AMD processors Vs Intel

AMD was never a strong player in the laptop segment. In the past, their laptop processors were notorious for overheating/drivers/stability issues. Off late, they are trying to make a comeback in the laptop segment with their newer line of processors (Ryzen 4000). But how they will perform in the field is yet to be seen. Intel is tested and trusted on the Laptop segment for decades.
I have a laptop with Ryzen 5 2500U (8GB) RAM, it runs circles around my Intel Haswell i5 4690k 16GB desktop (I know it is old but still..). Ryzen processors are real deal, there is no point buying Intel processors today except for gaming. If you can source Ryzen 5000 series processors then even gaming is better than any intel processor (including i9 10900k). But issue with Ryzen dektop CPUs is that they don't ship with integrated GPUs and their motherboards are expensive, and external GPU is an additional cost. But for laptops better to go with Ryzen if you can.

AMD is no longer cheaper than Intel. Its possible you are looking at the older generation A series cpu which are best avoided. They are okay as a school laptop.

The latest generation AMD Ryzen 5000 Mobile series processors are the ones to look at. For business use, you can look at HP Elitebook series with these new processors.

AMD is no longer cheaper than Intel
Thank you sandeep

I realize that AMD is not price competitive Vs Intel - if anything i find it to be expensive for ordinary - sales manager - usage

The Mi laptop i3 10th gen + 512 GB SDD 14 inch screen + 8 MB RAM incl GST and 1 year warranty is more value to my mind

If you are ok with Mi laptops, then this one will work perfectly, looks great, well built, very light and would work great for the reasons that you are buying them for

this i3 version is for 37k delivered ( 8 GB + i3 + 14 inch screen ) and its time to take a call between my 2 choices and plonk the money !

Thank you !

Thank you sandeep

I realize that AMD is not price competitive Vs Intel - if anything i find it to be expensive for ordinary - sales manager - usage

The Mi laptop i3 10th gen + 512 GB SDD 14 inch screen + 8 MB RAM incl GST and 1 year warranty is more value to my mind
The sales managers mostly deal with complex spread sheet, PPT and salesforce. In my experience, i5 (8/9/10th) gen, 8GB RAM & 256 GB SSD should do wonders for them. With SSD you see a notice able improvement specially with Spread sheet. Check with the local vendors, they sometime have the stock for previous gen laptops (Lenovo offers a great VFM). You can get a deal there. Don't hesitate to spend a little bit more on On-Site support/Extended warranty.

Edit:- Plus Bit locker support (Dedicated TPM chip) is a must have for Sales People.

Last edited:
if the RAM is extendable would be a little better.
In most of the budget and high end laptops you can upgrade the RAM later.
you can get the ram increased to 8 gb
Thanks for the assurance guys. But will this not void the warranty?
Apologising with reference to my above post with a typing error of "1 Gb hard disk " instead of "1 TB hard disk".
Ha ha ha. No problem. It has been edited accordingly.

Take it to their authorized service center and get them to upgrade or put in an additional stick of RAM. It will be a little expensive than getting ye local friendly neighbourhood hardwarewala to do it but won't void the warranty.

I am having an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3.40 GHz in my VR gaming PC. VR games work pretty fine on them. One will not have any issues with Office Apps on them. Graphics card GTX 1660 TI for VR gaming.

Last edited:
I am having an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3.40 GHz in my VR gaming PC. VR games work pretty fine on them. One will not have any issues with Office Apps on them. Graphics card GTX 1660 TI for VR gaming.
I suppose you are referring to your desktop system configuration here. Laptop processors are tuned differently and are optimized for longer battery time and lower heat dissipation hence they are always slower than their desktop counterparts.

Ha ha ha. No problem. It has been edited accordingly.
Thanks for the edit Captain:D, the warranty will not be void if the ram is changed at the authorised brand service center. I have done the same at HP.

Thank you all

Finally it's a Dell Vostro model 3401 i3 8GB and 256 SSD got it for Rs 41k incl gst

I think this will be good for the purpose

Almost bought the Mi laptop but went for Dell in the end

Bought from a nearby store to encourage brick and mortar stores as much as possible

I have had good experience with refurbished laptops from refurbix. I have no relation to them, just a satisfied customer.

I see the AMD Ryzen 3 3250U is the model mainly used in dell laptops.
How is this compared to 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1 Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
and 11th gen Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz).
I am looking for a student laptop 15.6inch ( i3 or ryzen 3) in 35k range price range and considering some models from Dell.

Dell vostro 15 3501 (10th gen i3, 8gb RAM , ITB HDD ) : Rs. 36989

Dell inspiron 15 3505 : RYZEN 3 3250U, 4GB, 1TB HDD ) : Rs. 34489

Suggestions please

I see the AMD Ryzen 3 3250U is the model mainly used in dell laptops.
How is this compared to 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-1005G1 Processor (4MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
and 11th gen Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4 Processor (6MB Cache, up to 4.1 GHz).
I am looking for a student laptop 15.6inch ( i3 or ryzen 3) in 35k range price range and considering some models from Dell.

Dell vostro 15 3501 (10th gen i3, 8gb RAM , ITB HDD ) : Rs. 36989

Dell inspiron 15 3505 : RYZEN 3 3250U, 4GB, 1TB HDD ) : Rs. 34489

Suggestions please
The vostro with 8gm ram simply for the reason that it has more than the other one's 4. 4 is simply insufficient for even basic internet multi tab internet browsing. But given the choice, I would choose neither. As far as possible, go with a laptop with an SSD.

At least 8 GB RAM and an SSD (even though it may be only 250GB as opposed to 1TB for an HDD) are the thumb rule.

Besides that, anything above an i3 9th gen or an AMD 4xxx series processor is just fine.

Ordered this laptop which launched last month which is having much better specs than models I have shortlisted earlier from dell.

Model: HP 15s-fr2006TU
11th Gen Intel® Core™ i3-1115G4
8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM
512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
39.6 cm (15.6") diagonal, FHD (1920 x 1080), IPS, micro-edge, anti-glare, 250 nits, 45% NTSC

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back