Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in India

Update:
Yonomi and Samsung Artik cloud skills available for IN now. Yet to try.

Yes. Anyone who has Harmony remotes (only hub based) can now use Yonomi to trigger Harmony activities. Through Yonomi you are only limited to starting and ending an activity only. I tried it and it works fine.

Yes. Anyone who has Harmony remotes (only hub based) can now use Yonomi to trigger Harmony activities. Through Yonomi you are only limited to starting and ending an activity only. I tried it and it works fine.
Only starting and ending activity ? No action control like increase / decrease volume, stop, play..?

I am Using the sonoff Switches and they work very well with alexa, their skills are available on the India store as well
Hi, I was wondering if the sonoff wifi module would work even when the physical switch on the switch board is switched off? Can it bypass the physical switch? And like if the light is turned on by wifi command but we try switching off by physical switch will it work?
Would appreciate your inputs since you are experienced. Thanks.

Hi, I was wondering if the sonoff wifi module would work even when the physical switch on the switch board is switched off? Can it bypass the physical switch? And like if the light is turned on by wifi command but we try switching off by physical switch will it work?
Would appreciate your inputs since you are experienced. Thanks.

If there is no power going to the sonoff it will not work. So no If you switch off the power it will not work. Sonoff can't generate electricity if thats what you are asking.

If there is no power going to the sonoff it will not work. So no If you switch off the power it will not work. Sonoff can't generate electricity if thats what you are asking.
Obviously that's not what I meant. I meant if it could work like a 2 way switch works.
I read it with some other device on Aliexpress but it's not written with the sonoff if it can do so.

Obviously that's not what I meant. I meant if it could work like a 2 way switch works.
I read it with some other device on Aliexpress but it's not written with the sonoff if it can do so.
Sonoff basic is very simple you give power in and take power out, live neutral in and live neutral out. Sonoff must always receive power to work.

Can someone please check if the eWeLink skill (for SONOFF devices) is available in Amazon Alexa app? I am unable to find it, I remember seeing it few weeks back! My SONOFF device was delivered few days back and now I am unable to link it to Alexa!!

Can someone please check if the eWeLink skill (for SONOFF devices) is available in Amazon Alexa app? I am unable to find it, I remember seeing it few weeks back! My SONOFF device was delivered few days back and now I am unable to link it to Alexa!!

Yes eWeLink is available in alexa skill. I am using sonoff plug and controlling via Alexa.

Yes eWeLink is available in alexa skill. I am using sonoff plug and controlling via Alexa.
Can you please do a search now under skills in the app and see if it is listed? I am not sure if it will show up for you as you have already enabled it for your account.

Can you please do a search now under skills in the app and see if it is listed? I am not sure if it will show up for you as you have already enabled it for your account.
OK In my alexa app eWeLink is showing in the lost of enabled app.

Can someone help on this for my Echo Show 8?

I have created a routine that will turn off Lights and TV. However, I also need to turn off the screen of Echo Show after executing this routine. How can I do that?

Eg: "Alexa, good night" should do the following:
1) Turn off lights (Working)
2) Turn off TV (Working)
3) Turn off Echo Show Screen (???)

Note: Saying "Alexa, turn off screen" will turn off the screen. But, how can I include this voice command in my routine?

I have four SONOFF 4 relay to control 16 switches - combo of lights and fans. I also have individual Sonoff basics. I also got Yeelight and also cheaper Yeelight knockoffs from Aliexpress. All of them work with Alexa and Google - although for some strange reason I always have some that dont work :(

As for Sonoff 4 channel relay - for that matter any sonoffs - they are a pain in the back if internet is not on (unlike individual sonoffs which are mostly external - three of my Sonoff 4 channel relay are inside the wall. Last week when I forgot to renew my hathway - well during Night I switched on my bedroom light and fan using Alexa - midnight hathway disconnected internet and next day morning when I asked Alexa to switch off bedroom...she ignored me. I googled and there seems to be a LAN option and also some tasmota flashing thing for Sonoff - need to research this further to make sure it works when net is off.

So bottomline is that if you plan to insert these inside the wall and for some reason there is no power or internet....workarounds are painful. But on the flipside - I really enjoy the investment in these. Even my 75 year old mom asks Alexa or Google to turn off few things!!

While the 4 channel ones might need an electrician - my 13 year old is the expert on smart LED bulbs and Sonoff basic.

Oh yeah...apart from using voice commands...all my garden lights and also few other lights turn on and off at preset timelines...this is a really useful feature to have - particularly say for those that dont live in flats but some lights to turn on even when they are not home - kind of trying to fool would be burglars- this was the main reason why I installed my first 4 channel relay

Next project is to use IR to tell Alexa to switch on and switch off and also change channels on tata sky. I dont want to use harmony hubs or IR on mobile phones - Please do let me know if you have done anything in this regard

Below is an old video of my kids showing off bits of home automation way back in 2017!

Last edited:
I bought an echo dot smart bulb combo during Diwali sale.

I was apprehensive if this was a waste of money.

Having used it for a few months, this has been a good investment. Being able to control stuff using voice is very convenient when it works.

The keyword here is 'when'. Sometimes, echo won't recognize my voice/command, smart bulb loses network connection after power cut. Restarting the bulb/echo/router usually solves the issue. One really annoying thing is the smart bulb won't remember the state it was in before power cut. It will turn on no matter what after a power cut. I'm guessing it's a tech limitation but I hope future hardware can get around this. Easier networking would be a godsend.

I'm pretty sure I'll buy another echo combo sale when it happens in the future so I can have one of them in my kitchen

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back