivan large chorus singing becomes even less blurred. That is what I really want to hear !! Report may follow. New single-magnet duplex 16 inch driver mounted ( 515G / 288 ).

View attachment 75425
Hi Jeff
can i contact you privately, regarding 2a3 se dc.

INITIAL REACTION :

Not much definition difference on the Gilbert and Sullivan chorus in the lower registers... BUT , BUT, BUT :

At the same volume setting, system subjectively played 2 dB louder with noticeably better " color " or " tone " - in the wide range that the 515G ALTEC 16 inch plays . System exhibited a totally surprising-to-me POWER of delivery in the middle mid-range, unlike any single speaker change I have ever experienced previously. Wonderful to hear.

Was a total surprise !! I really like this new powerful delivery a lot !!! Toe-tapping and FUN. Within the first 12 seconds, my arm got goosebumps, and ...... I almost started to cry for joy. This DIY modification stays !!!

I use WalMart's House Brand , called Great Value, Premium Ultra Strong Bath Tissue " which is advertised as " one roll equals four " Specification is : 286 2 ply sheets per roll. 10.6 cm by 10.6 cm.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Jeff
Hi Jeff

Sure, happy to assist you - if you can DIY.

A 7B4 into a JJ 2A3-40 is what I would suggest .

( Mu of 100, times Mu of 4, is 400 times ).

To add to what our nice friend from Germany below points out, a 7B4 is advantageously basically symmetrical in construction, and has NO soldered-on tube socket Pins at it's base, to create multiple unwanted junctions !!

It can be magical IF implemented right. Like a 6005 is.

Welcome to Hi Fi Vision.

Jeff

Mini Report :

After living with the WalMart " Great Value " Paper rolls, nine per side, for a full week, it is now time for me to optimize the number of rolls on each side in the enclosure.

Adding or removing rolls will change the enclosure's internal volume which the entire ALTEC 515G-8HP driver works into. What IS the ideal ( sounding ) enclosure ( 825 Model ) volume, that the newly-added 515G 16 inch driver performs it's best at ???

How can this be determined??

What better way can I do it, other than to listen to various numbers of rolls, in or out, with all my KEY digital CD recordings???

My in-use audio chain is a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FP Blue Ray player, ONE 57 1/8th inch Fulton interconnect with an RCA jack on each end. The source signal goes into into my stereo 2021 HFV 6005 tube amp, with it's stereo channels paralleled. This stereo amp is mono - driving one speaker for critical evaluation in MONO, through the HFV-described TRIO speaker wiring .

Realize, I use NO means of signal attenuation. It is " full blast " at a consistent signal level, source - to amp - to speaker !!!

For the last several years, that is what I do, to develop an amp, ( or in this case, the speaker. ) I can not stand the degrade of a second interconnect and it's additional RCA jack connection degrades, let alone apply any state-of-the-art Attenuator into the chain, with it's corresponding signal degradation, to develop my own audio equipment by ear.

At " full blast ", not many CDs can be used as a listenable source. I have culled-out maybe six demanding CDs, three in-phase sources and three out-of-phase sources. I will listen to them all, with the speaker leads (TRIOS) always properly phase connected.

After this past week ( of hearing 9 rolls per side ), this weekend I will remove 2 from each side, and evaluate how 7 per side internally sounds, under dynamic conditions. No one in ALTEC-history, or in audio has likely ever done this, at least precisely as I am going about it.

Particularly doing so, with the fidelity of my " doubled-up " 2021 6005 amp ( which is tremendous ) , and TRIO speaker wires - with polarities not touching.

It is a lot of work and listening required. MANY small speaker positioning adjustments are required of me. Often only 1/32nd of an inch. And often times, even less.

A single 16 inch 515G-8HP driver was rated by ALTEC as 104 1/2 dB in my-sized A7 enclosure. With this newly undertaken internal volume optimization, it is probably even more.

It's all audible !! I am curious to determine and listen-to the final result !!! Can I get the overall balance, and mental listening involvement, to please me, with no reservations ?????? DIY audio ......... is cool.

Jeff

Last edited:
Mini Report :

After living with the WalMart " Great Value " Paper rolls, nine per side, for a full week, it is now time for me to optimize the number of rolls on each side in the enclosure.

Adding or removing rolls will change the enclosure's internal volume which the entire ALTEC 515G-8HP driver works into. What IS the ideal ( sounding ) enclosure ( 825 Model ) volume, that the newly-added 515G 16 inch driver performs it's best at ???

How can this be determined??

What better way can I do it, other than to listen to various numbers of rolls, in or out, with all my KEY digital CD recordings???

My in-use audio chain is a Pioneer Elite BDP-09FP Blue Ray player, ONE 57 1/8th inch Fulton interconnect with an RCA jack on each end. The source signal goes into into my stereo 2021 HFV 6005 tube amp, with it's stereo channels paralleled. This stereo amp is mono - driving one speaker for critical evaluation in MONO, through the HFV-described TRIO speaker wiring .

Realize, I use NO means of signal attenuation. It is " full blast " at a consistent signal level, source - to amp - to speaker !!!

For the last several years, that is what I do, to develop an amp, ( or in this case, the speaker. ) I can not stand the degrade of a second interconnect and it's additional RCA jack connection degrades, let alone apply any state-of-the-art Attenuator into the chain, with it's corresponding signal degradation, to develop my own audio equipment by ear.

At " full blast ", not many CDs can be used as a listenable source. I have culled-out maybe six demanding CDs, three in-phase sources and three out-of-phase sources. I will listen to them all, with the speaker leads (TRIOS) always properly phase connected.

After this past week ( of hearing 9 rolls per side ), this weekend I will remove 2 from each side, and evaluate how 7 per side internally sounds, under dynamic conditions. No one in ALTEC-history, or in audio has likely ever done this, at least precisely as I am going about it.

Particularly doing so, with the fidelity of my " doubled-up " 2021 6005 amp ( which is tremendous ) , and TRIO speaker wires - with polarities not touching.

It is a lot of work and listening required. MANY small speaker positioning adjustments are required of me. Often only 1/32nd of an inch. And often times, even less.

A single 16 inch 515G-8HP driver was rated by ALTEC as 104 1/2 dB in my-sized A7 enclosure. With this newly undertaken internal volume optimization, it is probably even more.

It's all audible !! I am curious to determine and listen-to the final result !!! Can I get the overall balance, and mental listening involvement, to please me, with no reservations ?????? DIY audio ......... is cool.

Jeff

UPDATE :

Stopped ( for now ) at 5 rolls per side, or 10 rolls per enclosure. Plan to re-visit this internal volume-by-ear driver-enclosure optimization at year-end, when fresh and after the newly re-designed Triple 6005 mono blocks are running well. Am ordering parts to begin to finish the two Triple 6005 mono amps - in the coming weeks. It is getting expensive to build as I see fit to do.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back