Amazon Kindle

I am using a free(for a limited period from what I understand) app by Apple called iBooks. I am able to add previously owned PDFs(not bought from apple store) to my apple library and read them conveniently. Even pics/diagrams appear accurately. This is on my iPhone 4, but should work on an iPad as well.

Hi Santhosh,

Isn't iBooks free? It comes loaded with the phone no? It's extremely handy for creating pdfs from pictures of text one takes, or existing diagram files and other stuff.

The Kindle eInk/iInk or whatever it is called is quite good, no glare like the OP says.

Hi Avijeet

can you tell me how to go about getting it for 7290 all inclusive (which means duty also I guess?)
Thanks in advance

It was listed on ebay.in @ 8100/- free shipping.
It was the deal of the week...
Luckily i got a 10% discount (Max 1000) mother's day promo code from ebay e-mail.

So 8100 - 10% Discount = 7920/-

thats not all, i opted for a 3 months 0% emi so.... 2430 X 3 :yahoo:

...... FLASH BACK ......

The seller was booyahchicago
i dropped a mail to them via ebay
they responded over phone, i got it confirmed that its not the promo advertisement screen saver Kindle ($114)... its the Kindle available at $139.
They confirmed that i dont have to pay anything extra for shipping, duty etc.

Delivery time 10-14 days.

I hope this post will help others..... :)

Last edited:
Hi Santhosh,

Isn't iBooks free? It comes loaded with the phone no? It's extremely handy for creating pdfs from pictures of text one takes, or existing diagram files and other stuff.

The Kindle eInk/iInk or whatever it is called is quite good, no glare like the OP says.

I have installed Kindle Apps on my "Nexus S" its working fine...
iBooks, Nook Apps, Kindle Apps all same..... available for PC, Phone, Android...

though i have not yet used kindle... but i have seen many videos on youtube and m convinced that Kindle is class apart and only a AVID book reader will understand it.

try to read a novel on iphone 4 or on Laptop u will come to know in 30 min....
because of the finite work and glare eye strain bound to happen....

Ordered kindle 3 wifi from Indiaplaza.in for 8490 yesterday. Has a 10 day delivery period :( waiting....

We both should put our unboxing photos and product reviews....... m expecting to get it by end of this week

Will be looking forward to yours.

Will put up my review, but unfortunately my camera went bust about a month ago :mad:so no photos from me :sad:

hi all.
I bought my Kindle 3g version from UK two weeks back alongwith kindle cover. I would suggest anyone buying kindle to go for 3g vesion if budget permits and believe me you wont regret. eg I am sending this from my kindle. This version also carries the kindle chaging adapter which is not available in non 3g version. Of course you can charge using USB cable but you may not like to use a PC to charge.

About the ebooks you can just copy it in kindle through USB. It does not matter where you got your book from.

There are hundreds of other ways in which you can tweak the kindle if you dont mind jail breaking it which is vry easy and reversible.

You can use calibre software to maximise its potential. You can subscribe to free newspaper and magazine feeds. Hindu and Hindustan Times feeds are available on calibre.

Another advise would be to buy a cover to protect your kinde not necessarily kindle ones. Cheaper options are available too. I bought the kindle cover because I likes the idea of securing it with metal locks with cover rather than the unaesthetic looking straps.

Plan to post pics of the entire package.

Can you explain how to install calibre software on Kindle?

hi all.
I bought my Kindle 3g version from UK two weeks back alongwith kindle cover. I would suggest anyone buying kindle to go for 3g vesion if budget permits and believe me you wont regret. eg I am sending this from my kindle. This version also carries the kindle chaging adapter which is not available in non 3g version. Of course you can charge using USB cable but you may not like to use a PC to charge.

About the ebooks you can just copy it in kindle through USB. It does not matter where you got your book from.

There are hundreds of other ways in which you can tweak the kindle if you dont mind jail breaking it which is vry easy and reversible.

You can use calibre software to maximise its potential. You can subscribe to free newspaper and magazine feeds. Hindu and Hindustan Times feeds are available on calibre.

Another advise would be to buy a cover to protect your kinde not necessarily kindle ones. Cheaper options are available too. I bought the kindle cover because I likes the idea of securing it with metal locks with cover rather than the unaesthetic looking straps.

hi all.

Please enlighten me with 3G details ?

Is the network usage free?

Can you explain how to install calibre software on Kindle?

You dont install it on kindle instead you install it on your PC and then sync with your kindle or any other ebook device.

Please enlighten me with 3G details ?

Is the network usage free?

Yes its absolutely free buddy all over the world, of course wherever 3g is available. I used it in London and now in Cairo. It works like a charm. My few observations:

1. Only one browser window.
2. No flash players, so autoupdat type sites wont display contents or will need manual refreshing.
3. If the html page is heavy in size like facebook then it may cause the device to hang.
4. Without jailbreaking you can download onlly limited tyoes of files.

one must remember that its an ebook reader and not a PC tablet.

A lots of info is available on mobileread forum if the mods permit this then I would like to share this info.

One can subscribe for free trial subscription for magazines and newspapaers for 14 days on amazon. The trick is that you need to give a valid card number which would be automatically charged in case you dont unsubscribe during the trial period.

In case your kindle is not behaving give it a force restart by holding the power button for 30secs. Its different than switching off for which you ned to hold the slider for 8 secs. After force start you will see the kindle screensaver of a boy reading under the tree.

What would be the other options for Indian users as far as eReaders are concerned? I saw Infibeam Pi2 and Wink at a Reliance TimeOut store in Ahmedabad.
What about the warranty for Kindle in India? How does Amazon handle it?

Its covered under international warranty. Normally amazon replaces the pieces right away instead of repairs. One would have to bear the shipping costs though.

If someone is looking for legal free books the you must have a look at "Project Gutenberg". It basically has books out of copyright. You may not get the latest ones but the collecion is good, free and LEGAL.

Of course Kindle store also has free ebooks.

If someone wants to experience the kindle outlook (not the screen experience) then you can download kindle for PC which is free. You can read, manage your books like kindle on your PC.

Last edited:
A PDF is like a picture and therefore the fonts should not make a difference, as far as I know, Having said that, as far as reports go, kindle is not that great at handling pdf. Will be able to give you better info once I receive the kindle, as per the status today - its already shipped. So I guess it would take another 3-4 days. :yahoo:

By the way indiaplaza has shipped it by registered post!

Avijeet, what news on yours, have you received yours already?

Iam looking for an e-reader that would support like:
* To scan the school/college text books of various classes and degree subjects.
* convert to pdf format (pls specify any s/w to convert)
* view them without any hitches in the e-reader.
* Not interested in wifi or 3g. Plain use 100% e-book-reader.

Iam still wary if amazon kindle can support this. Or does the indian e-readers can do this job?
Anyone can provide me a path from where to source an e-reader?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back