Amp + DAC vs In-built DAC ?

anubisX

Which one is preferred ? Speakers are Dali Z3.

1. Marantz PM5005 + Schiit Modi 2 Uber : 39K

2. Marantz PM6005 (in-bulit DAC) : 31K

If you are going for an external DAC, May I suggest the Yamaha R-S201, R-S201 - Stereo Receivers - Yamaha - India it's a no frill powerful amp (85watts per channel).
The Marantz is already a decent amp but you would be also paying for things you may not use. The in-built DAC does play an important role in the sound signature of the amp.
The Dali Z3's can use some more punch than the marantz has to offer. In the end, Hearing with both options is the best way to make sure
you are getting the best bang for the buck.

As you have already brought the 5005 I would suggest do not buy the 6005 as an external DAC will any day better than the in-built DAC of the amplifier. Also upgrading the DAC or amplifier alone in the future is easy if they are separates rather than in-built ones. Look at one of the threads of a FM of Hyderabad who has 6005 but instead went ahead with Schiit DAC and as per him the Schiit made a big difference in his setup and I think he is using the Zenser 5 if I am not wrong.

Yes, he's using the Bifrost Multibit and I'll be getting the Modi 2 Uber, probably with the newer chipset. Will that be good enough ?

Yes, he's using the Bifrost Multibit and I'll be getting the Modi 2 Uber, probably with the newer chipset. Will that be good enough ?

Difficult to say what will be 'good enough', Modi Ubers do get very great praises from those who own it. With audio if you hear something better then and then only you are truly able to appreciate the quality of your equipment.
I have not heard the Modi so can not really say how it will be. Have you used a DAC in your chain before? A lot depends on your previous experience with digital source. I can only give you notes from my personal experiences.
For over an year I used a Fiio DAC and found it to be of great value, it did improve the sound a leaps and it sounded great, then when I finally bought my Emotiva DAC, it all changed. I realized what was missing with Fiio.

I still listen to the the Fiio at times when the main system is not available, it sounds nice but I am keenly aware how it can be.
Most likely you will enjoy the Modi Uber experience.

Why not consider one of the newer fully digital amplifiers from Hong Kong and China? They are petite and compact, highly power efficient, most come with usable tone controls, they have LCD/OLED display, can drive most types of speaker loads, and they drastically shorten and simplify the audio path. Of course this assumes that your source is either SPDIF coaxial or optical, or USB. Some models do have analog input too. From what I've read on forums they're supposed to be very good sounding and will be much more cost effective than amp+ DAC or a conventional amp with built-in DAC. This type of products (fully digital amplifiers) are still in its infancy but with some of the newer chipsets from Texas Instruments, ST Microelectronics, Tripath too (IIRC), etc, the sonics is supposed to be very good and therefore worthy of serious consideration. Check out the thread on SMSL products elsewhere here on the forum. There are many other similar vendors making ground breaking products.

Alright :) Then I'll keep the 5005 and get the Uber. Also, anyone know about Clicktronic cables ? 12 AWG is 400/- per meter.

I think I once saw that on Technoguru. SKS also told me that Clicktornic will be better than Norstone cables.

Alright :) Then I'll keep the 5005 and get the Uber. Also, anyone know about Clicktronic cables ? 12 AWG is 400/- per meter.
Yes dedicated DAC plus separate Amp is much better than DAC integrated ; in case of Marantz 6005 vs 5005 its pretty straightforward as the power difference is just 5wpc & the price difference is 10k!

These are two more options you could consider over Modi uber 2

Smsl M8 :

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Optical-Coaxial-Asynchronous-decoder/dp/B00PS0WLX6

Cambridge DAC Magic 100 (from the specs its the same chip on CXR A60 amp)

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&s...gglMAA&usg=AFQjCNGUpQ5uTa8eJDCnKRk9iUeykkSfug

I've already pre-ordered the Modi 2 Uber.
Pretty good decision, give your review once you get it - I'm in a same boat with bit more budget up to 26k. I'm really confused, as there are lot of variables involved and Auditions are pretty hard to get.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back