AMD processors Vs Intel

Totally agree
Before ryzen , amd had issues. Now its a different story and intel is sort of playing catch-up.
No one expected tide to turn so quickly
If you were into the laptop desktop scene for the last one year then it's easy to understand that Intel and amd had switched places. Amd literally is eating intel everyday for breakfast. I am just thinking intel is going to be the next Nokia soon unless they did something magical. Apple started their own manufacturing. Now the real competition coming up is between amd and apple(arm-nvidia). Currently in US many intel processors are at a reduced price to catch up.

it looks like i am going to end up with a Dell Vostro laptop since the budget is @40k

The Dell Vostro 14 3401 model - this comes in 2 versions

with 8 GM RAM plus 1 GB HDD
&
4 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD ( plus 1 TB HDD )

which version will be better ? since price diff isnt much..

Go with "4 GB RAM + 256 GB SSD ( plus 1 TB HDD )" see if the RAM is extendable to 8GB would be great then.
Else buy the first one with 8GB RAM...you can replace HDD with SSD later on.

is the SSD really needed ? There is a version with 4 GB RAM only which costs Rs 5k less
SSD matters :) yes. You will feel the performance issue while just having 4GB RAM. 8GB would be much better. If the 4GB one has extendable RAM go with that..you can extend the RAM later.

is the SSD really needed ? There is a version with 4 GB RAM only which costs Rs 5k less
A good SSD boots up very fast unlike a hard disk apart from the other benefit Dinesh has mentioned. Windows 10 itself may occupy around 4 gb ram. Ideally minimum 8 gb + SSD is good for basic use. Else 16 gb is ideal. If you don't mind a little slower booting of windows from a hard disk & is for basic use , then 8 GB RAM plus 1 GB HDD is ok.

A good SSD boots up very fast unlike a hard disk apart from the other benefit Dinesh has mentioned. Windows 10 itself may occupy around 4 gb ram. Ideally minimum 8 gb + SSD is good for basic use. Else 16 gb is ideal. If you don't mind a little slower booting of windows from a hard disk & is for basic use , then 8 GB RAM plus 1 GB HDD is ok.

Hi Nitin

I saw many laptops yesterday - the 8 GB + SSD and above go into the 60k range and i really dont have such a budget.

Maybe i may have to expand my search to other brands but i liked the looks of the dell Vostro 14

Not followed full thread but if i3 10th gen is ok , this laptop might be of use

Hi Nitin

I saw many laptops yesterday - the 8 GB + SSD and above go into the 60k range and i really dont have such a budget.

Maybe i may have to expand my search to other brands but i liked the looks of the dell Vostro 14
Hi Sir,

If the laptop usage is only for basic tasks like MS word, Excel etc, then even an i3 with 8 gb ram and a 1 TB hard disk should suffice. No need to go for SSD or an i5/ryzen5 processor. AMD equivalent processors are generally cheaper than intel with good performance & vfm. Intel is also very good & dependable.
You can initially try with 4 gb ram, if you feel it is lagging in any way then you can upgrade the ram to 8 gb which would be approx Rs. 5000/- more. The graphic card for the laptops in this range is generally an integrated intel one which is fine for daily usage. This should be within 40K with pre installed windows 10 & MS word. You can also take a look at HP range.
I would suggest, contacting Dell or HP directly as sometimes they do give more discounts than the physical stores.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Nitin

Thank you - is there possibility of better deals at refurbished laptops ?

any experience ?
Most welcome. I don't have any experience with renewed/ refurbished ones. There are lot of them on Amazon. There is a 7 day replacement and 6 months warranty on these.
With a warranty on them and if the laptop is in decent condition in functionality and cosmetically & if you are lucky then you may get a higher model at a decent price.

Not followed full thread but if i3 10th gen is ok , this laptop might be of use
interesting - have you any experience with Asus ?

You will feel the performance issue while just having 4GB RAM. 8GB would be much better. If the 4GB one has extendable RAM go with that..you can extend the RAM later.

Windows 10 itself may occupy around 4 gb ram. Ideally minimum 8 gb + SSD is good for basic use. Else 16 gb is ideal. If you don't mind a little slower booting of windows from a hard disk & is for basic use , then 8 GB RAM plus 1 GB HDD is ok.
Argh. Too bad I saw this thread only now. I told my Son to order a decent laptop to replace my daughter's, which went kaput. He ordered one with Ryzen4 Processor and SSD but with only 4GB RAM. Her use is limited to browsing and MS Office. Hope it works well without issues.

Argh. Too bad I saw this thread only now. I told my Son to order a decent laptop to replace my daughter's, which went kaput. He ordered one with Ryzen4 Processor and SSD but with only 4GB RAM. Her use is limited to browsing and MS Office. Hope it works well without issues.
For browsing and word, it's good. It has Ryzen 4 that might support multithreading so won't be an issue :) however, if the RAM is extendable would be a little better.

Argh. Too bad I saw this thread only now. I told my Son to order a decent laptop to replace my daughter's, which went kaput. He ordered one with Ryzen4 Processor and SSD but with only 4GB RAM. She uses it for browsing and MS Office. Hope it works well without issues.
In most of the budget and high end laptops you can upgrade the RAM later. Hence priority should be always given to the processor as it's the main component and changing it mostly requires to change the motherboard as well.

Argh. Too bad I saw this thread only now. I told my Son to order a decent laptop to replace my daughter's, which went kaput. He ordered one with Ryzen4 Processor and SSD but with only 4GB RAM. She uses it for browsing and MS Office. Hope it works well without issues.
Hello Captain,

It's still not too late, you can get the ram increased to 8 gb & the cost may be an additional approx Rs. 5000/-, if any lag in performance is noticed. With 4gb ram, Windows & any antivirus program if installed will slow down the laptop.
Apologising with reference to my above post with a typing error of "1 Gb hard disk " instead of "1 TB hard disk".

Regards,
Nitin

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back