Amp and Speaker matching

Looking for a 2.0 stereo set up and I have zeroed it on Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelves and Marantz PM 6005 integrated amplifier. I am little confused if they are the right match for each other. Will the amp be under/over powering the speaker or if it is designed to give the right amount of power to the speaker?

Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 specs:
Suitable Amplifier Power 20-100 Watts
Impedance (Nominal) 6?

Marantz PM 6005 specs:
Power output:
(20 Hz - 20 kHz both channels driven)
45 W x 2 (8 ?/ohms load)
60 W x 2 (4 ?/ohms load)

Thanks for your inputs guys

Any specific reason why you are not going for the newer 100 series for speakers? Both the 10 and 100 series are priced the same on hifimart and I think 100 series has much better reviews compared to 10 series.

Last edited:
Looking for a 2.0 stereo set up and I have zeroed it on Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 bookshelves and Marantz PM 6005 integrated amplifier.
With Marantz,Dali Zensor3,Monitor audio do sound better than Wharfedale.
Wharfedale sounds better with Yamaha amp to me.If you have heard the combo and liked,go ahead then.

Any specific reason why you are not going for the newer 100 series for speakers? Both the 10 and 100 series are priced the same on hifimart and I think 100 series has much better reviews compared to 10 series.

This might sound ridiculous when one is searching for a pair of bookshelves but frankly speaking I didn't like the way Diamond 121 or 122 looks. Love the design of Diamond 10 series. Loved it at the first sight

Hi global rhythms

Well I don't see any challenge in using the speakers you have shortlisted on the Marantz. Typically, you should try to audition these speakers (if possible on a Marantz) and see how they perform.

Some stuff you should consider for a demo are:

* Hotel California Live version (Vocal + Instrument clarity test)
* Aao Huzoor (Vocals test)
* Nessun Dorma - Luciano Pavarotti (Vocal and pitch handling test)
* A good action scene which has a lot of crash / slams / thuds etc (2012 limo scene moving through the city to the airport).

Marantz unlike its competitors ensures that continuous power is delivered across all frequencies (20hz - 20khz). You should look at speakers which deliver the maximum frequencies....the sensitivity levels should be 88db or more...this will help in better output and less strain on the amplifier...

There are tons of reviews and videos fortunately available over the internet which can help you to take the right decision...don't rush...go window shopping and hear a lot of speakers and then start shortlisting.....remember Home Theatre dealers will make anything sound good in their special computerised created demo rooms...end of the day, we as users expect the same or better performance in our homes....

B&Ws are a good match for the Marantz and if budget permits you should demo the 600 series or the CM series...

Cambridge Audio S50s are good value for money and performance. A couple of weeks back, there was a thread on speakers prices and models....you should look at that and decide....end of the day it is what appeals to you (performance, looks, etc) and your wallet....All the best.

Hope this helps.

the arcam is definitely better than the marantz (and more expensive too). though in that set up the polk would be a weaker link. i think you should spend more on your speakers

the arcam is definitely better than the marantz (and more expensive too). though in that set up the polk would be a weaker link. i think you should spend more on your speakers

Thanks, do suggest a better speaker that can handle Highs and Lows better than Polk RTI A7. I am all ears here.

Also why do u think is ARCAM better than Marantz PM6005 ?

the arcam is a step above the marantz. more dynamic - better in every regard infact.

whats your total budget / room size / listening habits. it will be easier then to suggest

Hi goldspot

Whatever you decide to purchase..ensure that you fully hear it, read reviews...ensure after sales service availability and then take the appropriate decision and make your purchase.

http://www.hifivision.com/what-shou...ing-purchase-first-hi-fi-jump-help-folks.html

My Budget is 1L for both AMP and Speakers. Please check out my thread, given my taste in music, do recommend what speakers do u think will go with ARCAM A19

have you gotten a quote on the arcam? if im not mistaken you will not get it within your budget

you can check the kef q500 speakers and the monitor audio bronze as well. both floor standers. once you decide on speakers can help you with amps to match. brands you can look at is nad, cambridge, marantz. i step lower would be the yamaha as 500.

if youre looking at upgrading at some point then i would suggest buy the monitor audio rx6 speakers and for now pair it with the yamaha as500 amp. and at a later date you can upgrade the amp

Arcam A19 and MA Rx6 is a great combo for music. You might want to check good quotes for this and see if you can fit within your (slightly stretched) budget..
Alternatively you can think of getting either the amp/ speakers used for now and think of upgrading later.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back