Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in India

siddh

Copy and paste from amazon site and web. I received a notification. I think every prime member has received the same.

Echo Dot 4,499
Amazon Echo 9,999
Echo Plus 14,999

30 percent discount on the above price + prime membership

Amazon is bringing its voice assistant Alexa along with three Alexa-enabled devices - Echo, Echo Dot and Echo Plus to India.

Amazon said the devices will be available by invitation to customers "who want to help shape Alexa and further the development the Echo family of devices". ET was the first to report that Amazon is introducing Alexa with its Echo speakers in India in June this year.

Customers in India can request an invitation to purchase devices starting today and the devices will start shipping in the last week of this month (October 30). These devices will also be available in offline stores like Croma, Reliance Digital stores and others after the invite-only period, the company said.

Echo Dot is priced at Rs 4,499 while Amazon Echo will be available for Rs 9,999 and Echo Plus will be available for Rs 14,999.

Amazon said that it is also soon bringing Prime Music service to the India market. The company didn't disclose any specific timeline on its launch, but said the service will be initially available as an exclusive preview to invite-only Echo customers and will later be available to all Prime members.

Note that Amazon is also shortly increasing the membership fee of Amazon Prime in India to Rs 999 from the inaugural price of Rs 499.

Tens of millions of customers are already using Alexa, and today were excited to bring her to India with an all-new experience designed from the ground up for our customers in India, said Dave Limp, Senior Vice President, Amazon Devices and Services.

Amazon said the Echo devices will offer a customized Indian experience, including a new English voice with local pronunciations and intonation. It will also have "local knowledge" along with support for music titles, names, and places in additional non-English languages.

Echo customers in India will also have access to over 10,000 skills including skills from Times of India*, ESPNcricinfo, Ola, Freshmenu and Saavn among others.

Amazon had refreshed its Echo lineup last week by launching a new Echo smart speaker and introducing Echo Plus, that includes slightly taller and better speakers than Echo.

This launch comes at a time when Amazon rival Google is also preparing to launch its smart speaker Google Home in India, ET reported in August this year.

Google is also reportedly launching a compact and affordable version of its smart speaker dubbed as 'Google Home Mini' at a hardware launch event scheduled in San Francisco later in the day.

Last edited:
Re: Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in Indi

It is interesting that they claim to be providing home automation with Syska LED, Phillips etc. but I could not find any details.

Re: Amazon introduces echo for India; Google also plans to launch Google home in Indi

It is interesting that they claim to be providing home automation with Syska LED, Phillips etc. but I could not find any details.

I have been using both Alexa and google home (bought from US) with my Philips Hue lights in India. You can add light from the Home app(for google home) and alexa from their website(Alexa app is not available in Indian app store).

Welcome move from Amazon!:clapping:

I have been using with Logitech Harmony Hub and smart switches, works great! Even playing music from my amazon library and tunein. Only downside i have see is the location update was limited to US, UK and Germany. Hope India launch resolves this.

Is it recommended to buy the Echo plus (which comes with smart home hub) v/s just getting the Echo and adding a separate hub? Haven't used any smart home hub so far and not much info is available on the smart hub part of the Echo Plus.

I hope that after Amazon launches the echo the devices bought from amazon.com will work seamlessly in India

Which hub do you use? Is there a common smart home hub that works with Philips, WeMo, Nest devices?

I have registered for invitation. Lets see if I get it. Can be very convenient for my wife and daughter.

Which hub do you use? Is there a common smart home hub that works with Philips, WeMo, Nest devices?

I doubt if there is any off the shelf hub which supports all of this. Samsung Smartthings Hub v2 doesn't support Nest, WeMo natively I guess. For Philips Hue bulb to work, we need Philips Hub as well.

I have registered for invitation. Lets see if I get it. Can be very convenient for my wife and daughter.

I received the invite and ordered Echo Dot for rs: 3149 (30% discount + 1 year prime membership). Also I will receive 10% cashback on citi credit card I think.

Welcome move from Amazon!:clapping:

I have been using with Logitech Harmony Hub and smart switches, works great! Even playing music from my amazon library and tunein. Only downside i have see is the location update was limited to US, UK and Germany. Hope India launch resolves this.

Which smart switch you are using ? I am planning to get few for controlling fan and water heater. But couldn't decide anything. Not sure if Aeon Labs Z-wave switch will work in India. Sonoff I am not sure about the quality/safety for concealed installation.

BTW, I have TP-link smart plug - HS110.

Any idea when are they planning to deliver them ? So far i can't see the location update for India, also the app does not show up in iOS store.

I received the invite and ordered Echo Dot for rs: 3149 (30% discount + 1 year prime membership). Also I will receive 10% cashback on citi credit card I think.

I already have an echo dot bought in US. I have not yet configured them. Will I be able to use them configure in our region?

Yes, I have an US make and it does work fine though it would land up in amazon.uk/us with specific things based on location missed out(e.g traffic) few other minor stuff like no app in playstore/appstore, anyways they are about to launch in India and things should be smooth from now on.

I already have an echo dot bought in US. I have not yet configured them. Will I be able to use them configure in our region?

Any idea when are they planning to deliver them ? So far i can't see the location update for India, also the app does not show up in iOS store.

The delivery date mentioned in the order confirmation is Nov 3-4.

For me, estimated arrival date is 3 Nov - 6 Nov. Hopefully app will be made available by end of October.

Got the invite and ordered the Echo. I was interested in speaker capability to keep it a simple living room player for aesthetics and simplicity. Delivery date Nov 3 to 6. Hope it should be ok.

Can someone confirm all the 3 models have 3.5mm connector and Bluetooth to connect to external speaker.?

In the comparison chart it is showing all the models. But in some article it mentioned only "Echo dot" has external speaker connectivity option.

How can one benefit the 1 year prime membership offer with Echo if already paid for the prime?

Back